GRRR

Options
Okay, I'm not trying to complain, this is more just a rant to myself to get myself back on track. I haven't gained any weight back but I've been at the same weight for like three weeks now, all because of my bad choices!! I was FINALLY back on track and then tonight, when I had TONS of calories saved for a few drinks and a brat at a ballgame, I STILL managed to blow it by having nachos and going out to Denny's afterwards!! What is wrong with me!?!?!?!? I am SO getting back on the wagon tomorrow and NOT falling off. I don't care how tempting it is to have a few drinks, the truth is I just can't have a few drinks without wanting to eat like crazy so I'm just not going to drink!!

Wow, sorry to waste anyone's time but I needed to get that out there, mostly for myself!!

Replies

• weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    You are a human being, so don't beat yourself up for acting like one. Earlier today, I came up with something for another thread that might help. I call it my "TEN COMMANDMENTS of PERMANENT Weight Loss:

itGood luck!! Just get back on the horse and continue your journey.:flowerforyou: Item 6 and 10 seem particularly suited to your post.

After fighting the battle from the time I was about 11 years old, I have learned a few things that I would like to share, so here are my 10 Commandments of PERMANENT Weight Loss:

1. "Normal" is what you make it. So I have changed my "normal" diet to one that does allow me to have things I like, but in moderation. I LIKE breads, and pasta.:heart::heart: Thus, although I lost on a low carb program, Adkins is not comfortable for me, long term, so when I went off of it, I gained.

2. Veggies are your friend.:love::love: In addition to the nutrients they provide, and "good carbs," they are very filling. They can help you reduce your calories and not feel you are starving to death.

3. You can EAT ANYTHING you want, if you P L A N for it, calorie-wise. When I have a special occasion or a dinner out where I know I will be exposed to things I like but don't have everyday, I don't have to deprive myself, because I can go into the MFP database ahead of time, figure out the caloric "cost" of different things and plan how to order. Many restaurants have nutritional information on their websites, which is also helpful for this purpose.

4. People who severely limit their calories will lost, BUT as soon as they try to eat any additional, they will gain very easily. This is because the body becomes too "efficient" by slowing the metabolism to get by with less. The way around this that has worked well for me is "Zig zag calories." You can google it and get all kinds of info, but simply put, you eat MORE on a given day, on a regular basis. For me, every 3 -4 weeks, I will do a day where I might have 2000-2200 calories on a given day. This is different from the other days, where I have 1200-1400 per day.

This WORKS. I lost 20 lbs. in 9 weeks. I have NOT been hungry. I am not feeling deprived. I have foods in my kitchen that would normally send me in to "binge" mode, but they don't bother me now, because I know I can have them, as long as I take into account what else I will be able to eat that day.

5. EXERCISE matters!! I haven't started strength training yet, for reasons of time and practicality, BUT, I am the queen of walking. I average 20-28 miles a week. It is free, can be done by most anyone, baring physical limitations, and if you get yourself a cheap MP3 player (it doesn't HAVE to be a spendy IPOD) load some fast tunes on it, you will be surprised how quickly the time flies.

If you are trying to lose and you are only doing strength training, you are going to be disappointed with the results in terms of pounds lost, but you will likely firm up, build muscle (helps boost your metabolism) and be more toned, so include some cardio for a complete program of exercise.

6. Be responsible for what you put in your mouth. I have heard, and used all the excuses. "It was there" "I was hungry" "My boyfriend made me go to the pizza parlor" :devil: 'or to Baskin & Robbins.":devil: (ice cream chain for those that are not familiar w/the name) That last statement may be true, but he didn't hold a gun to your head and FORCE you to eat 5 slices of pizza instead of having one slice and a salad!!:laugh: and no one threatened you into having a 3 scoop banana split instead of a child size dish of your favorite flavor.:laugh:

7. People who log their foods lose more weight than those who don't . Thank goodness for MFP!!!:drinker: People who have a support system, whether family, friends, or online --such as right here-MFP!! are more likely to be successful over the long term than those who don't.

8. People who make permanent changes in the way they deal with food and how and what they eat will lose, maybe not as fast as on a crash diet, but they are much more likely to lose PERMANENTLY!!

9. Be sure to eat enough PROTEIN, and GOOD FATS (Nuts, Avocados, Fish oil/ Omega 3's). The protein will keep your body from consuming muscle to survive, and the fats will help you feel satisfied and avoid the "hungries."

10. Don't use a screw up as an excuse for "falling off the wagon" for the entire day, or week, or month. "I ate a bunch of cookies, so that makes me a failure, therefore, l will eat an entire pizza!!" Hey while I am at it, lets get a burger a fries and a milkshake for lunch tomorrow!!"

And on a related note, remember "FOOD is intended as FUEL." --NOT a source of comfort. Think of it in those terms, and find other ways to satisfy your emotional needs and you will succeed in the long run.

Good luck everyone, :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • HealthyEscape
    Options
    You are a human being, so don't beat yourself up for acting like one. Earlier today, I came up with something for another thread that might help. I call it my "TEN COMMANDMENTS of PERMANENT Weight Loss:

itGood luck!! Just get back on the horse and continue your journey.:flowerforyou: Item 6 and 10 seem particularly suited to your post.

