Where have fava beans been all my life? YUM!!

Options
I just harvested my first fava beans (green.) I'd never eaten them before, but just planted them because they're good for the garden soil.

I shelled them, blanched them for a few minutes, popped them out of their little skins and they're my new favarite thing!! I love them - great for snacking especially if you want to eat slowly.

I read about how to prepare them here: http://www.affairsofliving.com/imported-20100106014405/2010/4/13/how-to-cook-fresh-fava-beans.html Now I want to look further at this web site. It looks intriguing.

Replies

• sweettthings
    sweettthings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I buy them whenever I see them at the farmer's market. I wish they weren't such a pain in the butt to cook, because they are tasty!
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking they'll be great for those times when everyone else is munching and we're watching a movie. I can sit there, happily shelling favas. Keeping my hands busy prevents me from feeling so deprived.
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what your preference is in food, but I just discovered fava beans as a means to make a traditional/common Egyptian breakfast/lunch food called "Ful Medames". You should try it if you like the taste of those beans in particular.

Ful Medames is very healthy :) Calorie dense and will also sit in your stomach almost like a rock. If you have cravings, they will go away because you will not want to eat anything!!

Here's a traditional recipe: http://shahiya.com/english/recipes/traditional-ful-medames-276
  • rainydaze613
    rainydaze613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Weird- I just ate some! We've always eaten the dry roasted ones as a snack when I was younger, but I haven't gotten to appreciate the goodness of this bean until recently xP
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    I'm not sure what your preference is in food, but I just discovered fava beans as a means to make a traditional/common Egyptian breakfast/lunch food called "Ful Medames". You should try it if you like the taste of those beans in particular.

Ful Medames is very healthy :) Calorie dense and will also sit in your stomach almost like a rock. If you have cravings, they will go away because you will not want to eat anything!!

Here's a traditional recipe: http://shahiya.com/english/recipes/traditional-ful-medames-276

Thanks for sharing this. I just looked at the recipe and would definitely eat this for lunch or dinner.
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    Weird- I just ate some! We've always eaten the dry roasted ones as a snack when I was younger, but I haven't gotten to appreciate the goodness of this bean until recently xP

Did your mom make the dry roasted beans, or did you buy them? I'd really love to find a recipe.
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    Anyone else have favorite fava bean recipes?
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    The Ful Medames recipe for Fava Beans is delicious - thank you!

You make a dressing for the beans using olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, parsley, and salt. It's yummy with fava's, and I can't wait to try it on other foods as well. Maybe raw cauliflower or cucumber...
  • fairestthings
    Options
    The Ful Medames recipe for Fava Beans is delicious - thank you!

You make a dressing for the beans using olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, parsley, and salt. It's yummy with fava's, and I can't wait to try it on other foods as well. Maybe raw cauliflower or cucumber...

:D You're most welcome! We don't add any dressings to it, we don't add dressing to our hummus either.

This homemade authentic hummus is only about 45 calories per serving (2 TBS - which is PLENTY for a good snack with 14 baby carrots): http://desertcandy.blogspot.com/2007/07/hummus-dilettante.html
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    Thanks, BrittMassey. I like only one store bought hummus - the one by Oasis Mediterranean Cuisine. It has less tahini than others, so it's lower in fat and calories. But now I want to try making my own. What a great web site! Very informative and entertaining too. Thanks for sharing.:smile:
  • wahchile
    wahchile Posts: 19
    Options
    I like them with some liver and a nice chianti.
  • fairestthings
    Options
    Thanks, BrittMassey. I like only one store bought hummus - the one by Oasis Mediterranean Cuisine. It has less tahini than others, so it's lower in fat and calories. But now I want to try making my own. What a great web site! Very informative and entertaining too. Thanks for sharing.:smile:

No problem! I loooooooove cooking and am currently obsessed with traditional and authentic Mediterranean food.