Whats thebest exercise for people who aren't in shape

Options
13»

Replies

• Tis27
    Tis27 Posts: 16
    Options
    your posts looks like something I would say! I have done the same things and have lost weight twice in the past just to have it all come back on and then some. this is how I know I can do it if I don't get down on myself....something you and I have in common it appears!! Walk....Walk....Walk....thats all I did before when I lost weight....I just walked. The first time I was just bored....just ended a bad 2 year relationship and had to figure out what to do with myself, so I took my dog and just walked around town....didn't even realize how much weight I had lost until I saw my grandmother after not having seen her for couple months and she asked what I was doing to make myself disappear so fast. I was so shocked I went home and pulled out my skinny clothes....and they fit!!! the Second time I was successful was in preparation for my sisters wedding, I refused to order the dress size they measured me at so I ordered one 3 sizes smaller....the wedding was in July, the order went in in March.....I had a lot of work to do....so I walked, everyday....well to be honest, I started slow but once I got into it again I walked everyday, first thing in the morning, even though it meant getting up at 5am some mornings and starting my walk half asleep. I walked with my dog for an hour everyday. By the time the dress came in....it zipped right up!
    NO you aren't a wimp....it's hard to develop new habits....especially after years of being a couch potatoe (I speak for myself here) but walking is the best exercise for people who aren't in shape.....for sure!!! start slow....half an hour every other day, then every day, then 45 minutes and just gradually build up to whatever you can do. I just started again....so I completely sympathize and I have (yikes!!) 170 lbs to lose so I am very discouraged, but it is possible, just take your time.....it won't happen over night
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is right on with walking. I used to think it wasn't really an "exercise", but over the years have seen how much better I am at longer distances!

Total agreement, I thought I always walk how can that make me lose weight, so I never bothered, I now walk loads, I walk my bus route to work then I'd jump on the bus when I've had enough, I now regularly walk the whole route 9 miles, also I do use the extra calories too.

5825327.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Speedtrap
    Speedtrap Posts: 216
    Options
    Like all the others I agree with walking, I lost 30 lbs by just watching what I eat and getting a good pedometer.
    I started working my way up to 10K steps a day.
    As well I started biking, on a comfort bike, but now I am up to 3, Mtn Bike, Cruiser, and a road bike.

If you enjoy biking, give it a try, if you live not too far from work it is a great way to get some cardio in when you are going to work every day.
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    The lesson here is start easy. A little slow exercise is far better than sitting on the couch. Track what you do so you can see improvement and especially don't try so much that you get discouraged. Your body WILL get stronger but at its own pace.

This is actually the most important thing to remember. It doesn't matter if you meet any expectations to start with. If you stick with it, you will be surprising yourself. I was a great runner in high school (ok, a good runner) and could easily knock out a mile in under 5 minutes. 20 years (and 50+ pounds) later, I couldn't run a mile at 6 mph (10 minute mile) without taking a break. Talk about failing to meet expectations! I started hitting the gym (even when it sucked) and I'm now to the point where I can knock out 40 minutes straight on the treadmill at 6.5 mph. It isn't great to what other people do and not where I want to be, but it is improvement.

For anyone working on getting in shape, it's about improving from where you are, not stressing about how you compare to others.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    You can do any stinkin' thing you want to do, just scale it to your fitness level.

Want to run? Start with something like Couch to 5k, even if you have to scale it down to run 30 second intervals to start instead of one minute intervals, and running at a pace that's barely faster than you can walk. Want to bike? Go right ahead and ride. Want to lift weights? Start with whatever weight you can manage. It doesn't matter where you start... you're going to improve. And that improvement in your fitness level is even more rewarding that watching the number on the scale drop.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Walking, but make sure to push yourself. You have to get used to getting your heart rate up and being comfortable with that. I would also recommend light stretching.
  • tena1785
    tena1785 Posts: 27
    Options
    Walking.. If your walking outside, try to walk a little faster between mailboxes. Before you know it, you will be walking faster the majority of the time.
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter where you start... you're going to improve.

Love this :happy:
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    You can do any stinkin' thing you want to do, just scale it to your fitness level.

Want to run? Start with something like Couch to 5k, even if you have to scale it down to run 30 second intervals to start instead of one minute intervals, and running at a pace that's barely faster than you can walk. Want to bike? Go right ahead and ride. Want to lift weights? Start with whatever weight you can manage. It doesn't matter where you start... you're going to improve. And that improvement in your fitness level is even more rewarding that watching the number on the scale drop.

This is the best I read. Just get yourself moving the best you can at the levelyou are now. Improvements will come.
  • PAnn1
    PAnn1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Walking is great. I also love Leslie Sansone workout DVDs- she has all stuff for all fitness levels and her- they are basically walk in place and add sidesteps, kicks, kick backs, knee lifts, all while adding simple arm movements (her newer ones incorporate a few different moves but nothing too tricky). I am not very coordinated so don't do well with complicated choreography. The great thing about the them is they use a lot of different muscles and get the body moving in more than one way- and it is great to pop in a DVD when the weather is yucky.

Here is a link to Collage Video where you preview the videos.

http://www.collagevideo.com/exercise-videos/leslie-sansone-exercise-videos-10
    I too love Leslie and walk with her almost nightly for the past two years! Her walks are geared for just about anyone, including kids and seniors. You will work your whole body with her walks!
  • lisaishotpink
    Options
    I started on the elliptical machine (pushed myself and did 30min a day then started circuit training with 5min sprinting on the machine and 5min strength training=60min total) and of course walking whenever and wherever I could. Then I incorporated the Zumba Exhilarate DVDs, which I LOVE, and recently a Tae Bo cardio DVD.

I still have 60-70 ish lbs to go, but I have lost 36lbs in just under 100 days doing all these things plus watching what I eat.

Any movement is better than no movement! It will be sweaty and uncomfortable at first, but it will only get easier (but still sweaty lol). Do what you can and don't give up!
  • coolbluecris
    coolbluecris Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone

Since I wasn't the original poster in this message, I can't tell who replied particularly to me or to Post no 1, but all the replies have been awesome. You guys are awesome !! Thank you so much for your wonderful replies.

I will report that I decided for now to stop trying to jog. I wore a heart rate monitor today, and discovered that I'm working at 70%+ of my maximum heart rate just by walking. So that's good for the moment. (I was shocked though, because long ago, I couldn't reach 60% by walking, but after having kids . . .)

Re cycling: the advice was awesome too. Just to let you know, I did get myself a broad, soft seat for my bike. It does make a huge difference. Although I find slight inclines easy to walk, I find them difficult to ride. But I know that will improve.

I hate working with weights, even though I know all the benefits, so instead of working in the weights section of the gym, I'm going to try Body Pump this week.

Thanks so much everyone!
  • graciemom828
    Options
    I agree with all the posts stating walking - also if you live where this is a Curves club - I got my start to exercise with that and it was great. It is a good atmosphere with circuit training and you don't have to plan a routine. Walking is super however.