Cardio calorie burn count

Options
Does anyone else feel like their exercise does not match the calories burned? One of my exercise statuses posted to twitter and someone made a comment that the number calories burned seemed low for the the type of exercise done and the amount of time it was done in. 40-45 minutes walking at 3.0 mph= 196 calories burned, is that accurate for someone 5'3-5'4 and 178lbs?

Replies

• Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Did you use a HRM or just the treadmill monitor? I found that when using a HRM and not the treadmill I tend to double the calories burned.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    That calorie count sounds about right.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else feel like their exercise does not match the calories burned? One of my exercise statuses posted to twitter and someone made a comment that the number calories burned seemed low for the the type of exercise done and the amount of time it was done in. 40-45 minutes walking at 3.0 mph= 196 calories burned, is that accurate for someone 5'3-5'4 and 178lbs?

Yeah, that's about it. Walking 3.0 mph is a fairly low intensity exercise, so it doesn't give you a huge calorie burn.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Did you use a HRM or just the treadmill monitor? I found that when using a HRM and not the treadmill I tend to double the calories burned.

In this case, it means your HRM is probably not set up properly--or else the TM does not allow you to enter your weight.
  • chicfreak9
    chicfreak9 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I very rarely use machines, I take Spin class or high aerobic exercise like bootcamp or zumba. I do not have a HRM but I am looking to purchase one. I'll take suggestions on the best product at the reasonable price.
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options

In this case, it means your HRM is probably not set up properly--or else the TM does not allow you to enter your weight.

Ya no weight on the TM I do know that my HRM is right though :) I love my HRM!
  • chicfreak9
    chicfreak9 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your answers and suggestions. In the end I bought the HRM (sportline with chest strap) If I can remember to use while doing my lunch hour walks I'll be better able to calculate my calories out.