Advice for someone who want to start Cycling

Options
Investing in a Bike this week. Looking to spend 400.00-500.00. I have no interest in mountain Biking at the momment and May eventually want to get into some small road races. SO I have the following questions-

#1: Should I go with a road bike or since I am such a newbie should I just go with a hybrid for now and upgrade components if I really like it?

#2: Any suggestions on Brand or Model. I like the look to the Trek bikes but I am open to recommendations.

I started running about six months ago and now I am addicticted. I guess I am concerned that I will feel the same way about Cycling and wish I had a road bike if I buy a hybrid.

Thanks for the imput guys!!!!
:drinker:

Replies

• RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    That's a tough call my friend. I'll answer it with a story that may help.

I had the same question 15 years ago.

1) I bough the $250 hybrid, rode the heck out of it for two years but quickly outgrew it

2) I then bought a $650 road bike, rode the heck out of it for two years, but outgrew it

3) I then bought a $2000 road bike, and road it for a decade... and still love it!

It's so hard to say. The hybrid got me biking, but it sure sucked on the roads. Once on the roads, the cheap road bike tore my back up and I wanted a carbon bike. However, I know SO, SO many people spending $1500 on road bikes that never get rode either.

OK... the advice:

If you are not sure about riding...get a flat bar road bike. It can quickly convert to a trail or recreational bike with some cyclocross tires (that's what I did with my hybrid). It also gets you a feel of a road bike w/o the price tag. If it grows on you... don't go cheap on the road bike, you will be better off spending some more $$ and trying to get some carbon and better component group (tiagra, 105, or ultegra).

BTW... I have 2 trek carbon road bikes now and LOVE them. Great brand!

Riding is awesome... good luck pondering.
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    If you're looking to buy a road bike, I love my Cannondale, but Trek makes a great road bike too if that's the brand you like. My old mtn bike was a Trek and I loved it, but I currently have my eye on a Rockhopper hardtail by Specialized. Ultimately, it's a personal choice. Check out your local bike shops and see if they will let you try out a few different bikes for a few days. Some shops have demos they will let you take home to test ride. Hope that helps. Good luck!!!
  • RunRideRay
    Options
    roadbikereviews.com is an excellent place to get user ratings on bikes too. For some budget buys, I think bikesdirect.com has some sweet deals on motobecane's too. Free shipping.... yippee. However, I have always bought at the LBS ...local bike shop.
  • jfilon
    jfilon Posts: 80
    Options
    Hey! I've just started getting into road cycling too so I've done a TON of research lately on the subject. I just bought a new bike (literally; today, actually) to start training for some sprint triathlon races. If you are wanting to get into road races, this is what you would want. Riding on a hybrid bike or a mountain bike doesn't exactly compare. The only thing that is discouraging about buying a road bike is the fact that anything of relatively decent quality is expensive. There's no getting around it. If you're buying a good starter road bike new, plan on spending between 750 and 900 at your LBS. However, in order to stay within your budget, you might want to go with a hybrid bike for now. Trek bikes are very nice, and so is Specialized.

Or, after doing your research, consider buying a used bike. Just make sure you know what the seller is trying to get you to buy. :noway:
  • prayerfulmom
    prayerfulmom Posts: 409
    Options
    I am madly in love with my Specialize road bike. Mine is woman specific. My husband has a Cannondale and loves it. The best thing is to go to a reputable bike shop and talk to the guys and test drive a ton of them. We have mountain bike sand road bikes.
  • jfilon
    jfilon Posts: 80
    Options
    roadbikereviews.com is an excellent place to get user ratings on bikes too. For some budget buys, I think bikesdirect.com has some sweet deals on motobecane's too. Free shipping.... yippee. However, I have always bought at the LBS ...local bike shop.

Just fyi, I've heard a LOT of bad news regarding bikesdirect.com. Might want to check out the reviews first. . .
  • RunRideRay
    Options
    I totally agree on that advice... don't go low end on road bike. The difference between $500 and $1000 is major! For me a carbon fork is very important, and 105 is an excellent group to consider. Either go super cheap on hybrid/flat bar or plan to jump in with some "hobby" investment. The multi-year payoff is great!!!

Also, IF you do go the road bike... budget some money for shoes, helmet, clothes... and do they ever add up. Cycling just is not the same without them either.
  • RunRideRay
    Options
    thanks for the advice on bikesdirect... only eyeing it for now. I want a cheap cyclocross kicker.... but already have 4 bikes.....

I love LBS service so that's what I've always done.
  • Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    Options
    Great advice everyone I really appreciate it. I'll head down to one of the local shops this week and check it out. It sounds like I'll probably go with the Hybrid for now just to get my feet wet and focus on my running as the addiction. If I really like the cycling thing I can buy a road bike next year. I still have some weight to shed before I will look good in tight little bike shorts anyway. lol

Thanks again guys!

