>/< PROTEIN?!?

Options
How much is a good amount of protein per day?? I keep hearing "that's too much" or "that's too little." I currently do try to eat foods higher in protein, but I don't freak out if I don't. My ultimate goal is to get to a healthier weight and body fat overall. I exercise at least 3 times per week and I'm trying to boost that to 5 times per week. Any help is appreciated:)

SW: 225
CW: 207
GW: 185 (may adjust once I reach this!)
Height: 5'6
Body fat: 30.3 :(

Replies

• chnkytim42
    chnkytim42 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    i heard like a gram of protien per pound is okay, somethin like that, i shoot for 150 grams of protien, but over shoot it often, just do what feels right
  • chnkytim42
    chnkytim42 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    oh and if you open up your food diary it will help us to see where you are at :)
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Not ready to make my diary public:/ ....I'd say on average, I probably get 60-80 g of protein per day....
  • dwightdegroff
    dwightdegroff Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I often hear "eat 1g of protein for each pound of *lean mass* in your body".

So, if you have 30% body fat, you could aim for eating 145g of protein every day to retain the lean muscle you have now while still trying to lose weight.

:) Good luck!
  • lowpro1983
    Options
    That sounds pretty accurate based on what I've heard too. Not really sure how I'm going to be able to attain that unless I drink shakes maybe.... thanks for the help!!

Today for example, I ate 2 eggs and grits for breakfast, a healthy choice (20 g of protein) for lunch, and for snacks - string cheese & greek yogurt. I am choosing foods with higher protein - just still not quite enough.
  • dwightdegroff
    dwightdegroff Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    canned tuna, beef jerky, cottage cheese, cashews.

some are less calorie-dense than others, but they are some of my go-to protein sources.

shakes aren't a bad idea either. My first tub of whey protein arrived today, so I'll be adding that to the mix. :)
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    its a struggle at first - just try to have some protein with every meal, even snacks.
  • lowpro1983
    Options
    Yeah - not to sound like a picky eater, but I don't eat tuna/fish or beef jerky!! I'm thinking that I'm going to try some shakes to supplement. Today was my first day of doing a morning workout and a lunch workout - I need more calories/protein in the mornings for sure. When I got back from my 2nd workout, I had already burned off ALL of my breakfast and part of my lunch that I hadn't even eaten. I think the shakes would help me fuel my workouts and reach my calorie/protein goals....
  • lindaschultz45
    lindaschultz45 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm drinking the protein shakes by Premier. They have 30 g of protein per shake, 160 calories, 3g fat and only 5 g carbs. These are the best I've found on the market so far that are pre-made. I keep some at home and at work in the refrigerate. Much better ice cold. Hope that helps. I've always heard about 60g of protein per day.
  • littlewitch1973
    Options
    Protein shakes and protein bars are good add ins for snacks too - I eat yogurt and a protein bar some mornings for breakfast - I also have them as snacks during the day most days.
  • lowpro1983
    Options
    Nice! Thanks everyone:) I've also heard a lot of great things about the Body by Vi? Has anyone else tried these? I thought about trying them. I've actually had some a longggg time ago that I liked but I can't recall the name.