Body fat percentage? What's yours?

Options

Replies

• dolldreams
    dolldreams Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Mine is super high like 40%. I think I belong in the Artic or something. Maybe I am part penguin. I don't feel that fatty and I have muscle definition in my arms and legs and no back fat rolls any more. I think I am storing the bulk of this fat in my abdomen but even that's not protruding much any more so I think it's really deep fat or something.

I have no idea what fat % I will be at when I reach my goal weight because I never took a fat percentage when I was at normal weights.

Good luck to you with your recovery. Just keep asking questions and learning all you can.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

You may say that you are not trying to dismiss her ED - but you are ignoring it which is the same thing as dismissing it.

She realizes that this is too low a weight and is trying to ask advice to improve it -not say 'I was OK so you must be'.

I didn't ignore or dismiss it. I responded to her overstatement that 15% bf and 97 pounds at her height was "horribly unhealthy." I suggested she work on eating and fitness. Her ED is something for her to work on with an expert. That's so obvious I didn't feel I had to mention it.

Distorting the facts doesn't help. I'm tired of everyone with an ED agenda looking for a reason to be offended. Not everyone on this board has an ED. Treating everyone as if they are a patient instead of responding as if they're people who have to deal with challenges in the real world is the better approach in my opinion.

97lbs at 5'3" is pretty unhealthy. The healthy BMI range starts at 106lbs, and I do believe that in this case that BMI is useful.
  • SassetG
    SassetG Posts: 19
    Options
    Body Mass Index: 27.9 kg/m2
    Waist-to-Height ratio: 0.47
    Percent Body Fat: 29.6%
    Lean Body Mass: 114.1 lb

Your BMI is greater than normal, but your waist-to-height ratio is normal.
    You may be overweight or have unusual mass distribution.
    Your diet should contain at least 72 grams of protein per day.

I would consider myself average
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

You may say that you are not trying to dismiss her ED - but you are ignoring it which is the same thing as dismissing it.

She realizes that this is too low a weight and is trying to ask advice to improve it -not say 'I was OK so you must be'.

I didn't ignore or dismiss it. I responded to her overstatement that 15% bf and 97 pounds at her height was "horribly unhealthy." I suggested she work on eating and fitness. Her ED is something for her to work on with an expert. That's so obvious I didn't feel I had to mention it.

Distorting the facts doesn't help. I'm tired of everyone with an ED agenda looking for a reason to be offended. Not everyone on this board has an ED. Treating everyone as if they are a patient instead of responding as if they're people who have to deal with challenges in the real world is the better approach in my opinion.

I do not and never have had an ED - so what on earth are you talking about.

When someone asks advice, you CANNOT ignore the fact that they have an ED.
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    height-5'7
    body weight-155lbs
    lean body mass-121.5lbs(78.4%)
    fat mass-33.5lbs(21.6%)
    BMR-1730

BMR according to MFP-1464

im in healthy range :D
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I'm a guy (41 yrs) so my numbers probably dont really matter much, but I recently had 2 different tests done and they came back very close: 16.1% and 16.3%. I'm 5'10" and 165lbs and have a pretty slim build. Like others have said, ladies should have a higher % than guys. Best wishes on your journey to recovery!

15% is fine. I'm not saying she should go lower. Someone posted a link with photos showing what people, men, and women, look like at various body fat %s.

a picture of what someone LOOKS like at that BF% means nothing. If your reproductive system is completely out of whack because of low BF% you can't see it by looking at the person.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I'm a guy (41 yrs) so my numbers probably dont really matter much, but I recently had 2 different tests done and they came back very close: 16.1% and 16.3%. I'm 5'10" and 165lbs and have a pretty slim build. Like others have said, ladies should have a higher % than guys. Best wishes on your journey to recovery!

15% is fine. I'm not saying she should go lower. Someone posted a link with photos showing what people, men, and women, look like at various body fat %s.

a picture of what someone LOOKS like at that BF% means nothing. If your reproductive system is completely out of whack because of low BF% you can't see it by looking at the person.

Many people thought the link was interesting. I don't know why you feel qualified to make blanket statements about someone you've never met. When I've read about amenorrhea in women athletes, the % has been much lower than 15%.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Many people thought the link was interesting. I don't know why you feel qualified to make blanket statements about someone you've never met. When I've read about amenorrhea in women athletes, the % has been much lower than 15%.

