Any vegetarians/vegans? :)

veganv
veganv Posts: 2 Member
Hello :D

My name is Virginia and I only VERY recently became a vegetarian (today is my 4th day) after watching Earthlings. I am very interested in becoming a vegan and I need support from other vegetarians and vegans who could help me out with meal ideas and such. I am currently very overweight and have tried a thousand different diets, and watching this documentary gave me a whole new outlook on feeding my body. I never really understood what the words "you are what you eat" meant until today. I used to think of food as an addiction and a crutch and a depressing subject alltogether. Now, healthy eating comes with with a whole new purpose and goal.

Replies

• lizziej78
    lizziej78 Posts: 26 Member
    Hi there-

I'm a vegetarian and have been on and off (more on than off) for about 10 years. I'd say it's pretty easy to maintain a vegetarian diet, depending on where in the country you live. I live in the Northeast and since vegetarianism is so common there are lots of options. When we go see my husband's family in the midwest it's not quite so easy to find something without meat :)

When my husband and I got married he became a vegetarian by default (since I cook), and he lost 25-30 pounds that first year. My advice would be to avoid becoming a "junkatarian"- you can still eat a pretty unhealthy diet as a vegetarian if you're not careful- chips, chocolate, crackers pizza and cookies are all vegetarian :)

We try and eat lots of whole grains, lots of fresh vegetables and fruits, nuts, low fat dairy, tofu, and beans. I would recommend ethnic foods, if you like that kind of thing, because there are tons of great recipes- I love indian food, which is super flavorful and easy to make (try Channa, or chickpea, curry), and I also love mexican food, which is also great if you keep an eye on the cheese.

Good luck- you're making a great choice for your body!
  • orthetiger
    orthetiger Posts: 22 Member
    I've been a vegetarian for 9 years. Adding!