My dog got in a cat fight this morning :(

Options
spicy618
spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
Morning all,

I'm having a really bad Monday.

I was running late for work this morning, my son misses the school bus, and it's raining cats and dogs. I didn't have time to walk the dog, so I decided to let her "go" in the backyard. I looked before opening the door, because the neighbor feeds stray cats and they are all over the place. With the cost clear, I open the sliding door and from out of nowhere a cat jumps out and starts running, but Ruby is too quick. They get into a fight and the cat really did a number on Ruby. She is all scratched up. I cleaned her up with peroxide and neosporin, but the cat is an alley cat and i think those scratches will get infected.

Things are really tight financially, I can't afford to take her to the vet. This month, she was limping bad and I HAD to get her checked out. Turns out she has Hip Displacia (sp). $200 for X-rays and the visit. I can't afford to take her again.

Is there something I can do at home to avoid infection, besides what I did? Are there any home remedies that you know of? Any Vet techs out there that can suggest something over the counter?

Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated :flowerforyou:

BTW, I own a townhouse and bought it with a fenced-in yard because I have a dog. I'm very careful to avoid things like this. Today just isn't a good day :cry:

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I would call your vet and ask them what to do for her. Explain that it's not something that you feel she needs to be taken in for but you'd appreciate it if they could at least tell you what to do to avoid infection.

I'm sorry that happened. I hope your pup is ok.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Aw, I hope you have a better day! Just be sure to wash the cuts and use peroxide, and just keep an eye on them. If they start to turn any color but red/pink, like a yellow/green, I would get it checked out so it doesn't get infected.
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry that you're having such a crappy day. I'd say give the dog a bath and use some antibacterial cleaner on the scratches like you would on yourself. Then, if you can, put something like bacitracin (neosporin) to help avoid any infections and bandage him up.

Our old Springer Spaniel wasn't fond of cats and the next door neighbor's used to come taunt her while she was on her leash. Well, one day, the cat came over to taunt my dog without realizing she wasn't on the leash (we were with her). Suffice it to say, my dog was faster than I was and it didn't end well for the cat.

I hope your day gets better!
  • spicy618
    Options
    Thank you Pals!

Very good suggestions. I'm going to do all of those things. :flowerforyou:
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I also recommend the Neosporin or any antibiotic cream on her, safe to use on all animals....
  • HJCsDaddy
    HJCsDaddy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Buy a bb gun and declare marshall law on the cats.
  • spicy618
    Options
    Buy a bb gun and declare marshall law on the cats.

I don't have the heart. :laugh:
  • rouleaux
    rouleaux Posts: 31
    Options
    Hello,
    I'm a small animal vet, and while I'm hesitant to give out advice without actually seeing the patient (in this day and age of the lawsuit!), it can't hurt to discuss common wound care "in general".... which typically involves shaving the hair around wounds (e.g. electric shaver) and then cleaning the wounds gently with a disinfectant soap and lots of water - need to flush that wound as much as possible, and prevent stray hairs from wandering into the wound (depending on length of haircoat and location of wound). I rarely use hydrogen peroxide, as it can be a little harsh and after the first cleaning I would not continue to use it - it can delay wound healing. Then I would apply neosporin or some other form of triple antibiotic cream. But... most importantly, is to prevent the dog from licking the wounds - this includes night time, during the day when the owner's not around, ect - the easiest way is to put a plastic "cone" or e-collar on - again, this may not be needed depending on where they are located, but it is really really important to prevent them from licking (saliva is full of bacteria and it will just cause a secondary infection). If there is heat / warmth / swelling, pain, fluid, pus, or a smell from the wounds, decreased appetite or energy level, changes in behaviour, swelling, etc - means it's time for a vet visit. Hope things go well!
  • spicy618
    Options
    Hello,
    I'm a small animal vet, and while I'm hesitant to give out advice without actually seeing the patient (in this day and age of the lawsuit!), it can't hurt to discuss common wound care "in general".... which typically involves shaving the hair around wounds (e.g. electric shaver) and then cleaning the wounds gently with a disinfectant soap and lots of water - need to flush that wound as much as possible, and prevent stray hairs from wandering into the wound (depending on length of haircoat and location of wound). I rarely use hydrogen peroxide, as it can be a little harsh and after the first cleaning I would not continue to use it - it can delay wound healing. Then I would apply neosporin or some other form of triple antibiotic cream. But... most importantly, is to prevent the dog from licking the wounds - this includes night time, during the day when the owner's not around, ect - the easiest way is to put a plastic "cone" or e-collar on - again, this may not be needed depending on where they are located, but it is really really important to prevent them from licking (saliva is full of bacteria and it will just cause a secondary infection). If there is heat / warmth / swelling, pain, fluid, pus, or a smell from the wounds, decreased appetite or energy level, changes in behaviour, swelling, etc - means it's time for a vet visit. Hope things go well!

Thank you Kindly for your advice.

Most the scratches are on her face, snout and around her eyes..... her hair is very short so no shaving needed. Oh gosh, no way to prevent licking without a cone. :(

I'll bath her when i get home.

Thanks again Everyone :)
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    How's she doing today?