Lifters? how early of an age should you start??

Options
Fitwam
Fitwam Posts: 275 Member
Hello y'all...
My daughter who will be 15 in couple of weeks is not begging to go the gym with me. Don't get me wrong..LOVE the company and love the fact that she is wanting to be healthy and fit (and I am sure the fact it is already bikini season in Georgia has a lot do with it ;-)! )

Problem is all she wants to do is CARDIO, CARDIO, CARDIO. she will first start on the treadmill, then go over to the bike...and do miles.

She is around 5'4" or 5'5" inches tops..and wears a size 0! I know her concern is her belly (like there is one) but my comment to her is "lift". I've tried to share with her samples of women who may even weigh more on here, but the difference the weights made in their bodies! She just turns her nose up and says "I don't want to bulk". UGH

But then I got to thinking...when is it time to start lifting for young people? I mean she is probably as tall as she will be...my son who is 11 and is into soccer probably has it least two more growth spurts left...when is it appropriate to incorporate lifting in their fitness?

Just a curious question...

Replies

• BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Your daughter I believe is falling victim to the media and uneducated peer pressure. Not a fault of hers or yours, but it is going to be an uphill battle to convince her to hit the iron once in a while. She may be building the stamina right now with the cardio, but is she building any strength? That might be an avenue to pursue. Not to lift something heavy, but to basically lift "something substantial (like heavy grocery bags)." Just as you can eat empty calories (like a potato chip), you can also burn empty calories (like burning muscle instead of fat). No muscle tone gives the impression of pockets of fat that people think they need to burn.

As for the age...I have read probably the same things you have, that lifting at a young age is harmful, yada, yada, yada....
    However, I have 4 boys. My youngest is 8 and my oldest is 20 now. All are engaged in sports with my youngest probably with the most natural talent. He just finished his 3rd year of wrestling. He does lift those 5 and 10 lb barbells quite often in addition to his skills and conditioning training. (he weights 51 lbs and has the body of a rock) This past March, he was able to do 537 push-ups at one time. To me, his conditioning and training helped, but it was also some of the weight training he did.

Weight training in moderation will do wonders for a person no matter the age. Exercise in general, and great eating habits will contribute to very long lasting positive affects as well.

Before the nay-sayers jump in here...no, I do not push him. He is active. He is very strong, as are his brothers. He is learning what it takes to have a great body not for looks but for health reasons. He does this because he likes it and as his father I watch, guide, and will protect him wherever the direction takes him. Is he building his ticket through a great college career, I don't know. But what I do know is he is healthy, and does not sit in front of a computer all day long.

Work with your daughter, she will come around to recognize the iron in addition to the cardio will do wonders for her.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Some train as early as 7-8 if they do things like gymnastics. Most of that is natural training like handstands etc that strength arms. I'd say 15 is plenty old enough to train lightly as long as she is eating enough. My brother was 16 or so when he first start weight training as a class in high school. He put on about 50 lbs of muscle weight over the course of a school year(he was 98 lbs soaking wet when he started). I started some lifting around the same age but then really got into it at the gym around 17-18.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Zoe Smith who is on the GB Olympic weightlifting team has just turned 18 and started winning titles when she was 14. Not that I'm suggesting your daughter starts lifting twice her bodyweight just yet!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I started just before I turned 18.
    However, if I knew at 15, what I knew at 18 in terms of not bulking up, and awesome strength gains, I would've definitely started then!!
  • Fitwam
    Options
    Thanks everyone! And I agree with ya!

And Psulion...YEP! you read my mind. Just as I was really encouraging her...I remembered reading somewhere it was thought to be damaging for a young person to train! When I was in HS...I started lifting with the girl's basketball team (I went to a baptist school...not that was BAD or anything...BUT..) a deacon walked by and saw us all lifting and put a quick STOP to it. When I went off to college to play ball the first thing my coach said to me..."we are putting you on a weight training program" I've always remembered that! and it was a long time ago.... wink wink

Yes, I think she is going to do cardio to the cows come home...and I wish I could get her lifiting just a little. Not heavy right now...but lift!

I haven't even thought about my son! He is really little and fast as anything on soccer...but he does come in and do some of my JM videos with me.

Overall, just want to set a healthy example for the kids.

thanks again for everyone's input. Makes me feel better knowing that the weights won't "damage" them for life LOL
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Remember, lifting heavy for her, won't be the same as lifting heavy for you. There is no harm that I know of in it.

My 14yr old daughter is beginning to develop a skinny/fat belly...and I've definitely been considering taking her to the gym with me...just to get her excited about her health. Father/daughter time is important to us anyhow, and I can't think of a better way to spend it than together and teaching her habits that will benifit her for the rest of her life.

As for your daughter...there's a NUMBER of 18 (and I'm sure younger) year old young women on this site that lift heavy. SergeantSunshine is a perfect example (you can see her on the first page of the bottom thread listed below).

