BMR & TDEE and what do I put as my "Daily Goal?"

Options
mariposa224
mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
OK, while I'm sure that if I search diligently, I will find the answer to my questions... But I've looked at quite a few threads regarding these numbers and haven't found the exact answer that I'm looking for. In going through some of those thread, I found places that showed me how to do the calculations, so this is what I found:

I am 5'5" tall, weigh 153.4 lbs and am 39 years old
For my BMR, I calculated 1374.0992
For my TDEE, I calculated 2061.1488
I subtracted 20% from my TDEE and got the number 1648.9194.

6 days a week, I exercise, doing either 30DS, 10 Minute Trainer or Zumba. I also walk when I can, including on my "rest" day. Per my HRM, I burn about 210-280 on 30DS, usually around 150 for my walks... The Zumba depends on which DVD I do, but that would be at least 300 (up to almost 500) calories, and if I do 10 Minute trainer instead, it's similar to 30DS. I eat most of my exercise calories back, but usually not all. I work at a desk job, M-F, but according to my FitBit, I'm not a complete slug, as I average about 8000 steps per day most days.

So... Do I put 1374 as my daily goal for calories, or do I put 1648? My calorie goal was previously at 1350, per MFP. After doing these calculations last week, I upped my daily goal to 1374. Then over the weekend, I was thinking about it more and wondered if I should have set it higher, as I've heard repeatedly that you should NET your BMR... I'm not sure what to do... Help! Please!

Replies

• sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Your goal would be at 1648. It includes your exercise so it will still be netting your BMR. Unless you work out more than the difference of your TDEE cut and your BMR, then add to it
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I would put 1650 as your goal and not eat your exercise back.
    I just changed mine last week to 1700.
  • CorrieV1976
    CorrieV1976 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    bump cause I'm interested in the answer
  • Marquism123
    Marquism123 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    You are setting your goal based on TDEE - 20%. TDEE already takes into account your exercise, does it not?! If so, then surely you should not be eating back your exercise calories as you are effectively counting them twice. You will have created no deficit with the exception of what you burn in everyday life over your BMR but excluding your workouts, ie not very much! Or have I got this hugely wrong also?!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Assuming you actually understand what BMR and TDEE is (which most people dont), something in between the two. Your numbers sound reasonable for BMR and TDEE, so I'd go with TDEE - some percentage. What that percentage is depends on your goals.

Based on what you've said, I'd use 1648 for a couple of months, see how your body responds, then adjust as necessary.
  • mariposa224
    Options
    Assuming you actually understand what BMR and TDEE is (which most people dont), something in between the two. Your numbers sound reasonable for BMR and TDEE, so I'd go with TDEE - some percentage. What that percentage is depends on your goals.

Based on what you've said, I'd use 1648 for a couple of months, see how your body responds, then adjust as necessary.
    I don't even try to say that I completely understand it... I get the basic "gist" of it... And was a bit confused, thus my question. Thanks! :smile:
  • mariposa224
    Options
    You are setting your goal based on TDEE - 20%. TDEE already takes into account your exercise, does it not?! If so, then surely you should not be eating back your exercise calories as you are effectively counting them twice. You will have created no deficit with the exception of what you burn in everyday life over your BMR but excluding your workouts, ie not very much! Or have I got this hugely wrong also?!
    That is what I thought, as well, which is one of the reasons I asked... Because people generally say to eat back your exercise calories, but yes, those are factored into TDEE... So I was getting confused. lol
  • Anke861
    Anke861 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Surely this isnt right

im 5"10 at 175 lbs 25 yrs. Calculated BMR and TDEE on fitfrogg website

My BMR = 1621
    TDEE = 2513

TDEE - 20% is about 2000

My goal is set at 1450 and i usually eat at least half of my excersize cals back..
    Putting my goal at 2000 just seems toooooooooo much... but might explain why ive been hitting plateau after losing 28lbs on low carb low cal diet for 3-4 months.....

might have to give it a try :(
  • mariposa224
    Options
    Surely this isnt right

im 5"10 at 175 lbs 25 yrs. Calculated BMR and TDEE on fitfrogg website

My BMR = 1621
    TDEE = 2513

TDEE - 20% is about 2000

My goal is set at 1450 and i usually eat at least half of my excersize cals back..
    Putting my goal at 2000 just seems toooooooooo much... but might explain why ive been hitting plateau after losing 28lbs on low carb low cal diet for 3-4 months.....

might have to give it a try :(

I figure it can't hurt to try. I've not lost in 2 weeks. I have 13 more lbs to go... So I thought I'd see if this kick starts it. I think part of my confusion was in that I've heard repeatedly to eat exercise calories... So I wasn't sure how to do that and this... Basically, the way I see it, this kind of integrates your exercise calories in all ready... I've BEEN eating around 1600-1700 most days anyway, with adding in my exercise ones... So I don't think this will actually be much of an adjustment, other than not paying attention to the exercise calories for the most part. lol
  • Marquism123
    Marquism123 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    That is what I thought, as well, which is one of the reasons I asked... Because people generally say to eat back your exercise calories, but yes, those are factored into TDEE... So I was getting confused. lol

I think those that say you must eat back your exercise cals are those people who are working to the calorie goals MFP sets them, ie 1200 cals + exercise cals = net of 1200. If you are basing your goal on TDEE - 20% you should not be eating back exercise cals. I think!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    OK, while I'm sure that if I search diligently, I will find the answer to my questions... But I've looked at quite a few threads regarding these numbers and haven't found the exact answer that I'm looking for. In going through some of those thread, I found places that showed me how to do the calculations, so this is what I found:

I am 5'5" tall, weigh 153.4 lbs and am 39 years old
    For my BMR, I calculated 1374.0992
    For my TDEE, I calculated 2061.1488
    I subtracted 20% from my TDEE and got the number 1648.9194.

6 days a week, I exercise, doing either 30DS, 10 Minute Trainer or Zumba. I also walk when I can, including on my "rest" day. Per my HRM, I burn about 210-280 on 30DS, usually around 150 for my walks... The Zumba depends on which DVD I do, but that would be at least 300 (up to almost 500) calories, and if I do 10 Minute trainer instead, it's similar to 30DS. I eat most of my exercise calories back, but usually not all. I work at a desk job, M-F, but according to my FitBit, I'm not a complete slug, as I average about 8000 steps per day most days.

So... Do I put 1374 as my daily goal for calories, or do I put 1648? My calorie goal was previously at 1350, per MFP. After doing these calculations last week, I upped my daily goal to 1374. Then over the weekend, I was thinking about it more and wondered if I should have set it higher, as I've heard repeatedly that you should NET your BMR... I'm not sure what to do... Help! Please!

It's your choice - you have two options:
    - go with MFP numbers: 1350. In this case you need to eat the extra calories you burn exercising. So, if you burn 300 cals a day, eat 1650.
    - use the numbers you have calculated from your TDEE - 20%. This number has already accounted for your exercise so you don't eat any extra calories when you exercise. So, eat 1648 a day.

As you can see, the numbers are very close, so just pick one and stick with it. If you don't get good results in a month, then you can change things up again.
  • Jenjaz1910
    Jenjaz1910 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Your's BMR & TDEE are similar to mine. Set your daily goal as your TDEE minus the 20%. Aim to eat that every day, and if you burn off more than 274 cals then eat some back to get your NET at or above your BMR! Give it a month and see how you go x