Sick.... Again.

Options
auroranflash
auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
Argh. This year has not been so good for me health-wise. On Christmas, I was sick with a bad cold/possible flu that took me two weeks to recover from. Then two weeks later, possibly a recurrance of the same sickness (mostly sinus congestion/runny nose, etc) reared its head again, because I got sick for another week and a half. Went to the doc for antibiotics this time, but not the first time. I had to go because it went to my eyes and got conjunctivitis in both eyes >_<

Flash forward three months later, and I get sick AGAIN with a sinus infection for a week, thought I was finally over it after a week, but woke up this morning still congested and at least one of my eyes is infected again....! Augh!!

I'd love to hear from some of those "I never get sick" types, or anyone who has any tips on things I can add to my diet or tips to stay well or SOMETHING... I am really getting very frustrated by my crappy immune system. I seem to get sinus infections and colds at the drop of a hat. Last year I probably got sick three or four times. This year, I've gotten sick three times in four months!! WTF!? ARGH >___o

All I can think of is to try to add more vegetables, and wash my hands even more than I already do (which is very regularly). Any tips? Words of comfort? I want to kick baby dolphins right now, I'm so frustrated..

Grr.

The end. >/

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Vitamins, vitamins, vitamins!! Seriously since taking vitamins I hardly get sick and when I do it's for a day or two. Even when I worked in an office environment and had people hacking and sneezing around me all day long I got sick maybe twice a year.

Also for me when I start to feel under the weather I will start taking airborne or emergen-C and make sure I get plenty of rest so that I don't run myself down.

Exercise helps build up your immune system as well.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Vitamins, vitamins, vitamins!!

I take a multivitamin, calcium and fish oil every day. What kind of magical vitamins are you taking? Share them with me. :frown:
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options

I take a multivitamin, calcium and fish oil every day. What kind of magical vitamins are you taking? Share them with me. :frown:
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those "never get sick types," but I don't think I can offer much advice. I've just kinda always been that way.

I do take some Vitamin C about 3 times a day if I feel something coming on, but I've only been doing that for a year or so.
  • Schraudt814
    Options
    Whoops not sure what just happened....but first off hope you feel better! Have you been to the dr to make sure it's not something else- like stress? You said last year you didnt get sick much so I would think it's something that has changed in the last year maybe? Like environment, stress level, etc. :flowerforyou:
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    yea, I never get sick. I used to in college when I swam competitively. OVER EXERCISE, is a huge component to immune system suppression. that and not eating enough.
  • Schraudt814
    Options
    yea, I never get sick. I used to in college when I swam competitively. OVER EXERCISE, is a huge component to immune system suppression. that and not eating enough.

You can make yourself sick exercising too much?
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Address those sinus infections ASAP: rinse your nose out twice a day with warm saltwater until you start feeling better, then back it off to once a day after that. Your local drugstore should carry a kit made for this, I think its called Neil Med...good stuff.

Antibiotics and steroids will only get you in a vicious cycle and deplete your wallet. I am a sinusitis survivor of almost 10 years---tried it all...
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Hydrate.
    I have found staying well hydrated really helps with my being sick.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    i went the whole year without getting sick, but woke up sick this morning. can't complain about that.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

Vitamin C, Vitamin D <--- that one is very important regardless.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options

You can make yourself sick exercising too much?

WHAT! yes you can...over exercising destroys your immune system.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    For me, quitting smoking and exercising more have really improved my immune system. I used to get horrible colds/congestion that took weeks to recover from. I rarely have anything more than occasional allergies now.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I haven't been to the doctor since 2006. :blushing: So I'm pretty lucky I guess. I honestly think that I just naturally have a great immune system. My only advice is eat more veggies. I've been mistaken for a vegetarian before, and it turns out that I always consume 150-300% of my daily vitamin C recommendation. I also sleep like 10 hrs a day, which may help as well. (I HATE that I sleep that much, but rest does help the immune system.) Good luck, and get better!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I think it's largely genetics. I'm a never gets sick person and my diet sucks, I'm never hydrated (whatever that means), I rarely take vitamins, and I'm a terrible sleeper.
  • Mrs16
    Mrs16 Posts: 86
    Options
    Cold FX works too
  • kerricolby
    kerricolby Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I also sleep a lot and am hardly ever sick. I get a solid 7 - 8 hours every night with the occasional 10 hour sleep fest.
  • DarkNebula84
    DarkNebula84 Posts: 445 Member
    Options

AGREE!!! I over did it a couple months back and for the first time in years ended up with the worst cold...Make sure you are not over exercising!

OH! Emergen-C...It works wonderful!
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Sinus rinses. I used to use Niel-Med and like it better than the Netti (sp?) pot because you can squeeze the bottle to make sure the water goes in. Then, my allergist actually sold me a special attachment that goes on a water pik. Gross, but does the job and I haven't had a sinus infection since.

Start with rinsing 1-2x per day until you've been well for at least 1 month. Then, you can back off and just do it when you start to have symptoms... but be pro-active... do it as SOON as you have symptoms.

You also might want to talk to your doctor about a steroid nasal spray. That drastically reduced the number of sinus infections I had, but it may or may not be right for you. Allergy testing might be appropriate as well.

As far as what to eat, the consensus seems to be to avoid dairy because it exacerbates mucous production, but I don't know that I've ever seen a connection myself.

Hope that helps.
    Hope you feel better soon.
    Jen
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Sleep.

When I am not well rested my body literatly starts breaking down. My skin breaks out, I feel like crap, and I catch bugs and/or can't beat them easily.

The average adult is supposed to get like 7 and 1/2 hours of sleep a night, but most people actually get like 5 or 6. I am happy with 9+ but can run on 8 without noticing problems.

People say "oh well I can't sleep that much" but I think alot of it has to do with being so busy throughout the day going 100 miles an hour and the expecting to just lay down on your bed and fall immediately asleep. In reality, your brain needs time to slow down and decompress before going to sleep. It helps to have a routine that you follow every night: brush teeth, shower, cup of tea, read for 10 minutes (something relaxing that doesn't get you riled up), and then hit the sack, and do it EVERY night in the same order if you can. Also, people say that watching tv before bed is bad because all the colors and lights keep your brain wide awake. I have found that it depends on what type of show you are watching, something with alot of stress and brigth colors vs. something harmonious and slow paced where you don't have to think too hard to follow the plot. Also I personally like to stay off the internet and my phone for an hour before I try to sleep because these things tend to take alot of interaction which means your brain can't start winding down.

Also, good luck with your sinus infections, I had one once and it was AWFUL. Keep your home humid with humidfiers or boiling water on the stove and drink lots of water. You have to keep your cillia wet so they can move out all the snot/germs before it solidifies.

Good luck!! :flowerforyou: