Options
2»

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Which book do you prefer? and why?

Thanks.

Starting Strength for sure. You don't need a "woman" specific book. A man's hamstring works the same way of female's hamstring works and so on.

The Point of New Rules of Lifting for Women is for them to get rid of the misconception, and to lift like a man, the subtitle of the book is lift like a man, so the full title is
    "New Rules of Lifting for Women
    Lift Like a Man"
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Which book do you prefer? and why?

Thanks.

Starting Strength for sure. You don't need a "woman" specific book. A man's hamstring works the same way of female's hamstring works and so on.

This is the whole premise behind "new rules of lifting for women: lift like a man look like a goddess." the whole point is to debunk that there are anatomical differences between men and women and the whole old school theories on how women should lift.
  • amgilman87
    amgilman87 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BADGIRLstl
    BADGIRLstl Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I'm reading The Femaile Body Breakthrough - The revolutionary strength-training plan for losing fat and getting the Body you want by Rachel Cosgrove. I loooooooooooove it.
  • BADGIRLstl
    BADGIRLstl Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Bought starting strength a few months ago. Tried reading it for about a week, and there's a lot of stuff in the first chapter alone that I really couldn't wrap my head around. I don't know much of anything about the anatomy of the human body, and it wasn't very good at explaining it, in my opinion.

Edit: Also, I'm not stupid. I think if I spent time on wikipedia, I could get a better understanding of what the book is talking about, but it's rather annoying, as a beginner, to have to sit with the book on wikipedia and figure out what the hell he's talking about.
    Reat the Femail Body Breakthrough. Its so simple. Provide before and after pix of women and tells their story, give you a grocery shopping list, suggest how to pair foods, when and when not to eat carbs and the right carbs, and give different phases of a workout regimen and sample menus for each stage to keep your body changing so you can be fit!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I have not gotten my hands on the "For Women" book, but I doubt it's a lot different than the NROL book. Which to me is just not as well put together as Starting Strength. I do not know a ton about Lou Schuler, but I do know that Rippetoe has a pretty tremendous background in strength training, and strength training novices as well.

In Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training 3rd Edition, he gives a very specific breakdown of the exercises being used and why they're being used. Given, I do kind of only skim through the technical parts of it (talking about moment arms or something like that). Not to mention, the program isn't overcomplicated. There's not a ton of phases or burdensome "Fat Loss program" or "Hypertrophy program." You squat, bench, press, and deadlift. You eventually add in a second kind of pull (Power Cleans for the Starting Strength program; or Pull-Ups and Chin-Ups for the Practical Programming routine, but that's from a different book).

Also, not sure about how the illustrations are for the women's book, but the NROL book has some terrible ones in my opinion. It's adds nothing to the text that you couldn't find from a Google search of an exercise. Meanwhile, Starting Strength 3rd Edition has many detailed illustrations and multiple pictures of the full range of motion of the exercises.

One thing that I can understand about some women not liking SS is that the book tends to be geared towards skinny guys looking to get big and strong. However, I'm obese and using it. You just skip over small amount of stuff talking about GOMAD (Gallon of Milk A Day) and the like.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    BUT the program contains a lot of strange complicated moves once you get past phase 1.

I noticed this. I'm ending Phase 1 now and intend to make some modifications to the next phase. I will credit them for getting me to get educated about strength training though! It's awesome for reforming cardio junkies.

That's my biggest problem as well now that I'm past Phase 1. I feel like i'm doing crazy yoga acrobatic weight lifting moves that are over complicated, and with just a picture and a description, it's hard to even know what I'm supposed to do. I've ended up modifying and picking and choosing the moves I can do for my own lifting workout.

I have a knee injury so I can't do some of the more complicated stuff. I moved on to StrongLifts, which basically has 5 different lifts.

I liked NROLFW, and it did get me started with lifting, but I agree with the above posts.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    What kind of complicated lifts are they btw?