Is Cardio-Only a Setup for Failure?

ive noticed.... im a yo-yo exerciser. heh. when i start (again) its usually only cardio and i have motivation that feels like itll last forever. of course it dies after a while. i used to do something like 45- 60 minutes of cardio on the elliptical or about 30 mins on the trails around my house. ive also noticed that a few of my friends do this. they spend up to 90 minutes doing JUST cardio for about a week, and then i stop seeing their exercise updates. i do the same damn thing!!! why? would strength training keep up the motivation a little more?

it interested me that im not the only one who does this, so im curious to hear your thoughts. why does excessive cardio seem to lead to a complete crash in motovation for the 585268447th time?

Replies

• graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Same here, but with me, I tend to overdo things for a period of time and then just give up as I burn myself out, both in terms of diet strictness and exercise. I had a year of doing 2 hour brisk walks daily as well as hour on the stationary bike and other exercises and I just quit it all. I seem to do a year on, a year off. Currently trying to find a balance, but I get into these mindsets where I have to do an hour - 2 hours everyday to keep my weight down and still be able to eat well. It is a real pain to be honest.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    Because most cardio is the same repetitive motion? And doing that for 90 minutes (which IMO is too long for a session) can seem endless.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • gazerofthestars
    gazerofthestars Posts: 255 Member
    Set a goal. Either a time goal or a distance goal and work and train like you WANT it. And don't stop till you achieve it. Believe you can do it one day.

For instance; When I started running back in October last year, I couldn't do a 5 km run. I built myself up to it. By december I was running 5k's but my pace a sluggish- a PR of 40 minutes. My new goal was to get it down below 25.

It's a fun way to burn away that fat - because as you get lighter your body doesn't have to carry that excess baggage and your times go up! :)

You can set goals with any form of cardio. Same with strength training.

All the best!
  • temp666777
    temp666777 Posts: 169
    Exercise has no bearing - at all - on losing body fat.

If you exercise, let's say "300 calories worth," you'll just eat that much more.

It makes no difference to your Calorie Deficit for the day.

If you say "Oh, I'm going to exercise 300 calories, but, still only eat 1600" ... that's silly. Why?

Simply, just DON'T exercise, and only eat 1300.

It's easier to do the latter. Exercise just increases your appetite, beyond the calories-burned.

The ONLY THING THAT MATTERS if you want to eliminate body fat is:

(1) slash your carbohydrate intake to 72 grams per day, and keep it there precisely

(2) your caloric deficit each day.

Exercise is totally pointless, because it will just make you eat more. If you say "oh, but I'll only eat the same anyway" -- then very simply, DON'T exercise and just eat less.

It's incredibly easy to lose body fat, IF, repeat IF, you keep to 72 grams of carbs per day. Exercise makes no difference either way.

the only thing that matters is your Calorie Deficit on a given day !

Instead of doing 200 cals of exercise, just don't eat a couple spoons of yoghourt .. 200 calories.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member

If you exercise, let's say "300 calories worth," you'll just eat that much more.

If you say "Oh, I'm going to exercise 300 calories, but, still only eat 1600" ... that's silly. Why?

It's easier to do the latter. Exercise just increases your appetite, beyond the calories-burned.

(1) slash your carbohydrate intake to 72 grams per day, and keep it there precisely

Exercise is totally pointless, because it will just make you eat more. If you say "oh, but I'll only eat the same anyway" -- then very simply, DON'T exercise and just eat less.

It's incredibly easy to lose body fat, IF, repeat IF, you keep to 72 grams of carbs per day. Exercise makes no difference either way.

Instead of doing 200 cals of exercise, just don't eat a couple spoons of yoghourt .. 200 calories.
    Wha??????

And if you eat 73 g..... you are doomed!!!! Such nonsense
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member

Wha??????

And if you eat 73 g..... you are doomed!!!! Such nonsense

71g and you'll look like a Greek God, 73g and all bets are off...
  • _Cheyanne_
    _Cheyanne_ Posts: 97 Member
    Set a goal. Either a time goal or a distance goal and work and train like you WANT it. And don't stop till you achieve it. Believe you can do it one day.

