Dairy-Free Anyone???

Options
I just recently found out, through allergy testing, that I have a very high allergy to dairy. I have been dairy free for 19 days now and about day 10 I stopped having sinus headaches and congestion. Since I'm feeling so much better, I would like more ideas on how to continue this dairy-free lifestyle. The biggest things I miss and haven't found a substitute for yet are cream cheese and sour cream. Also wondering if there is a dairy free chocolate available. Any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to this site also, so feel free to add me as a friend.

Replies

• pundas
    pundas Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I eat a pretty much dairy-free diet. There are lots of alternatives to dairy! I love almond and coconut milk, even the chocolate flavored ones are amazing! There is also ice cream made with coconut milk in all different flavors (i think the brand is So Delicious). I have never had dairy free cream cheese but I have seen different brands at my grocery store. I also use dairy free cheese (made with soy) and butter that is dairy free that tastes just like real butter! If there is a Whole Foods or Trader Joes grocery store near you I would check those out!
  • lisasch67
    lisasch67 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I discovered about 6 months ago that I'm Lactose Intolerant. I feel 1000 times better not eating dairy, but it's been a difficult transition.

Trader Joe's and Whole Foods have lots of dairy free options. Trader Joe's even has a list you can get at customer service or on their website of items that are (insert allergy here) free. I opt for dark chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate when I get cravings, just be sure to read the ingredients... chocolate made with cocoa butter is good to go, but a lot of commercial brands sneak in a little bit of milk fat or milk to make the chocolate creamier. I also discovered that Oreo's are dairy free. Creepy but true. I never buy them myself, but if they're around I've been known to grab one or two :)

For butter, I use Earth Balance buttery spreads. These are awesome and use them as replacement for butters when I bake or cook.

As for sour cream, and cream cheese... I have yet to find anything that taste's really good as a replacement. I've kind of cut them out of my food repertoire, which really sucks, but I've started to get over it... Sorry I can't help with that.

Also, for protein, I haven't found a powder I like, but I buy NuGo Protein Bars or Kind Plus Protein Bars on Amazon. For Kind Plus, I opt for the Almond Walnut Macadamia + Protein because the chocolate peanut butter has traces of milk in it, and with the NuGo bars make sure you are getting their dairy free bars, because they make some bars with dairy in them.

Good luck!!! It's such a tough transition, but it's worth it to feel better.