Anyone been/being tested for Cushings?

Options
Hi guys

I just wondered if anyone else here has been screened for Cushings disease/syndrome? According to my doc, I'm showing lots of symptoms and associated issues, and I just wondered if anyone else has been through the process and if so, what the outcomes were for you?

Thank you :smile:

Sparkles xxx

Replies

• Falling2Grace
    Falling2Grace Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Im getting tested for Cushings as well. Ive always been overweight, my entire life. No matter how well i ate and no matter how hard (or often) i exercised, i couldn't lose the weight. I have never been a normal weight. I have a buffalo hump and it is so painful. It makes me very irritable when its aching badly. Ive been getting chiropractic done for 7 years and its helped a lot of stuff, but not that. I have a lot of weight in my tummy (ALWAYS have) but my legs and arms are thin. And ive got the moon shaped face going on. All of which are markers for Cushings. I also have a thyroid condition. My doctor told me that i have Metabolic Syndrome and thats why i have such issues losing weight and being overweight to begin with. I am showing signs of Cushings as well as PCOS (apparently signs for Cushings is similar to PCOS). Ive also read that hypothyroidism is seen a lot with Cushings. My endorcrinologist is going to be testing for the Cushings. My primary doctor is going to look for the PCOS. She is running bloodwork on sex hormones (i think short form for that was DHEA but i could be wrong), cortisol, and insulin. Im not sure what all my Endo will do for the Cushings testing. I have heard getting cortisol checked is important. And i read to make sure you get it checked in the morning (when Cortisol rises in everyone) and at night (when Cortisol is supposed to drop- a lot of ppl with Cushings dont see this drop and thats why they are overweight/not able to lose the weight). I know another test they can run is a 24 hour urine test, which apparently is better than just doing bloodwork.
    Other symptoms i have is joint pain, dry skin, and my hair always falls out easily.

Dealing with weight is such a hard thing when it comes to this. No matter how well i eat and how hard i exercise the weight just doesn't budge...and sometimes i even gain weight! In a way, i sort of hope this is my problem so that it can be fixed and i wont have to be a big tub of fat for the rest of my life...its quite discouraging...some of the things i do to lose the weight (more importantly, be healthy!) would have any normal person losing 20+lb, but not for me. my scale hasn't budged in 6 weeks even though i eat a vegetarian diet in the weekday and a healthy ominvore diet on the weekends. I also exercise for one hour 5x per week and set my calories properly...its not working. i havn't lost very many inches since, and i also havent dropped any pant sizes.

how are you doing? any updates? what test/conclusions have you and your doctor come to? would be nice to have a pal that is in a similar situation...