Fiddleheads

Options
neanderthin
neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
Picked enough for myself and my neighbour yesterday..........the epitome of seasonal ingredients.

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    To be honest, that's not much of a recipe.
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Mmmm love them!
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Very observant. Maybe people will chime in and talk about fiddleheads in general and post a recipe or two, and to make this a proper recipe post I generally just par boil, then cook in butter a garlic, k.
  • Switty_Kitty
    Switty_Kitty Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    With butter and pepper...mmmmmm!
  • hlandry6
    hlandry6 Posts: 230
    Options
    YUmm!! its too early to get them here =/
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    what's a fiddlehead?
  • neanderthin
    Options
    what's a fiddlehead?

In my part of the woods, there called ostrich ferns. Basically they're a fern in infancy, before they unravel and grow up.
  • ymaisred
    ymaisred Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    what's a fiddlehead?

They are refering to Fiddlehead Ferns, they are the uncurled new growth that are eaten in the upper northeastern "mostly". They can be bought but like ramps and morles are fun to gather in the woods. Hope that helps =)

They are called that because the look like the curl on the head of a violin/fiddle =)
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    what's a fiddlehead?

They are refering to Fiddlehead Ferns, they are the uncurled new growth that are eaten in the upper northeastern "mostly". They can be bought but like ramps and morles are fun to gather in the woods. Hope that helps =)

They are called that because the look like the curl on the head of a violin/fiddle =)

yes thank you!