Why does a fatter/larger person need more calories?

Options
12346»

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    FOR ONE THING U MAY B EATING 2 MANY FRUITS. U ONLY NEED ONE SERVING OF FRUIT A DAY IF U R EXERCISING LIKE THAT. DNT GET ME WRONG NOW BCZ FRUIT IS GOOD FOR U BT IT STILL DOES CONTAIN A LOTTA SUGAR SO THAT CAN KEEP DAT WEIGHT ON. I ONLY WEIGH 134 & DO INSANITY & IM 5'8" 34 YRS OLD. 2 MUCH FRUIT DAMPERS UR WEIGHT LOSS. ONE SERVING A DAY IS SUFFICIENT, MY TEAM BEACHBODY COACH AND TONY HORTON CREATOR OF P90X SAID THIS ALSO

Christ on toast...

thanks for making me spit my water all over my desk...
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    most people especially newbies, think they are packing on all this muscle when they exercise, but they aren't, especially the female ones. you simply dont have the chemical makeup or the training schedule and definitely not the necessarily calories if you're only eating 1200 calories to build muscle. if all it took to build muscle was a 5 pound weight, a dvd and 30 minutes on the elliptical then why would some bodybuilders need to work out hours and hours targeting specific muscles, eating specialized diets and taking supplements?

That tells me not to bother with any sort of weight lifting at all. Wish you'd told me 4 hours ago before I did my 40 minutes. Thank you.

It seems like you are looking for an easy way out here. Don't use the excuse that you don't understand to not do the work, just keep up the good work, and smile at the results.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    FOR ONE THING U MAY B EATING 2 MANY FRUITS. U ONLY NEED ONE SERVING OF FRUIT A DAY IF U R EXERCISING LIKE THAT. DNT GET ME WRONG NOW BCZ FRUIT IS GOOD FOR U BT IT STILL DOES CONTAIN A LOTTA SUGAR SO THAT CAN KEEP DAT WEIGHT ON. I ONLY WEIGH 134 & DO INSANITY & IM 5'8" 34 YRS OLD. 2 MUCH FRUIT DAMPERS UR WEIGHT LOSS. ONE SERVING A DAY IS SUFFICIENT, MY TEAM BEACHBODY COACH AND TONY HORTON CREATOR OF P90X SAID THIS ALSO

Christ on toast...

I agree, I skip all of the post that look like that, because they suck to read, and I'm not 12.
  • saral8981
    saral8981 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have a sedentary job, I am 30 years old, 5'5 169 pounds. i gained 19 pounds after a gall bladder removal surgery within 9 months.. just trying to figure out the number of calories I should be eating to lose weight. I gained on 1600 so I lowered it to 1400 and still gained. :(
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I have a sedentary job, I am 30 years old, 5'5 169 pounds. i gained 19 pounds after a gall bladder removal surgery within 9 months.. just trying to figure out the number of calories I should be eating to lose weight. I gained on 1600 so I lowered it to 1400 and still gained. :(

Okay. Using those numbers, your BMR is 1487, and you're probably burning around 1800 calories per day before exercise.

It's odd that you gained weight while eating less than 1800 calories per day. How much weight are we talking about, and for how long was it happening? It's totally normal for your weight to go up and down by several pounds from day to day; that's just varying levels of water retention. If you were eating 1400 and 1600 calories per day for several weeks, however, you should have seen a couple pounds of overall weight loss.

Are you sure you're logging everything properly? If you're eating more calories than you think (whether because you didn't log certain things, or have guessed that foods contain less calories than they actually do), that could be a factor.

Assuming your calorie counts are accurate, I'd recommend eating about 1500 calories per day total, and getting in a little bit of cardio exercise (200 calories worth) whenever you can. Around 20 minutes of jogging or light running would do the trick, or whatever type of exercise you prefer.
  • saral8981
    Options
    Thank you for your reccomendations! I will try that. Yes I log everything I eat and drink and I try to overestimate a little on my portion sizes just to make sure I get it right. Thank you!! :smile:
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    If that is the case why are so many of us put on 1200 calorie diets even when we input that we will be working out 5 or 6 times a week?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    If that is the case why are so many of us put on 1200 calorie diets even when we input that we will be working out 5 or 6 times a week?

I've often wondered the same thing?
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I was a weightloss counselor for a few years - and I got this question all the time. Your body needs those calories...as hard as it is to accept - you need to eat to lose weight. If you have more to lose, you require more food to feed your muscles and retain your health; if you eat less than your required number of calories, your body suffers and begins storing your fat in case it needs it later on.

I know how crazy it feels to hear that - I even had trouble applying the principle. But I promise you - I was only injesting 600 calories a day and burning around 750 in the gym. My weight fluctuated up and down 1-2 pounds every week. Once I got on this program and started eating, the weight stabalized and began falling off.

I am 44 years old and re-started training for a 1/2 marathon - I have lost 6 pounds in 1.5 weeks and have yet to really start hitting the gym. All I have been doing is eating.

Good luck!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I was a weightloss counselor for a few years - and I got this question all the time. Your body needs those calories...as hard as it is to accept - you need to eat to lose weight. If you have more to lose, you require more food to feed your muscles and retain your health; if you eat less than your required number of calories, your body suffers and begins storing your fat in case it needs it later on.

I know how crazy it feels to hear that - I even had trouble applying the principle. But I promise you - I was only injesting 600 calories a day and burning around 750 in the gym. My weight fluctuated up and down 1-2 pounds every week. Once I got on this program and started eating, the weight stabalized and began falling off.

I am 44 years old and re-started training for a 1/2 marathon - I have lost 6 pounds in 1.5 weeks and have yet to really start hitting the gym. All I have been doing is eating.

Good luck!
    I like you and what you had to say! You got it going on!
  • saral8981
    Options

I have been wondering about that too...
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

I have been wondering about that too...

When you choose "I want to lose 2 pounds per week", it overrides everything else and gives you the maximum amount of calorie deficit to a minimum of 1,200 calories a day to attain it. MFP doesn't count exercise until you DO it and then it tells you to eat more.