Exercising at night

Is is okay to exercise before bed?... (walking on the treadmill, nothing fancy...as I am not "fancy" enough yet )

Replies

• maritza327
    maritza327 Posts: 100 Member
    I do my exercise at night from 8-9 pm and its Zumba. I can't do it in the morning because I get up too early and there are no classes. I actually find that doing my exercise at night helps me sleep better. But everyone is different.
  • shimmer_glo
    shimmer_glo Posts: 103 Member
    I don't think it really matters what time of day you exercise unless you exercise so close to bedtime that you are still pumped from exercising and can't sleep.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Sure it is. But not after midnight. If you exercise after midnight you turn into a Gremlin and then I'll have to microwave you.
  • Hi, I'm sure there is scientific data that talks about pros and cons of morning and evening exercise; but from my personal experience it's like a shot of caffeine.....I'm wide awake when I exercise in the evening.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    calories can't tell time. eat and work out when you can/want.

I work out after work, which means I'm generally at the gym around midnight to 1 a.m. then I'll have a snack when I get home, usually 400 or so calories.
  • mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Give it a try! Different things work for different people. But, if you wake up at 3am because you're stomach is growling, then maybe night's not the right time for you. I prefer late afternoon or evening myself. No chance at all of me getting up early to work out.
  • SpydrMnky27
    SpydrMnky27 Posts: 381 Member
    No biggie. Sometimes I have to workout when my kids go to bed. Just get it in!
  • crazedcujo
    crazedcujo Posts: 114 Member
    You should try it a few times - as anytime is a good time to exercise, but you do tend to get pumped up and it just might be hard to sleep right after. I am NOT a morning workout guy.... but for some they swear by it. I need to workout after 5pm..... and that is great for me.

So give it a try and if all works out - then you have a great workout time that fits you!
  • I usually walk at night around 8-9 pm, but I am not usually in bed right after so I have some time to wind down. I agree that different things work for different people and you should do what works for you. If you can't sleep at night and have been exercising late at night then you might need to try a different time, but if you still sleep ok then I would keep it up. I think it helps me sleep and I feel like exercise is good compared to no exercise whenever you can fit it in :)
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Is is okay to exercise before bed?... (walking on the treadmill, nothing fancy...as I am not "fancy" enough yet )

Put it this way. For most of us, it's either exercise or not exercise. The "when" is secondary.
  • Tristis
    Tristis Posts: 288 Member
    Sure it is. But not after midnight. If you exercise after midnight you turn into a Gremlin and then I'll have to microwave you.

^^^Love this!
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    I usually do my workouts at night, too tired in the morning and I work........I usually do mine after dinner and after my belly rests for a bit.......
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    I do it a couple times a week and it keeps me up for 3 or 4 hrs afterwards. I do it to avoid that 5-7pm rush at the gym.
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Whatever works best into your schedule. For a while I was working out in the evenings and would sleep like a rock afterwards. These days I prefer to exercise first thing in the morning - if I wait till after work there's a greater likelihood of me deciding to blow it off.
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    I excerise at night, b/c it's when i have time. I already have to get up at 5:30 to make it to work just in time. After work is family time. and then I get a hour to hour and a half to myself. This is when I exercise about 8 or 8:30 at night. Plus I do most of my mindless snacking at night so this helps curb that!
  • xonicolette
    xonicolette Posts: 151 Member
    I exercise at night. I never have time during the day or morning. It seems every time I go to work out while my baby's taking his nap, he wakes up 10 mins into the workout! So I choose to workout at night when my son sleeps and my fiance is at work. I find that I sleep better especially after I get out of a hot shower afterwards, my muscles are so relaxed and I just pass out lol.
  • valadees
    valadees Posts: 16 Member
    Thank you so much for the responses! I am going to just give it a try! (But not after midnight!... I don't want to be a gremlin!)
  • TinamarZDF
    TinamarZDF Posts: 58 Member
    I have to work out in the evening when kids are in bed and house is quiet with no distractions. It wears me out and I have not trouble sleeping. Do it when you can and what works for you.
  • becujo
    becujo Posts: 26 Member
    I work out to TurboFire after kids go to bed at 8. After a few weeks, it can become a habit and your body gets used to night workouts. The cool thing about night workouts is that I pretty much know my calories eaten for the day and I have motivation to burn off any excess calories!
  • JenniferInNY
    JenniferInNY Posts: 65 Member
    I sometimes exercise at night. It has been keeping me awake lately, though, so I've been trying to incorporate a few "wind-down" activities into my routine. I'm thinking that if, after I exercise, I take a hot shower, then have a cup of herbal tea and then maybe read a few pages of a boring book, that should be enough to help me wind down.