5 month plateau?

Options
It's been a long time since I've seen any significant change on the scale, and I'm stuck. I don't go over on calories, but, I'll admit, I probably don't eat the best food. Lately, though, I've been playing tennis 3-4 days a week. The only change I saw from that was smaller thighs, but that's it. Any tips you have for breaking a plateau would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Replies

• Osu2k1
    Osu2k1 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I am currently on a 2 month plateau, so I totally get where you are. Have you taken measurements? I know when I don't seem to loose, I am loosing inches, which I've continued to do. Last week was my b-day and I went off plan completely. I still *tried* to make good choices, but I ate what I wanted. :smile: I weighed in this morning and I was down 1.6. So I don't know if giving myself the mental break helped or not, but I finally hit 57 and I am hoping I can round the corner and hit 60 soon.

I hope some others chime in with suggestions!
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    My advice. Ignore the scales. They can be demotivating because they don't tell the whole story. Instead measure weekly and keep a log. Waist, Thighs, hips etc... I found by doing this that even when the scale was not moving I was losing and 1/2 inch to an inch a week. So now I only weigh every 4 weeks. But! Even then I don't let the number get me down as long as I continue to lose inches.
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary it appears you're not eating enough. Eat back those exercise calories - that may make all the difference!
  • sweetxsour35
    Options
    What else should I eat? I don't want to eat unhealthy foods because I have calories left. Also I'll try not to weigh myself and measure more.
  • HeartlessHarlot
    HeartlessHarlot Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm big on a slice of whole wheat bread wtih natural nut butter spread on it. I prefer almond or cashew butter, nothing added to it, just ground up nuts. My grocery store has a grider with a hopper of almonds attached.

A few tablespoons will take up about 400 calories.

Typically, when I get done working out and need to eat, but aren't really hungry, I'll spread two tablespoons on a slice of toast and eat back my workout calories without feeling like I over ate.

Also, this lady had some useful info on plateaus:

http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html