Moms of autustic kids have you tried the gluten free diet?

Options
So my brother has Asperger and ADHD and we will be trying the gluten free and casein free diet which is supposed to help out a bit on kids with autism/asperger and ADHD and since I saw a topic with many of you saying you have a son/daughter with autism I thought perhaps some of you have tried out this "diet" and might like to share about your expierience with it.

We heard about this diet because of a couple friend that try it with their autistic son (he never made eye contact and did not talk) 6 months later, voilá, he is now speaking, talking to everybody, he really has improve, so we thought we should check it out, it will not hurt to try.

I'm very excited and I hope this diet will help him be more on earth than on the moon haha.

PS: I know this diet it's not a miracle cure or anything, but kids supposed to improve a bit and be more functional.

Replies

• littlewitch1973
    Options
    I am interested to see the responses to this. I have an autistic son (high functioning) and a friend of mine has one as well - she moved him over to an all natural diet, gluten free and he has made HUGE progress... I have been considering this for my son as well - I will likely start over the summer, when I have more control over his meals - right now, he has lunch at school, and they do not offer gluten-free.
  • camila_scl
    camila_scl Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I am interested to see the responses to this. I have an autistic son (high functioning) and a friend of mine has one as well - she moved him over to an all natural diet, gluten free and he has made HUGE progress... I have been considering this for my son as well - I will likely start over the summer, when I have more control over his meals - right now, he has lunch at school, and they do not offer gluten-free.

I have heard and seen very good responses and also I have read that helps with the weight loss in some obese people that turns out could't really process gluten all that great even though they did not have celiac disease.

We send my brother lunch to school in a thermus, perhaps you can do that too if you try the diet =)
  • mmklinemm
    mmklinemm Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is worried her son may be autistic. I don't know if she's had him tested or had this confirmed by a doctor. After a lot of research into the warning signs she was seeing, she decided to convert to a Paleo diet. It's been about 5 months since she completely converted over to it, and she said it's helped in so many ways. I don't know the specifics, though - sorry. She swears by The Paleo Solution book by Robb Wolf. She said changing their eating habits in this way helped with her migraines and has lowered her husbands BP to the point his doctor isn't recommending lipitor any longer.

Hope this helps...
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Hi I tried this diet for my son who has autism he is in the middle of the autistic spectrum. We followed it for about10 months and didnt really see a great deal of improvement. However to be totally honest he spends weekends with his grandparents and they were not following it 100%. He would go to their house get his hands on some casein/gluten containing food and would come back a wild child. they were not doing it intentionally it is just very difficult to exclude all foods completely. It involved cooking absolutely everyhting from scratch, we could never eat out and i had to watch him carefully to ensure nobody gave him any banned food. For us when he got these foods he was worse than ever so i suppose it must of worked to a certain extent. I have another child with aspergers and ADHD and we havnt tried the diet with him. I believe it probably would help with him as he was lactose intolerant for the first 4 years of hi life and if he drinks milk he is wild. You also need to avoid MSG and aspartame we still do avoid these as i have serious concerns over their safety.
    I myself have been diagnosed as gluten, dairy and egg intolerant not currently following the diet but saw massive health improvements when i did. I will probably cut them out again but it is so difficult to live a normal life when you are intolerant to those three things but my IBS has been so bad just lately i need to I think. If you have any more questions feel free to ask or add me as a friend.
    If you dont eat out it is achievable as their are very good ranges of free from foods out there which are tasty it just takes a lot of forward planning.
  • lose
    lose Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm not a mom of an autistic boy, but I live with a 3yr old autistic boy (roommate's son). Prior to going gluten/casein free, G was in a 'bubble'. He wouldn't make eye contact, had temper tantrums all day, moved his hands infront of his face and babbled at them. I showed my roommate a video that I'd seen on youtube about a woman who'd had great results with her child and she switched G immediately. I'm not kidding you - within 2 DAYS he was making eye contact. Its been about 6 months and he continues to change daily. He's still not speaking sentences, but he is saying words here and there. He seeks out affection and has learned to ask for things in his own way (usually by coming up and taking your hand and putting your hand on his cup, on the fridge, etc). He is no longer a grumpy child throwing tantrums all day - he is HAPPY. He walks around constantly with a big smile on his face, laughs and though he doesn't speak, his 4 year old brother is ELATED that he comes over to give him hugs now. Every day he seems to do something that he's never done before - trying to put on his shoes, getting things ready for a bath (putting the mat on the floor and getting into the tub), etc.

It takes commitment, but I truly believe that it works/helps.
  • camila_scl
    camila_scl Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the feedback and stories =)