After fighting the battle from the time I was about 11 years old, I have learned a few things that I would like to share, so here are my 10 Commandments of PERMANENT Weight Loss:

1. "Normal" is what you make it. So I have changed my "normal" diet to one that does allow me to have things I like, but in moderation. I LIKE breads, and pasta.:heart::heart: Thus, although I lost on a low carb program, Adkins is not comfortable for me, long term, so when I went off of it, I gained.

2. Veggies are your friend.:love::love: In addition to the nutrients they provide, and "good carbs," they are very filling. They can help you reduce your calories and not feel you are starving to death.

3. You can EAT ANYTHING you want, if you P L A N for it, calorie-wise. When I have a special occasion or a dinner out where I know I will be exposed to things I like but don't have everyday, I don't have to deprive myself, because I can go into the MFP database ahead of time, figure out the caloric "cost" of different things and plan how to order. Many restaurants have nutritional information on their websites, which is also helpful for this purpose.

4. People who severely limit their calories will lost, BUT as soon as they try to eat any additional, they will gain very easily. This is because the body becomes too "efficient" by slowing the metabolism to get by with less. The way around this that has worked well for me is "Zig zag calories." You can google it and get all kinds of info, but simply put, you eat MORE on a given day, on a regular basis. For me, every 3 -4 weeks, I will do a day where I might have 2000-2200 calories on a given day. This is different from the other days, where I have 1200-1400 per day.

This WORKS. I lost 20 lbs. in 9 weeks. I have NOT been hungry. I am not feeling deprived. I have foods in my kitchen that would normally send me in to "binge" mode, but they don't bother me now, because I know I can have them, as long as I take into account what else I will be able to eat that day.

5. EXERCISE matters!! I haven't started strength training yet, for reasons of time and practicality, BUT, I am the queen of walking. I average 20-28 miles a week. It is free, can be done by most anyone, baring physical limitations, and if you get yourself a cheap MP3 player (it doesn't HAVE to be a spendy IPOD) load some fast tunes on it, you will be surprised how quickly the time flies.

If you are trying to lose and you are only doing strength training, you are going to be disappointed with the results in terms of pounds lost, but you will likely firm up, build muscle (helps boost your metabolism) and be more toned, so include some cardio for a complete program of exercise.

6. Be responsible for what you put in your mouth. I have heard, and used all the excuses. "It was there" "I was hungry" "My boyfriend made me go to the pizza parlor" :devil: 'or to Baskin & Robbins.":devil: (ice cream chain for those that are not familiar w/the name) That last statement may be true, but he didn't hold a gun to your head and FORCE you to eat 5 slices of pizza instead of having one slice and a salad!!:laugh: and no one threatened you into having a 3 scoop banana split instead of a child size dish of your favorite flavor.:laugh:

7. People who log their foods lose more weight than those who don't . Thank goodness for MFP!!!:drinker: People who have a support system, whether family, friends, or online --such as right here-MFP!! are more likely to be successful over the long term than those who don't.

8. People who make permanent changes in the way they deal with food and how and what they eat will lose, maybe not as fast as on a crash diet, but they are much more likely to lose PERMANENTLY!!

9. Be sure to eat enough PROTEIN, and GOOD FATS (Nuts, Avocados, Fish oil/ Omega 3's). The protein will keep your body from consuming muscle to survive, and the fats will help you feel satisfied and avoid the "hungries."

10. Don't use a screw up as an excuse for "falling off the wagon" for the entire day, or week, or month. "I ate a bunch of cookies, so that makes me a failure, therefore, l will eat an entire pizza!!" Hey while I am at it, lets get a burger a fries and a milkshake for lunch tomorrow!!"

And on a related note, remember "FOOD is intended as FUEL." --NOT a source of comfort. Think of it in those terms, and find other ways to satisfy your emotional needs and you will succeed in the long run.

Good luck everyone, :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

THIS IS AWESOME! I am printing it RIGHT now and posting it on my closet door where I keep
    my exercise calendar and motivational pics of Tara from Biggest Loser! Thank you for posting this!
  • Lookgreat
    Lookgreat Posts: 63
    Options
    really awesome - great tips - thanks for sharing!:flowerforyou:
  • truedecember
    truedecember Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Wow those are great tips! Thanks so much for posting!!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I am glad you liked my writing. It just sort of came to me in response to another poster who was wanting to know how to make "this time" be "different." This person had issues with staying on track and yo yo dieting. I started writing and when I got about to item 7, I realized with a little tweaking, I could come up with the "Ten Commandments," so I did.

No way am I comparing myself to our Lord or even to Moses, in terms of being the messenger, but I am happy to share what I have figured out after 55 years.

You guys are lucky. All but one of those who have posted so far on this thread are in your twenties, so you can, if you choose, benefit from what I have learned for far longer than I probably will, though, like most baby boomers, I still think I am invincible:drinker: and will, therefore, live forever:smile:

Keep fighting the good fight. Right after I post this, I am updating my ticker, as I am down another lb. today. That makes 21 in 10 weeks--not bad for a middle aged woman who previously had being a couch potato down to an art form!!:laugh: