Stronglift app?

Options
So I downloaded the stronglift 5x5 app on my iPhone, it shows the starting weights as 45 lbs. Is that just 45 lbs? So the "bar" for squats and bench? Also, is it ok to use dumbbells for the squats? I'd like to do the squats as goblet squats, or just regular dumbbel squats.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    When it says 45 it means just the bar (assuming it's oly bar).

I'm not sure about your squats question. Is there a reason why you want to use dumbbells instead of a barbell?
  • jaxdiablo
    jaxdiablo Posts: 580
    Options
    I work out at a small gym at my office. Anything I can do that doesn't involve the actual bench and the squat rack means I don't have to deal with the small herd of "bros". :-D
  • jrditt
    jrditt Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Forget the bros and take over that part of the gym! They will be impressed in no time. I just put in headphones so they are not encouraged to talk to me.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    You can only get so far with dumbells. Long term (aka outside of 3-4 weeks tops) you're going to need access to a squat rack and olympic bar. Don't be afraid to go into the bro-zone. We all do it, and like Medhi says, they may laugh when they see you squatting the bar only, but 12 weeks later you're doing over 200 lbs, they'll be asking you about your program. Most of the guys are very friendly and helpful anyways.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    The very foundation of this program is the properly performed barbell back squat.
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    The very foundation of this program is the properly performed barbell back squat.

QFT

get in there, "bros" or not.
    you will be happy that you did.
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Everyone begins somewhere. No "bro" at my gym has ever been less that super supportive when I lift, even though my weights are far lower than theirs. Using the Olympic bar means you are serious about lifting, and no one begins already ripped. Give the "bros" a chance.
  • jaxdiablo
    jaxdiablo Posts: 580
    Options
    Alrighty then, I'll get in there and do it. I will have to use the smith machine because that's the closest they have to the actual "squat" rack.

Guess we'll see how I do. Hopefully they are gentle. :-P lol
  • ktbia
    ktbia Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    This is why we bought home gym stuff off craigslist, my husband hates crowds adn we were procrastinating on starting 5x5 because we couldn't get to the gym.

We started all the weight with the45 lb bar, just like it says. My husband is a lot stronger than me and he is moving up faster, but we are both making progress. Starting with the bar is good for getting the form right, which was harder than I expected. We watched a ton of videos, especially Medhi's if he has them.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    No Smith!!!!! Avoid avoid!!! Find a gym with a squat rack or power cage with Olympic barbells. Do NOT settle for less.