You are totally missing the point here.

EDA: I am pretty sure you made a blanket statement by saying her BF% and weight were healthy
  • neti_call
    neti_call Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Your body fat percent is actually not unhealthy, you just need more lean mass so that percent is a healthier body weight. A perfect candidate for strength training and eating as much as you can make yourself. I've heard that most female body builders are former anorexics who trade the compulsion to not eat for gaining as much muscle as possible, so I guess the best thing is to seek help for the issues underlying the compulsion

Nice, tell a recovering anorexic she's not unhealthy.
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and weigh 110 and my body fat % is 14.7% and I still have my cycle. I have 93% lean muscle mass. I am now working on gaining more muscle but I am happy with where my bf% is....
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Hey OP, I would suggest that you don't listen to the people on here telling you that it's okay. I'm very happy that you understand what you need to do. I'm around your height and I was underweight and looked/felt very sick at 104 pounds but I've gained about 11 pounds so far and now I weight 115 lbs (and I'm still going). The difference is amazing! I have muscles, I have energy, under my eyes aren't dark, I don't feel exhausted all the time, my hair and nails grow strong, my skin is glowing, my mental concentration at school is way better. I would say gain a minimum of 10 pounds like they recommended. And the rest is up to you :) get your body fat % up there and add muscle too. If you need any help, feel free to contact me since we have a somewhat similar height. I'll be more than glad to encourage you with gaining.
  • madisonsteelex
    Options
    A weight gain of 10 lbs is about perfect, 107 lbs is healthy for a female of 5'3" but maybe try to gain closer to 15 just to make sure you're well within the healthy range
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and currently 127 lbs, 22% body fat (according to my scale). I'd like to get down to about 115lbs and 20% body fat. I am very small framed and tend to carry my extra weight disproportionately so I want to get my body fat as low as possible while still keeping in the healthy range. I lift or do resistance training several times per week, in addition to cardio and I think at 115lbs I'll have a comparable body fat percentage to when I was 105lbs, but didn't workout (years ago pre child) and look better and feel better and be healthier than I was then. That is,after all, the ultimate goal, right? Good luck on your journey and I'm glad you have made steps in the right direction to becoming healthier and happier
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,161 Member
    Options
    Male - body fat nearly 12% though I still have a little bit of fat on my lower belly and back.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    My bodyfat is 15.8 according to the fat 2 fit radio Military Body Fat Calculation.

Yet it is 25% according to their normal calculator, and even changing all the measurements made no difference, so I do not trust their regular fat calculator which claimed someone of 5'10 with a 23 inch waist and 33 inch hips and 100 Ibs would be 25% bodyfat lol.

I am 5'10 and 125/126 Ibs. Bmi is around 18.2/3

Good luck with recovery, having suffered with on/off EDs for the last 24 years, I truly hope you get a grip on this and do not end up so caught in the web that you cannot untangle yourself. It is such a waste of life and happiness, to be honest. I would make your goal getting as healthy and fit as you can, and putting your focus in that direction, which is much better than striving to be a low number. I only wish I was finding it easy to follow my own suggestion, lol.
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Good on you and great work in recovering so far already. :)

With a normal body frame (which is sounds like you have) a weight of about 107 will get you into the healthy BMI range - so you are half way there. That is a big achievement and I urge you to continue to trust yourself in your knowledge that your current weight isn't healthy.

In regards to body fat % those who have said 15% is healthy are sort of nearly kinda correct. you need a body fat % above 15% to even have a period at all, and you need about 20% to have it regularly. i personally do not understand all the hype around getting below a body fat % of 20% unless you're a competitive athlete. i guess some people find it aesthetically appealing enough to forgo a healthy reproductive system (surely a healthy reproductive system is part of our definition of health?).

Additionally, I have been hospitalised with a serious infection in the past... in case of these events I do like to have a bit of a fat store on me... doesn't need to be much and i am athletic so it will never be much, but i aim to keep it around 20% this time. I was at 16% when this happened and i strongly contest those who think 15% is adequate in that sort of situation. It took me SO long to recover. This very same situation played out a second time, but this time I had 30% body fat. My recovery time was amazing. (granted, 30% is the highest within acceptable range, and i feel that is totally adequate).