For instance; When I started running back in October last year, I couldn't do a 5 km run. I built myself up to it. By december I was running 5k's but my pace a sluggish- a PR of 40 minutes. My new goal was to get it down below 25.

It's a fun way to burn away that fat - because as you get lighter your body doesn't have to carry that excess baggage and your times go up! :)

You can set goals with any form of cardio. Same with strength training.

All the best!

thats a really good idea! it seems so simple but i never think of things like that.. haha. thank you! and congrats on your accomplishment
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    BUMP! This thread is going to get interesting!!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member

You wouldn't happen to have written a book I could buy would you?
  • saintspoon
    saintspoon Posts: 242 Member

OK OK I see what you're saying....

if you're allowed 1300 cals & you burn 300 so you can eat 1600........ you're saying just don't work out & don't eat & it's the same thing. yes I guess that is correct as far as calories go.

But what about your heart health & general muscle health? What about the afterburn after working out & you're overall increased motabalism? Its just not as simple as you make it out to be :embarassed:
  • _Cheyanne_
    _Cheyanne_ Posts: 97 Member

oh jesus. well i exercise because i want my body to be stronger and healthier. exercise doesnt really make me hungrier.. if anything it curbs my appetite. youre giving me numbers to work with.. why? i havent provided my age, weight, or height? i understand that this may have worked for you and i appreciate your response, but please dont be throwing around information without a reliable source to back it up. theres way too much of that on here
  • spazofthedead
    spazofthedead Posts: 175 Member

Sure, if you want your muscles to waste away in the process... because, y'know, heart, joint and muscle health really aren't all that important.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Here there be broscience:

While i'm not a personal fan of using exercise to buy extra calories, there is no reason to not exercise. Strictly speaking about weight loss, lifting will help as long as you have some self control and don't go overboard with eating back your calories. Building muscle improves your metabolism and helps you not look like a sack of mashed potatoes after you lose weight.

Non-weight-loss benefits of exercise:
    Cardio: improved heart health, improved lung capacity, better endurance
    Weightlifting: increased bone density, improved motor control

It just boggles my mind whenever someone ignores the importance of making exercise a habit and not something you do to just lose weight.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    If exercise doesn't matter then why doesn't everyone who loses weight look like a bodybuilder?
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    People CAN lose weight without exercise. I have no problem with that idea.

However, why wouldn't you exercise? It makes me feel great. I sleep better. It helps with stress, anxiety, boredom, depression. It makes it so a fatty like me can keep up with the skinnies of the world.

It makes me healthier, happier, and I even look better, age slower, and have better hair, skin, nails, and eyes. I don't know...maybe I'm nuts, but I wouldn't give up exercise just for the privilege of eating 300 calories less every day.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,543 Member
    I need to use this for my comedy routine. Thanks!

• rcharlee
    rcharlee Posts: 182 Member
    I had a similar problem last summer after having my baby. I would do 20 minutes of cardio a few days a week, then get bored and quit all together. Since January I've consistently done 30-60 minutes of cardio everyday. My problem was doing the same type of cardio; once I tried different things, I have been able to keep it up. I've played tennis for over a decade, and doing that at least once a week has also helped. Tennis is a major all over workout! I recommend it to any and everyone. Finding a fun cardio that you actually enjoy is a great way to keep at it.
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    I had to create a schedule for myself because I was falling victim to this also- 3 strength training days a week. Sometimes when you don't feel like hopping around and doing crazy cardio its nice to do some strength training and just focus on certain areas at a time. And, you don't have to spend 90 mins doing it, at least it shouldn't take that long! Since I started strength training, I've been able to stay more consistent with exercise because I don't feel the burden of having to do a TON of cardio every day.

And lifting/strength training builds muscle which does help cardio get easier too. I think if you're not building muscle and just burning calories, you subject yourself to having to work harder to keep it off. My opinion.

Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    Really? So if you create a higher calorie deficit from exercise it has NO BEARING?:laugh:

Where is the clinical peer reviewed study that shows that exercise is pointless and doesn't help with metabolism?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Will_Lift_4_Shoes
    Will_Lift_4_Shoes Posts: 238 Member
    bump for later