Wine. My love, my kryptonite.

Options
Not that I'm superman, of course, but pinot noir is really my downfall. I'll stay within my calorie goals for the day and exercise as usual, but 7pm rolls around and I crack the bottle. I end up drinking way more than I should because I tell myself it's ok because I've lost like 8lbs and I'm watching my food intake. Lo and Behold - 3 weeks later I've gained 5lbs back.

UGH.

I need more accountability, so I've come to bare my soul to all of you :)

Replies

• violin121298
    violin121298 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you! All hard work just goes by the wind when I open the bottle of chardonnay. Trying to figure out how to be more accountable to myself.
  • lg3703
    lg3703 Posts: 190
    Options
    A nice rich full bodied zinfandel for me... I've learned to make that my treat. I have ZERO until Friday OR Saturday night. I Plan ahead with fewer cals and more exercise so I can enjoy all 3 glassed IF I CHOOSE. That's what it comes down to, a choice. Choose the immediate gratification and hate yourself tomorrow or choose the REAL gratification of being AWESOME! Lol good luck!
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    If you KNOW you love wine and want some every night, why don't you save yourself enough calories at the end of the day for a glass?

The key to this whole thing is building a lifestyle. And NO lifestyle is going to stick if you are cutting out things you truely enjoy, so make room for them!
  • Carrot1971
    Carrot1971 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    My weakness is Bud Lite *sigh*. I'm right there with ya. I do the same thing. "I've been good today and I still have 200 calories left. That equals two beers". 4 beers later and I'm done. CRAP! This is why I can't get over my "plateau".
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    my two favorites . . chardonnay and pinot noir . . . kryptonite for sure.

just find a way to work it into your daily intake. if I know i'm going to be wining and dining I watch my intake in advance. or limit yourself by not allowing it on a day when you haven't burned at least XXX calories through exercise . . . that's what I do.
  • dianeellen2
    dianeellen2 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I used to teach wine tasting classes at college!

Love my wine but i have realised i dont lose weight if i drink every night - so i limit myself to half a bottle Saturday and the other half Sunday

I make sure i have the calories and log the wine (sometime i go for a run just so i can drink!!)

Add me if you want advice (about life / food / exercise / wine)

Diane :drinker:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Check out my diary - I have a separate booze section for just such accountability! I couldn't get by without the odd glass of red, so sometimes I'll log the three glasses I plan to have at dinner at breakfast time, so I don't go over with the rest of my intake, or exercise just that bit more :smile:
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    ahh Wine -its my weakness too esp after a long day - I try to add it into my calories - I would rather drink water all day instead of mt dew (also a weakness mostly for the caffine) and be able to enjoy my wine in the evening when i get home. esp since we went to one of the areas in our state that has a few wineries in march :) we brought home 4 and half cases (minus two bottles i gave to my mom for watching the kids )
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    One of the casualties of my fitness program has been my wine consumption. I've gone from a bottle every week or two to about 3 or 4 per year. Good for the budget, but not nearly as much fun. It hasn't all been a conscious decision to cut down so much as just finding it more difficult to fit in with the overall lifestyle. I hate opening up a bottle of good wine, pouring two glasses and then having it go bad over the next week because we are just too busy to pull the bottle out again.

I know you'll all be willing to come help me out........
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my wine and refuse to give it up in order to lose weight (I gave it up for Lent but that was a whole different story and will never be repeated).

All you have to do is learn to factor it into your allowance, either by eating lower calorie food (please note I didn't say eating less) or by exercising more.

I also usually have a spike day at weekend when I can eat anything I want, with time I've found that I've made better choices than I used to, but it takes time!

My dairy is open if you want to have a nosy through it :flowerforyou: :drinker:

4558573.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • BerryH
    Options
    I'm planning a transatlantic wine pipeline as we speak!
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    So, so glad to hear that I'm not alone in this! Cabernet Sauvignon or Shiraz are my go to wines. I'm trying to budget calories for wine on some days, and be honest about my consumption. Logging everything certainly helps with that!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I'm planning a transatlantic wine pipeline as we speak!

I've got some pretty good stuff--it might be worth it :laugh:
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I LOVE wine--and 5pm would roll around and I would have a glass-then cause the bottle was open more with dinner--then as a wind down--you get the picture. I have done two things to really limit myself. 1)I don't have it in the house until I plan for wine with a very good dinner, then I go out and buy a nice expensive bottle so I won't think of it as guzzle wine. Of course I live in Pa where we have State stores with limited hours and even more limited locations so getting wine takes effort. 2) I have been known to buy the little single serve bottles (I call the cuties). You are alot more aware of pour size and when you have to get up and open a new bottle it makes you stop and think.
    Traveling this winter I got my first box wines--now that was the kiss of death!!!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I could have written this post! I got to my goal weight drinking wine along the way (specifically Pinot Noir!). Could I have achieved my goal sooner without the wine? Probably. For me to do this as a "changing eating habits forever" thing and not a "diet" I had to keep my wine in the mix. I normally log what I drink but from time to time I do go over and don't sweat it.
  • Boonster001
    Boonster001 Posts: 62
    Options
    Wine can be a calorie killer for sure ~ but like all of you, I'm not willing to deprive myself because I am trying to be healthy. I plan for the weekend, knowing that I may (or may not) want a glass of wine, I make sure that I have exercised or really watched my intake so that I have room for the calories. This is a lifestyle change, and my lifestyle includes a glass of wine if I want it.

Would love to have some friends who enjoy a glass of wine!!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Not that I'm superman, of course, but pinot noir is really my downfall. I'll stay within my calorie goals for the day and exercise as usual, but 7pm rolls around and I crack the bottle. I end up drinking way more than I should because I tell myself it's ok because I've lost like 8lbs and I'm watching my food intake. Lo and Behold - 3 weeks later I've gained 5lbs back.

UGH.

I need more accountability, so I've come to bare my soul to all of you :)

I measured my favorite wineglass to give me a predictable 5 ounce pour, and I usually buy boxed wine so there's no temptation to "finish the bottle because it'll be vinegar tomorrow". I log the calories for one 5-ounce glass EARLY in the day. That way, I'm budgeting for them all day, and I leave room for it as part of my daily routine.

If I have enough calories left at the end of the day and I've done pretty well with proteins during the day, I'll add a second glass in, along with a handful of dark chocolate chips, which is the only sweet I have most days.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Yep, mine too. i just add it in at the start of the day and build up my days food around it.
  • BerryH
    Options
    I actually bought standard pub measure 125ml glasses - they're tiny compared to what I used to drink out of! But it means I get six glasses out of each bottle usually over two nights.

Is this thread making anyone else fancy popping a cork tonight?
  • jallen1955
    jallen1955 Posts: 121
    Options
    I love my white wine...but it was a killer for adding empty calories. So I switched to white wine spritzers....pour out 6 oz wine into measuring cup and split that into 2 or 3 drinks over the evening. Bingo...calorie control and still get my wine!