:drinker:
  • skywalker
    Options
    I started with a hybrid by Trek. For me the next move was a mtn bike, then a good friend got me into road cycling, which is what I mainly do now. Hybrids are great for light trail and road though. Have fun and good luck.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Check out your LBS, and see what they have to offer. If its a Trek shop, you could most likely take out a Trek line of credit in the store, and then just pay the 500$ and cover the rest on time payments to trek. As mentioned above, a road bike sounds like its what you're going to want, so spend the extra cash to get one. Hybrids and mountain bikes not only feel different, but the gearing is different, the tires are less aerodynamic, and they're heavier. If you've been riding for awhile, you can just feel the difference... its like riding on an Arabian vs a Clydesdale (if you know anything about horses... that's a tiny agile horse, and a big draft horse).

One word of caution though - ask them if anyone can teach you how to repair a flat on the road. Its important. Road bikes get flats quite often, at least around where I live because the roads aren't so nice. If you don't know how to fix it, you could be walking a long ways.

As mentioned above, trek, surly, cannondale, specialized, all make great bikes. I'm partial to trek, surly, and cannondale, however I've heard that specialized makes some of the most comfortable seats on the market today.

If you're looking to ride more than shorter distances, like week long biking trips or longer, surly is the way to go. They're not pretty, but they're rock solid and probably the sturdiest, most comfortable bikes on the market.
  • skywalker
    Options

As mentioned above, trek, surly, cannondale, specialized, all make great bikes. I'm partial to trek, surly, and cannondale, however I've heard that specialized makes some of the most comfortable seats on the market today.

My road bike is Cannondale, but I recently got a women's specific Specialized seat. It's way more comfortable than my old seat.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    If you figure out what you are looking for, check out craigslist.com. There are a lot of cyclist in New England. You might luck out.

I would also suggest getting a component set of Shimano's. The more affordable bikes usually mix tiagra's and 105's.

If you want to get into road biking, i suggest going with a road bike. Get a set of clipless pedals and replace the seat immediately. I don't know what the rule is but the more you spend on a bike the more uncomfortable the stock seat is. Find one that works for you. We kept the bike seat for a reminder or what a torcher device would look like. :happy:

Happy Shopping.
  • msarro
    Options

My road bike is Cannondale, but I recently got a women's specific Specialized seat. It's way more comfortable than my old seat.

Yeah! I was reading that their seats are designed to keep pressure off of your groin, the femoral artery, its mirror on the other side (no idea what its called), and the major nerve bundles that run through your crotch. Because of it, they're just waaaay more comfy to sit on. Glad you could confirm it :)

If you ever feel like spending a ton of cash, you could buy a brooks saddle. They're crazy expensive, but oh my god are they comfortable... once you break them in.
  • RunRideRay
    Options
    About components, just try not to get Sora... they have a different shift system and it's not nearly as natural.

LOL on bike seats. Ya know.... here is what's changed in my mind. When did cycling shorts/bibs ever get to $200!!! They almost have a bike seat sewn into them!!! It's so, so funny! I went and splurged $100 on clearance sugio bibs... it's about 3/4 inch pad! Talk about plush, it's hard to wear anything else. Gotta keep the bum happy.

Ray
  • skywalker
    Options
    A friend of mine has a Brooks. Too rich for my blood...
  • RunRideRay
    Options
    Just a thought to consider.......

I have been a regular on the MFP runner's club topic and it's grown into a great, vivrant place for folks to commune. Anyone interested if we start an MFP pedal power topic? I love reading opinions about gadgets, parts, bikes, and just plain riding.

Any agree???
  • msarro
    Options
    I'd love to, I haven't biked as much this year as the last few because I've been focusing more on running.
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I have a 1980's Miyata Road Bike, it's actually a Japanese racing bike brand. I love it so much! It's so smooth & I use it to get around everywhere! Consider used bikes would be my best advice! My boyfriend builds bicycles for track racing and street as a hobbie & even though he buys brand new frames and parts, he still uses his old Miyata as well because nothing compares! The older road bikes are made with such classic, quality parts & most have a great look to them. Just sayin, that's just my preference. :smile: Enjoy the roads!
  • keppick
    keppick Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    A lot depends on what you want to do... I run errands and go to work. Saves on gas, good for the environent, and exercise. If you want to join a biking group and do weekend road rides with them, see what they have.

I got a commuter bike about a year ago with lots of gears. It's not a mountain bike but definitely not a racing bike like Lance Armstrong might use. I got a Redline from my brother who works for Seattle Bike Supply (so I got a SWEET deal). I also got a back rack, saddlebags, front basket (which is easily detachable), front and rear lights, HELMET, squeeky toy instead of a bell, etc.

Since you don't seem to have access to my brother (or someone similar) I would suggest checking out Consumer Reports (they are on line). It's a big investment so I would say for the money you want to spend right now go for the best value. You will NOT get a race bike for that much money. Also remember about the costs for all the little gizmos you want or need (they add up).

Hope that helps.