I am currently 2 months out from my 3rd surgery and infection. My body fat is 28% and i am at the upper limit of what i am reasonably comfortable with, aesthetically. My fitness has recovered phenomenally quickly.

Fat is an amazing thing in moderation. :) Keep up your good and hard work!
  • DangerDiv
    DangerDiv Posts: 62
    Options
    Thank you so much for the helpful replies. I can't spend a day without exercising for at least 30 minutes now, so I'd say I'm pretty active most of the week. I think it would be better to raise the % of muscle and decrease the fat, correct?

Hey, just a quick note (I had an ED for a while as a teenager and went to ANAD before undergrad and all that good stuff, so I know what's up, for the most part), be careful with this exercising thing, too. i know a lot of girls in my ANAD group (myself included for a little bit) that were then categorized as bulimics for a while based on exercising.

30 mins a day is good... 7 days a week for someone recovering from an ED is not so good. Talk to your psych/counselor/nutritionist/whoever you've hired to get your through this and double check that what you're doing is ok. The needs I had were VERY different than others.

I would like to think I'm 100% recovered, 'cos now when I think about weight gain, it isn't something I am terrified of, but let me put it this way: I've learned to be ok with fat and letting things go, in general. Make SUREEEEE your 7 days 30 mins thing isn't negating anything you're being taught.

And, for the record, yes... you need to gain weight. If anything, for your own mental stability. Don't worry about these categories of what is ok and what isn't. When I was in recovery, would you believe, I went from 76 lbs to about 145... in MONTHS. and it was cool. it was, like, "whatever, I've been thin, I can def stand to be average for a while.

Now, when I exercise and stuff, I do it 'cos I need to get the hell away from studying all the time. I do it, 'cos I wanna look GOOD, not skinny, just GOOD. I wanna be hot stuff, man. THAT is normal.

But you are super awesome for getting help. Nobody wants a dead friend/family member/etc. So stay up! Keep eating, keep thinking about stuff that ISN'T related to your body, and ease up on the workouts, man. You'll be just fine.

ps- love that i said "quick note" and then I rambled. and ooooooh, girl, I could've kept going, hahahahahhahahha... but alas, I gotta keep working on memorizing stuff for school. if you ever need any help figuring anything out about what you got going on, just hit me up. <3
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    My body fat is 9.9 to 10%. I am 5'4" 104 pounds and according to my Dr. healthy because of my lean mass :)
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Good on you and great work in recovering so far already. :)

With a normal body frame (which is sounds like you have) a weight of about 107 will get you into the healthy BMI range - so you are half way there. That is a big achievement and I urge you to continue to trust yourself in your knowledge that your current weight isn't healthy.

In regards to body fat % those who have said 15% is healthy are sort of nearly kinda correct. you need a body fat % above 15% to even have a period at all, and you need about 20% to have it regularly. i personally do not understand all the hype around getting below a body fat % of 20% unless you're a competitive athlete. i guess some people find it aesthetically appealing enough to forgo a healthy reproductive system (surely a healthy reproductive system is part of our definition of health?).

Additionally, I have been hospitalised with a serious infection in the past... in case of these events I do like to have a bit of a fat store on me... doesn't need to be much and i am athletic so it will never be much, but i aim to keep it around 20% this time. I was at 16% when this happened and i strongly contest those who think 15% is adequate in that sort of situation. It took me SO long to recover. This very same situation played out a second time, but this time I had 30% body fat. My recovery time was amazing. (granted, 30% is the highest within acceptable range, and i feel that is totally adequate).

I am currently 2 months out from my 3rd surgery and infection. My body fat is 28% and i am at the upper limit of what i am reasonably comfortable with, aesthetically. My fitness has recovered phenomenally quickly.

Fat is an amazing thing in moderation. :) Keep up your good and hard work!

Before judging those who do monitor their success by their BF %, keep in mind one number doesn't work for everyone. At 19% I have my cycle routinely every month. I've even been as low as 11% when I competed in Figure and still had my regular cycles then as did many of the girls. People can spit numbers out all the time to try and look educated when the fact of the matter is its truly an individual aspect.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and my bf% is currently 34%. My goal at this point is 25%. Once I get there, I'll set another goal :)

Good luck on putting on your 10 lbs. I think your fam and counselor made a great suggestion.