Show her these threads:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/535512-real-mfp-women-weight-training-befores-and-afters

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/573885-i-am-annoyed-with-the-anti-lady-muscle-posts

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/574407-honest-body-opinions-add-your-own-pic-too
    (in this post, there are examples of skinny/fat women, and the overall consensus is LIFT WEIGHTS!!)

There are dozens of others as well.
  • JaimeNay
    JaimeNay Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I sub at the High School and I know all the girls that play sports (basketball, softball and even cheerleaders) are required to have lifting days at the gym as part of their training. They start letting kids (girls and boys) lift during the summer when they hit 6th-7th grade. Coaches are there to keep an eye on them and teach them safety, but it is encouraged by parents and staff here. Small school, but 90% of the boys have 6 pack abs and the girls look great too. I have 3 boys and my older two boys (age 13 & 15) lift all the time and enjoy it. My niece is 17 and does all three sports above and she lifts too. So tell your daughter if the cheerleaders do it and look good without bulking up, she can too. Good luck!
  • millers617
    millers617 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I started lifting in 8th grade. I was similar to your daughter, I was 5'3 and was a size 0 then. In high school I lifted 3 days a week outside of sports and gained 8 pounds of muscle and was a size 2. NO belly, all toned muscle, I long for those toned arms :) Maybe I can dig out a picture for you to show her :) I loved lifting because it made me feel so strong.

All I did were compound lifts:
    Squats
    Bench Press
    Dead lift
    Overhead press
    Dips
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I began lifting when I was in the 9th grade, about your daughters age I think. I might have lifted a little before then but I wasn't religiously into it. I never had any health issues concerning lifting.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    I started lifting in 8th grade. I was similar to your daughter, I was 5'3 and was a size 0 then. In high school I lifted 3 days a week outside of sports and gained 8 pounds of muscle and was a size 2. NO belly, all toned muscle, I long for those toned arms :) Maybe I can dig out a picture for you to show her :) I loved lifting because it made me feel so strong.

All I did were compound lifts:
    Squats
    Bench Press
    Dead lift
    Overhead press
    Dips

I'm sorry, but that's freakin awesome lol.
  • mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I started lifting in high school, specifically for sports. I definitely gained muscle, but didn't bulk up. The free weights and machines were nice and all, but now I'm really into body weight exercises. If your daughter is still afraid to touch weights, she can learn a bunch of awesome body weight exercises and she'll see great results in terms of gaining strength and muscle definition. I do understand her concerns - I was afraid I'd have giant arms or legs or something, but guess what? Genetics said NO! Girls won't look like they're on steroids unless they are actually ON steroids.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    i used to go to the gym with my dad and lift weights and do machines when i was like 11- 12 .. doesn't matter if you are there to be sure they are safe and doing it correctly!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    I started lifting when I was 15! Sophomore in high school

Only cardio just made me skinny fat. I still had belly pudge :C But lifting is what completely TRANSFORMED my body. Show her some progress pictures with weights!

I have been lifting since 15 and am very strong because of it today. I also thought I was going to "bulk up my arms" So neglected them and am paying for it now -.-

weight lifting got me this tummy:
    FxCam_1335548987263.jpg

FxCam_1330632950560.jpg

185 pound squat and 225 pound deadlift and I am not Bulky!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I also started lifting since high school. The fear of "bulking" is so weird to me. I've never thought I could get huge "on accident". I've always like the look of women with muscles.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Only cardio just made me skinny fat. I still had belly pudge :C But lifting is what completely TRANSFORMED my body. Show her some progress pictures with weights!

I have been lifting since 15 and am very strong because of it today. I also thought I was going to "bulk up my arms" So neglected them and am paying for it now -.-

FxCam_1335548987263.jpg

FxCam_1330632950560.jpg

Show them the before picture hun.

Her progress is seriously impressive...hopefully the OP's daughter looks at these pictures.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I started lifting at 14/15 years old...but thats because I played sports (I ran track).. Although I ran track since 6 years old, its when I got into high school when I started to lift weights with my team, etc.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Before lifting:

FxCam_1301699826268.jpg

FxCam_1301699845465.jpg

Lifting is one of the best things you can do for your body! Show her she wont get bulky (:
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/powerlifting-world-record-holder-13-old-girl-colorado-194316479.html

Assuming good form is taught by a reputable individual, it's never too young.
  • Fitwam
    Options

FxCam_1335548987263.jpg

FxCam_1330632950560.jpg

OMG! Will def show her the before and after!! That is awesome!! She is gorgeous and has a nice belly...but she doesn't understand the difference of what YOU'VE got hun!! AWESOME!! And thanks so much for sharing. I will def let her see this!!
  • crisanderson27
    Options

FxCam_1335548987263.jpg

FxCam_1330632950560.jpg

OMG! Will def show her the before and after!! That is awesome!! She is gorgeous and has a nice belly...but she doesn't understand the difference of what YOU'VE got hun!! AWESOME!! And thanks so much for sharing. I will def let her see this!!

That's why I pointed her out to you initially. She's a perfect example of why you should strength train...and just how UNbulky you will become!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!