Staying at current job vs. taking an externship for career

Options
Ok, so Im stuck between a rock and a hard place.

All I freaking do is work, and it's not because I'm a workaholic, I just make enough to get by and live comfortably even though I wear myself out in that process.

I am 23, married, and I currently work 2 jobs and have just finished school currently in a non paid internship working on a paid externship.

One job I work 40 hrs a week and make $11/hr. (get paid weekly)
The second job I work anywhere between 5-20 hrs and make $7/ hr CASH (only get paid on 6th and 22nd of every month)
My husband works 40-45 hours a week and makes $11/hr bi weekly. He never sees his money it gets direct deposited into the account, which I maintain and pay all of the bills with.

I have been going to school for Phlebotomy since August and now have 2 weeks left of my internship.
They offered me an opportunity to join the externship, where they will educate and train me further for 3 months.
Id have to be there a minimum of 40 hrs a week and making only $8.00/hr getting paid every 5th & 21st of the month.
Once completed they give me 6 months temporary employment and if I excel I could be hired on and make roughly $17-20/hr to start & they will pay for me to take my national exam for certification.
If I stay at my current job and try to find a Phlebotomy job on my own I could be looking for a long while as most hospitals/clinics hire only if you have at least a years experience or more.

It is a huge pay cut, not to mention I will be driving double the distance (roughly 70 miles one way).

Plus, the husband and I share 1 car and I drop him off at work and pick him up after everyday, this would be a little difficult to do with the distance and schedules. Not to mention the wear and tear on my car and usage of fuel.

I also cant just be an admin assistant for the rest of my life theres no opportunities to move up.
yet, I dont know how Id make ends meet if I take that paycut.

What do yall think I should do???

EDIT: P.S. I should also mention that I pay $12 per day for parking at my internship location.

Replies

• beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, take the externship. It'll be better in the long run. For the next year, it'll be incredibly difficult to do, but after that it could get easier and you'll be doing what you want to do instead of being someone's assistant.

As for the car, is there a way either you or your husband could carpool with others? That might make it easier for him (or you) to get to and from work.

Either way, great job finishing your degree with all of the other time/money commitments.
  • HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Someone once told me that "sometimes you have to step back, in order to move forward". Makes sense, but you also have to be able to live.

I would recommend trying to find a way to make ends meet and take the short term pay cut, because in the end, if you're good at what you do, you will come out ahead. However, you have to look at all sides, especially since this choice affects your husband as well.

So I say, try to find a way to make it work money wise, and take the opportunity, if you can. You gotta eat (and pay bills), but don't focus too much on the drop in pay...it's only temporary :)
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    All I can do is say "if it were me": I would take the externship. If it meant a secure job in my career field, I could stand on my head for 6 months. Good luck!
  • lillawyernica
    Options
    Look to it as an investment into your future, you're looking at a double salary in 6 months. See if you can find some help from family and friends for the next three months, you could even word it to them that it will be a loan. Would you pay for parking at the new location? Is public transportation an option for him? With the later increase in salary, you and your husband could have two cars.
  • HURLEYX3RO
    HURLEYX3RO Posts: 269
    Options
    In my opinion, take the externship. It'll be better in the long run. For the next year, it'll be incredibly difficult to do, but after that it could get easier and you'll be doing what you want to do instead of being someone's assistant.

As for the car, is there a way either you or your husband could carpool with others? That might make it easier for him (or you) to get to and from work.

Either way, great job finishing your degree with all of the other time/money commitments.

Thanks, Ive been working so hard and I could see the light at the end of the tunnel and then they throw this on me and Im like ughhh another 3 months of being broke??? lol Like, you said it will definitely benifit me in the long run.

We live far out in the country and his co-workers live closer to work, so there arent very many options for that.
    But I believe they did tell me that I can pick and choose my own schedule, just as long as I have 40 hrs.
    Im thinking maybe working 6-7 hr days 7 days a week. Just so I can have enough of a time window to drop him off and pick him up. I just wouldnt have my weekends to spend with him (hes off every weekend).