Just joined the gym, need advice

Options
SW: 267.2
CW: 167.2
Height: 5'2

Ive lost 100 pounds already, want to drop at least another 40, maybe 60. I definitely want to start losing fat and building muscle but I'm not sure what type of exercises I should be doing and how often. Can any one give me their favorite machines and exercises? I also want to use free weights and kettle balls and the big yoga balls....help?

Replies

• mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    The free weights will be more effective, since they are compound movements, involving more than one muscle group. There are tons of online resources, but I think the best thing you could do is hire a personal trainer for a session or two to show you the ins and outs of the free weight area. Also, if you're going to do free weights, a workout buddy / spotter is a good idea, if you can get one.
  • almarsala
    almarsala Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I won't be able to get a personal trainer because of the small town I live in and can't afford it.but that would be so ideal!
  • messymutt
    messymutt Posts: 24
    Options
    Keep up with the cardio, though. Many people forget/neglect cardio when they do weights. I work in a gym, so I hear all kinds of stuff.

The better the cardio, the stronger your heart. The stronger your heart, the better you'll be. I enjoy rowing. If your gym has a Concept2 rower, I'd recommend using it. It's great cardio, and the resistance is great for your upper body and back.

Just remember that when you are doing weights if they get too easy, up your reps, but if you don't want to build too much muscle, don't up your weight too much.

And, I know this sounds silly, but do reps of 12. I've learned that 12 is the magic number, but I can't remember why. :/

A lot of gyms offer an orientation session with a personal trainer so they can give you tips and teach you the machines. I recommend you checking to see if you qualify for a session.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. Like I said, I work in a gym. I'm not a trainer or anything, just the receptionist...lol

Adrien
  • spinedocmfp
    spinedocmfp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    muscleandstrength.com has great articles, vids and forum for weight training. There is a complete section for women's training. Jump in and get reading. Just like weight loss, you need effort and education to do it right.
  • almarsala
    almarsala Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! I do get an orientation where they can show me how to use all the machines. I will definitely be using the row machine. I planned on starting AND ending with cardio...any advice for how long to do that for each time?
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss!

I recommend seeing a trainer (or the front desk clerk?) at the gym to show you how to properly use the equipment (prevent injury), create a routine for you and stick to it for 4 - 6 weeks. After that, you will need to change up your routine because your body will require less calories doing the same routine. Change it up by joining fitness classes, use a different cardio machine, etc.
  • mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I won't be able to get a personal trainer because of the small town I live in and can't afford it.but that would be so ideal!

When I worked in a gym, part of my job was setting up machines, the other part was demonstrating proper form and other exercises. Got anyone like that floating around? You can't take up a ton of their time, but you can get some info. I've always found it helpful to see exercises demonstrated, so whatever exercises you find on the internet, I'm sure there's a youtube vid showing proper form and whatnot. And see if you can find a workout buddy! They're awesome!
  • missashley884
    missashley884 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    check out the book new rules of lifting for women