Teenagers at the gym

Options
I work at the front desk of a local gym.

I have these two members (teenaged girls maybe 16 years old??? and Im guessing bffs) anywho they come in to the gym about 5x a week.

When they come in they use the weight machines and put little to no weight on there and they laugh and giggle and play around.
and then when they use the treadmills they have it on like 1.0 speed on 0 incline and again just laugh and giggle.

They really arent working out at all.

One girl is chubby and her friend who is there for support is very very tiny. I know when the girl joined she stated that she was interested in dropping some weight. Like I said they come in very often yet do nothing and obviously see no results.

Should I tell them something? Offer advice maybe? I know its me observing and being nosey but still.

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    If there are staff members around, maybe you could "arrange" for one of them to offer these girls some guidance.....not in a mean way, totally being helpful. They may not realize they aren't really doing anything like a workout, and just need some help. Nice of you to notice them that way instead of getting annoyed with them.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. Teenagers already have all the answers anyway ;)

Seriously though, if they ask for advice, I'd give it. Otherwise, probably not. Talking to teenage girls about weight issues is like walking on ice.
  • pduckworth
    pduckworth Posts: 133
    Options
    If there are staff members around, maybe you could "arrange" for one of them to offer these girls some guidance.....not in a mean way, totally being helpful. They may not realize they aren't really doing anything like a workout, and just need some help. Nice of you to notice them that way instead of getting annoyed with them.
    I like this idea. See if you can have somebody give them a bit of advice.

I'm technically still a teenager for like another month, LOL. I'd listen to advice if I was serious about losing weight.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I generally avoid giving unsolicited advice.
  • mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    They are still being active and that counts. I know when I was their age I was in the gym 3 hours a day 5 days a week. I showed no progress (dang PCOS), but it kept me from ballooning up. I was doing 2 hours of step aerobics and 1 hour of weights. Does your gym have zumba or aerobics? Maybe mention it to them and they might have more fun in doing that.
  • marcy_76
    marcy_76 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I see that a lot at my gym, too. Good for you for not getting annoyed. I would talk to your supervisor and see what he/she says about the situation. I mean, are they just playing around or are they really thinking they're working out? Anyway, talk to your supervisor, and maybe she can help you arrange for someone to offer the girls some help.
  • Mikelobov
    Mikelobov Posts: 44
    Options
    You could have a trainer there treat it like a standard operating procedure. Asking the girls how they are enjoying the gym and if they have any questions about their workouts or how to make them more efficient.

Addressing this "issue" directly will lead to a teen girl rampage. Addressing it like they aren't being singled out and it's just customary takes away the awkwardness of the situation, and provides a chance for results.
  • HURLEYX3RO
    HURLEYX3RO Posts: 269
    Options
    I see that a lot at my gym, too. Good for you for not getting annoyed. I would talk to your supervisor and see what he/she says about the situation. I mean, are they just playing around or are they really thinking they're working out? Anyway, talk to your supervisor, and maybe she can help you arrange for someone to offer the girls some help.

Im not really too sure could be a combo of both.
    I really try not to get annoyed by it. Its difficult at times because they do make a mess not to mention a ton of noise, but like everyone is saying I dont wanna single them out, but yes I am looking into maybe getting one of the trainers to maybe go and talk to them see what they can offer for them. Im sure they dont want my advise bc well Im not the fittest looking person in the world and I only work the front desk.