Bikram (hot yoga)

Options
I have recently added Bikram - hot yoga to my excersise regime. When trying to log my excersise on MFP it doesn't have that option. There is Hathra yoga, but not hot yoga. Am I entering listing it incorrectly? How many calories should I mark for Bikram yoga?

TIA!

Replies

• ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    This is hard to assess. For my Bikram-like classes (same thing, no trademark) I usually put around 4-500 cals for a 90 min session.

I don't really count Bikram as cardio. I know a lot of people do and think they burn up to 1000 calories. IMO/E it is much more beneficial for strength & flexibility. Plus, it's generally better to err on the side of underestimating your burn.
  • becomingstar
    becomingstar Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The bikram class I took I for SUREEE would say as cardio. Depends how hard your teacher pushes you and stuff. Mine I was breathing as if I was running (I actually had to stop halfway cause I was about to pass out everything was spinning) If your class is REALLY intense I would put between 700-900 calories, but in most cases I dont think its as intense as my experience...
  • ATLMel
    Options
    I'll agree that it ups your heart rate and increases demand on your lungs. In this sense, it is most definitely cardio. Especially for those beginners at any form of hot yoga. Over time, you become a much more efficient calorie burner in the class. I should have said I don't count it as my cardio-specific workout. I think the strength and flexibility gains are much more important. (Although always be careful about overstretching...especially in a heated environment.)
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    The bikram class I took I for SUREEE would say as cardio. Depends how hard your teacher pushes you and stuff. Mine I was breathing as if I was running (I actually had to stop halfway cause I was about to pass out everything was spinning) If your class is REALLY intense I would put between 700-900 calories, but in most cases I dont think its as intense as my experience...

any exercising in a hot environment is going to stress your body more. Try running in 100degree/95% humidity weather. But much of the loss is simple water loss. Maybe you burn a few more calories but I haven't seen much to really show it's any different than anything else.
  • babyblues4
    babyblues4 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    So is it a good workout or a fad?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,691 Member
    Options
    People overestimate the burns of yoga. Since it considered more strength than cardio (yes your heart rate goes up, but you're still anaerobic in training) then regardless if you're breathing hard or not, the calorie burn isn't the same as say a steady state aerobic training session.
    That said figure the average 90 minute class of any yoga will be about 400-450 calories. That's what it about averages to even on a heavy weight training session and the intensity being just as high.
    Don't confuse aerobic training with anaerobic training especially when it comes to calories burned during a session.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ATLMel
    Options

I have been doing hot yoga on an almost-weekly basis for about 5 years now. I think it is an excellent part of a workout program. I generally prefer my other kinds of yoga to Bikram. (My daily practice is more of an Ashtanga Vinyasa style.)

I find it energizing and that it decreases muscle soreness after a tough lifting/running workout.

That said, I think most things are good in moderation. Hot yoga isn't going anywhere. If you like it and it makes you feel good, go for it.
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

I have been doing hot yoga on an almost-weekly basis for about 5 years now. I think it is an excellent part of a workout program. I generally prefer my other kinds of yoga to Bikram. (My daily practice is more of an Ashtanga Vinyasa style.)

I find it energizing and that it decreases muscle soreness after a tough lifting/running workout.

That said, I think most things are good in moderation. Hot yoga isn't going anywhere. If you like it and it makes you feel good, go for it.

that's a good reasonable answer. If it works for you, then do it. I always like that answer.
  • angmul
    angmul Posts: 2
    Options
    I love Bikram yoga! I've been doing it for about a month now. I don't count on it for aerobic exercise, though, but instead I think of it as additional exercise on top of my daily walks, etc. I estimate that I burn about 400 calories in a 90 minute session. It is a very physically intense workout, but I agree that it probably isn't aerobic per se.

What I love most is getting better with each session. It has made me more patient, and I love that my muscles are getting stronger. When I first started, I couldn't do the backward bends. Now, after 13 classes, I am halfway to camel pose! Woot woot.

Also, I've noticed that Bikram yoga is awesome for the skin. With the additional water I drink, and the sweating profusely in the class (it's like a sauna), my skin is so supple and smooth. Not bad for a 42 year-old woman, lol.