My clothes don't fit!

Replies

• michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 486 Member
    i've been watching garage sales and such and just got a whole bunch of nice clothes for $20! :) make sure you're looking there!

and don't be afraid of salvation army or goodwill! :)

^^^This...there are LOTS of nice clothes for cheap!!!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    I completely hate belts, so that is not an option for me either! You've definitely got to try some yard sales or Goodwill/Thrift/Consignment stores for transition clothing! I was lucky because I kept all of my smaller clothes from before I had my son, but now I am started to shrink out of those too!
  • 1_Happy_Camper
    1_Happy_Camper Posts: 63 Member
    there should be a cloting exchange for MFP members to pass on things that are too big for them to someone else. All's I'm sayin'.....
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    I have been buying dresses because I can alter them more easily and wear them longer. I also watch every sales rack. I have found plenty of stuff in the retails store for $4. If I see something smaller that cheap too, I will buy them before they fit. I try to make sure that I always have at least one outfit that I feel really good wearing.
  • Lizajane42
    Lizajane42 Posts: 133 Member
    You may also consider checking with friends/family to see if anyone is good at taking in clothes or knows of an alteration shop that will do inexpensive alterations. This won't work for everything by any means, but you may be able to get a little more wear out of your pants at least if you can find someone to do this. For that matter, you would look up tutorials on how to do it yourself and learn a valuable skill! :D
  • micervera
    micervera Posts: 114 Member
    I know that feeling. I finally gave up my last pair of size 16 pants that used to fit me so tight I could hardly breathe. Now they fit so loose and I would have to wear a belt with them to keep them up. I gave them one last good use and then tossed them away. I did, however took a picture in them to remind me of where I was once so that I don't go back to that. I did have to buy clothes that did fit and I shopped at thrift stores and even the clearance racks from new retailers. I buy items that are on sale, really cheap like 70% to 80% off. But I get mist of my pants of Goodwill or thrift stores. I don't want to buy expensive jeans until I hit my goal and maintain. Have fun shopping!!
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    I try to buy a few new things with every size change...staples, like black and brown pants. It gets me through without investing a lot. Most of my shirts still work even though they're getting a little baggy.
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Hey If you LOVE what you've got take them to a taylor! Or at least a few key pieces that you can wear and feel great in. Most of the time you can get minor alterations done for around 15 Dollars. Then you can still wear your favorite pieces. THe key is you have to embrace the size you are now! Yes you plan to loose more, but you still need to feel good now.
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Goodwill! I found some pretty nice clothes there, and they're extremely cheap. Roughly $4.00 for a pair of pants.:happy:
  • lizzynewm
    lizzynewm Posts: 199 Member
    flea markets, ebay, garage sales... or maybe you know someone who is good with a sewing machine who will take the clothes in a bit for you!

by the way, congratulations on the huge loss!!!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Clearance racks at JC Penney, Old Navy, and Gap.
    Especially if you have an outlet near you.
    I bought a pair of pants from the Gap for like 3$ and a skirt for 2$

Consignment stores most def!

Also, oldnay.com, combine coupons plus their clearance pricing and you can get a lot
  • suthrnladey
    suthrnladey Posts: 36
    If you have time, you can list the clothes that are too big for you on Listia (www.listia.com), then use your points to get some smaller ones. It's all free--some listings even have free shipping.

The site has lots of categories--it's not only for clothing.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    goodwill. :P
  • glonigan
    glonigan Posts: 82
    First of all congratulations. I know for myself (guy) I was able to go to a tailor and have my work clothes taken in at a fraction of the cost of buying new. It may be an option for some of your items to get more wear out of them.
  • MaryRegs
    MaryRegs Posts: 272 Member
    congratulations and wherever you find smaller clothes-enjoy it!! BE PROUD of your accomplishment-show the world!!
  • Amy_Lynn74
    Amy_Lynn74 Posts: 134 Member
    THRIFT STORES!!!:flowerforyou:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Go buy clothes. Seriously. It is important for you to appreciate your new figure. Just buy what you need and don't go overboard but buy flattering nice clothes and keep working.
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    And check to see if you have a Ross near you, you can get some nice clothes pretty cheap there, too.
  • hottiebikerchick
    hottiebikerchick Posts: 187 Member
    Thrift shops or other women in the family that are a size smaller.....
  • 519harley
    519harley Posts: 241 Member
    Most definately, Thrift Stores are the way to go. You can get things that sometimes still have tags on them and the prices can't be beat. I've been doing it for YEARS. If you do go there, look for things that look new. Thats my motto. No one will ever know unless you tell them. My friends and I go and absolutly fill out trunks with bags of clothes. I love it. The fun part is the FIND. Enjoy and Congrats on your weight loss. Well done!!!