Vegetarian Chicken/Beef broth substitute?

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
Just curious, most of the recipies I find for seitan require the usage of chicken or beef broth for flavoring. However, since this is supposed to be a vegetarian meat substitute, how exactly does one find vegetarian beef or chicken broth? Does such a thing even exist?

Replies

• ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Swanson's does make a vegitable broth. I'm not sure about a vegitarian beef/chicken broth... sounds contradictory to me!!! Just a thought!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    This site might help you out...

http://www.vrg.org/recipes/vjseitan.htm
    :bigsmile:
  • christahollis
    Options
    I'm all about www.vegweb.com
    It has about a bazillion recipes, with all the suggestions and modifications of users posted (and pictures!)
    I've not come across any products that have genuine chicken or beef flavor that don't have animal products in them. Some veggie broths are really good. When I made seitan just the other day, I did it with onions and peppers--and it was great without the whole dead animal/dead animal parts thing going on.
  • Celestia
    Celestia Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Try "Better than Bullion" its got great veggie options for chicken, beef, and veggie flavors! With no MSG :smile:

You can find it in the health food section or health food stores in your area.