Artificial Sweeteners

Options
Does anyone know with any real certainty if there is a particular sweetener that is more "healthy"? I use Sweet n' Low most of the time, but I'm interested in Truvia since it's derived from plants. I've also considered switching to real sugar only but I think I might wait until I'm done losing weight for that.

Replies

• tat2dmrsgrimm
    tat2dmrsgrimm Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I use splenda most of the time. I tried truvia and found it very bitter. that's just me.
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I can't use the aspartame because it causes mutliple sclerosis type symptoms which I found does happen to some people. i myself am a splenda fan, but it depends on taste for some ppl.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm a bit wary of artificial sweeteners/chemicals consumed regularly. I would rather have the sugar or better still wean yourself off of sweetened food. I've cut having sugar on my morning porridge and sweeten it with some tinned peaches or a banana instead.
  • bgmomof3boys
    Options
    bump
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I really like the Truvia packets. They're a good choice :)
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Stevia is natural and plant based and is not artificial like aspertame and saccharin (Sweet and Low, Equal).

I have started using honey and fruit to sweeten my tea, oatmeal and cream of wheat. Every now and then I'll reach for a packet of Stevia.
  • kyriggs77
    kyriggs77 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The best natural sweetners are Stevia and Truvia.
  • justjustine1
    Options
    I agree. I stay away from the artificial ones (give me headaches) and only use Stevia or Truvia.
  • Rocio418
    Rocio418 Posts: 1
    Options
    I use Stevia and Truvia packets. I buy the Stevia at Trader Joes- it's the best tasting one, and you can find Truvia at almost all grocerie stores.

Splenda uses an artificial swetener called sucralose- studies have shown this to be toxic to brain cells. Aspertame is processed with ammonia- this checmical is just too harsh for your body.

I hope you like Stevia and Truvia. I also found Stevia at Walmart in the Vitamin section, but I haven't tried it yet. I have tried Stevia from the Grocery store, and I just do not like the taste. Trader Joes and Whole Foods have the best Stevia, and Truvia tastes great :)
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I used Splenda for years but recently read that one of the possible side effects was a negative impact on sleep/sleep quality so have changed to a stevia based product. Unfortunately, stevia is often blended with sugar alcohols (erithrytol) so I did experience some excess/smelly gas - am now hoping my body has adjusted.
  • julierewa
    julierewa Posts: 17
    Options
    I have discovered the most wonderful thing just recently. Called "jaggery" - it is pure unrefined (no chemicals) sugar and it is actually good for you. Check out http://www.sugarindia.com/jag.htm . You should be able to buy it wherever you can buy good indian groceries, spices etc.