Has anyone used the Debbie Meyer Green bags

Options
I just got them about 2 weeks ago.. At first they seemed great, but as I wash them to use them again they seem to be less effective. the package says they are washable and reusable for 10 times.Most of my vege's do fine, but my banana's especially seem to perish the fastest.

I haven't quite been able to decide if they are worth the price I paid, $10;00 and will I buy them again?

What is your opinion of them.

Replies

• amylynne26
    amylynne26 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that with bananas but everything else they work GREAT! I use the bread bags too because we get awesome (and pricy) bread from a local bakery. Stays super fresh and soft... well worth the $12 to buy the bags even if you have to replace them every couple of months.
  • mizphit
    mizphit Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I used the bags for awhile too but gave up on them. Sometimes they seemed to work well and sometimes they didn't. One thing I noticed about the bananas was the bags would trap a lot of moisture and the skins would get real thin. I also noticed that they didn't work very well after one or two uses.

I finally decided to just buy my produce more often. I have the priviledge of working real close to home and the grocery store, so halfway through the week I run out during my lunch hour and restock my produce supply enough to hold me over until the next major run.

It's a little extra running around, but it works better for me and I don't worry about my produce spoiling---and I eliminated the annoyance of the bags.

The might work better for others, and maybe I wasn't using them right or something. I just decided that they just aren't the best option for me.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about trying them with banana's, but not yet, maybe I won't after reading.

Peppers(red, orange, yellow, green) kept in those bags are the bomb. They're so fresh still after week or more.
    I know we kept something else in it before, and it did superb.

Thinking of if I had to throw away the produce that I let spoil in fridge because I forgot about it.
    Worth the $10 to me.

I'm curious, are the bananas in the bag... in the fridge? or on the counter?
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    A relative gave me a knock off of these bags. My bananas were funky on the counter in them. My spinach lasts a really long time in them, which is good for bagged spinach that usually rots in a few days. I haven't tried them with other veggies or fruits yet. I probably should though.
  • amylynne26
    amylynne26 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I keep my bananas on the counter and noticed the bags were less effective after SEVERAL uses... also I started adding a paper towel to my produce (cucumbers, lettuce, etc.) in the bags in the fridge and that seemed to help. It's been a few months since I bought some bags so really I just need to replace them. I KNOW I've used them all more than 10 times. I get to the farmers market once a week if I'm lucky and they have been a Godsend. We eat salad and fresh veggies way more than we ever did before I found the green bags (thanks Mom).

I literally put every single vegetable that ever enters my house in a green bag. Bread too (in the bread bags lol)
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    I keep my banana's on the counter, but I'm wondering if the fridge would be better. I also have picky eaters that won't touch a banana that isn't Green. I'm afraid the fridge will turn the skins dark before their time?
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Oh man! I only like green bananas or the ones that have just turned yellow and have absolutely no spots. I have to eat my bananas within 2 days of buying them! :laugh:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Oh man! I only like green bananas or the ones that have just turned yellow and have absolutely no spots. I have to eat my bananas within 2 days of buying them! :laugh:

Ditto! It used to always gross me out when my mom said that to make banana bread you need brown bananas. So icky!
  • kimroesler
    Options
    they work great with lettuce and tomatoes but ive had trouble with other stuff...