Please help me! (It's a calorie issue)

Options
I've been at 1200 calories a day since Dec....now I'm at a plateau (I lost 18 lbs, and very happy with it).

No weight loss since, and every bit of research I do seems to conflict. I'm pretty sure I have to do a calorie uptake but by how much??

I'm 5' 4" 137 lbs, 35 years old, mom, workout 3 times a week, running/weights, and have a part-time retail job.

I know this topic has been brought up before but I'm sure I'm not alone in the confusion. How do I lose 6 more lbs?

Replies

• Sonnie124
    Sonnie124 Posts: 99
    Options
    Try doing your excersize in reverse. So, run 3 days a week (instead of 5), do weights 5 days a week (instead of 3). Try changing foods, I tend to eat the same things over and over again. When you lost the 18 lbs did you redo your MFP profile to change your calories? Probably not telling you anything you haven't heard already. How about a dance class instead of running?
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    hi,
    i ran your figures based on a goal weight of 124 (as per your ticker).
    BMR is 1392 Harris Benedict. Body fat % can affect your BMR quite a bit, so id advise to get this checked and then rerun your numbers.
    As you dont have much to lose, you should be aiming for around 0.5lb / week.(250 cals deficit) Choose the calorie level that matches your exercise level. Depending on your exercise burns, you can choose anywhere between these levels.

The numbers seem high, but remember exercise is already included in the calculations so you dont need to log and eat back exercise cals like you do with the MFP goal.

For example if you are lightly active:
    calorie allowance 1836
    TDEE 1914
    This would give you a very small deficit of only 78 cals.
    to lose 0.5, you need a deficit of 250
    1914-250 = EAT 1664
    If you do up to 272 cals of exercise per day, you will be above BMR. If you burn more than this, you should go up to next activity level.

Moderately active
    calorie allowance 2069
    TDEE 2158
    This would give you a deficit of 89 cals.
    2158 - 250 = EAT 1908
    This gives you 536 cals of exercise per day without going below BMR.

TABLES FROM FAT2FIT

Calories to LOSE (TDEE for GOAL weight)
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1602
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1836
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2069
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2303
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2537

Calories to MAINTAIN / TDEE for CURRENT weight
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1670
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1914
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2158
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2401
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2645
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Change your MFP setting to lose .5 lb per week and follow their plan, including eating your exercise calories. If MFP has you at 1200 you probably have it set ot lose 2 lbs per week, which is unrealistic with only 6 lbs to go.
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Change your MFP setting to lose .5 lb per week and follow their plan, including eating your exercise calories. If MFP has you at 1200 you probably have it set ot lose 2 lbs per week, which is unrealistic with only 6 lbs to go.

I changed it to .5...I'm up to 1500 cals! Whew! Thanks!
  • jodycoady
    Options
    hi,
    i ran your figures based on a goal weight of 124 (as per your ticker).
    BMR is 1392 Harris Benedict. Body fat % can affect your BMR quite a bit, so id advise to get this checked and then rerun your numbers.
    As you dont have much to lose, you should be aiming for around 0.5lb / week.(250 cals deficit) Choose the calorie level that matches your exercise level. Depending on your exercise burns, you can choose anywhere between these levels.

The numbers seem high, but remember exercise is already included in the calculations so you dont need to log and eat back exercise cals like you do with the MFP goal.

For example if you are lightly active:
    calorie allowance 1836
    TDEE 1914
    This would give you a very small deficit of only 78 cals.
    to lose 0.5, you need a deficit of 250
    1914-250 = EAT 1664
    If you do up to 272 cals of exercise per day, you will be above BMR. If you burn more than this, you should go up to next activity level.

Moderately active
    calorie allowance 2069
    TDEE 2158
    This would give you a deficit of 89 cals.
    2158 - 250 = EAT 1908
    This gives you 536 cals of exercise per day without going below BMR.

TABLES FROM FAT2FIT

Calories to LOSE (TDEE for GOAL weight)
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1602
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1836
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2069
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2303
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2537

Calories to MAINTAIN / TDEE for CURRENT weight
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1670
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1914
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2158
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2401
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2645

Thanks! I have it set at 1500 now....I appreciate all your research!:drinker:
  • jodycoady
    Options
    Try doing your excersize in reverse. So, run 3 days a week (instead of 5), do weights 5 days a week (instead of 3). Try changing foods, I tend to eat the same things over and over again. When you lost the 18 lbs did you redo your MFP profile to change your calories? Probably not telling you anything you haven't heard already. How about a dance class instead of running?

Nope, I ignored the little message, hrumprh. Should have know THEY were right and not me! I have done the elliptical and the stepper a lot more than the treadmill, you think that is enough variety? (I can't dance.......I can't even Zumba, I'm a klutz and not coordinated)

Thanks for your response :drinker: