New to lifting

Options
Ok so I was waaaay to chicken to post this on the bodybuilding.com forums but I'm having trouble working out what size weights to use when I seem to be in the middle. For example I was doing bicep curls today with a barbell now the 10kg bar was pretty light - I could have punched out 3 sets of 15 pretty easy where as the next size up, 15kg I was only able to get out 3 sets of 4 or 5. I'm not sure which to use? I don't want to fall straight back into the 'lower weight higher rep' routine but I didn't feel like I was doing enough with the 15kg. What do you all of you do? I'm 5'5 and 138lb I'm looking to lose about 20lb and get some awesome looking muscles. Also I realise I'm quite weak - my weights will get heavier shortly!! Thanks

Replies

• Melzicious
    Options
    If you can do more than 12 reps with it, increase your weight. 3 sets of 10-12 reps should be about right for starting out.
  • 2April
    2April Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Ok so I was waaaay to chicken to post this on the bodybuilding.com forums but I'm having trouble working out what size weights to use when I seem to be in the middle. For example I was doing bicep curls today with a barbell now the 10kg bar was pretty light - I could have punched out 3 sets of 15 pretty easy where as the next size up, 15kg I was only able to get out 3 sets of 4 or 5. I'm not sure which to use? I don't want to fall straight back into the 'lower weight higher rep' routine but I didn't feel like I was doing enough with the 15kg. What do you all of you do? I'm 5'5 and 138lb I'm looking to lose about 20lb and get some awesome looking muscles. Also I realise I'm quite weak - my weights will get heavier shortly!! Thanks
    Use both - maybe do a set of 15 to warm up then do 2-3 sets with 15kg.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I have that problem a lot with upper body exercises... Because I lack muscle in my entire upper body... Lol so I mostly just change the movement when I'm stuck in between badly, like when I feel completely unchallenged by one and can't do a set of 5 at the next yet. Then I figure next time I come to the movement I'll have developed the requisite strength.

Although I have also been known to do sets of 5 or less because I wanted to be able to do a weight that I probably shouldn't lol
  • lovetobethin86
    lovetobethin86 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    do you have a bar you can use at the gym? like I like using 30 pounds (including the bar) for biceps when I'm doing about 16-20 continuous reps...gets tiring! Otherwise I use either 10, 12 or 15 pound dumbells, depending on how any reps you do (10-12 pounds each would be 16-20 reps and the 15 pound ones would be about 8-10 reps) I would recommend around 12 pound barbells each at least to start. The other thing is, if the 10 kg one is not hard enough, you could also ad another very sall dumbell and hold it in the same hand so your holding two dumbells in one hand but it will not be as heavy as the 15.5 kg....hopefully that makes sense! As long as you are getting tired by around the 10th curl your good, then just make sure its always a challenge
  • usc2626
    usc2626 Posts: 186
    Options
    General rule for size & strength is 8 to 10 reps, for definition and toning 12 to 15.
  • brandon0523
    brandon0523 Posts: 516
    Options
    do 5 sets of 15.. you will build lean muscle and build endurance as well.. And also be burning more calories..
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Buy "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippletoe. He's a very well respected expert on strength training and will help you more than any of these posts.
  • 2April
    2April Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Buy "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippletoe. He's a very well respected expert on strength training and will help you more than any of these posts.
    *Rippetoe
  • amyindm
    amyindm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    ditto on Rippetoe... also love New Rules of Lifting for Women by Schuler, Forsythe and Cosgrove. Solid information and unintimidating.
  • jesska812
    jesska812 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks heaps for all the suggestions everyone. Really appreciate it!