do you count water in coffee/tea as daily water?

Options
da_sammit
da_sammit Posts: 238 Member
so just wanting to see how many of you do this.

do you count the water thats in other beverages (coffee, tea, hot drinks) as water consumed on your daily diary??

Replies

• bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Not coffee, but white iced tea I do count.

You get hydration anytime you have something liquid (in varying amounts) or eat anything that isn't dry.
  • joannezuk
    joannezuk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I just count water as water. I feel as though, when you mix it with other stuff, your body has to process it to get at the water. So I try to drink 8 cups of just water each day, in addition to my coffee.
  • fitnotfluffy
    fitnotfluffy Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I don't count my coffee, but I do count my unsweetened green/black tea. :)
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I think coffee is actually dehydrating, no?
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I don't count anything but water, but I think it would be fine to count both.

The dehydrating effect of coffee doesn't negate the liquid in it. It's more, "Not as good as drinking water" than "You just peed that entire cup out!"
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I don't count anything but water, but I think it would be fine to count both.

The dehydrating effect of coffee doesn't negate the liquid in it. It's more, "Not as good as drinking water" than "You just peed that entire cup out!"

This would probably explain why my mother has not died of dehydration. I swear she drinks nothing at all but coffee. I drink a lot more water than average, but coffee makes me feel like I'm going to die of dehydration sometimes.
  • millie_de
    millie_de Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I count my green and herbal teas since they are hydrating, but I agree, I don't think coffee should be counted.
  • huntingforhipbones
    Options
    I count anything natural and without calories/caffeine - so I'd count, say, peppermint tea, but not a diet coke.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    No I don't count tea or coffees as part of water intake.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I just count water as water. I feel as though, when you mix it with other stuff, your body has to process it to get at the water.
    Err... Think about what you've just said...

That would mean that if you drink a glass of water with a meal of roast chicken and vegetables, the water counts, but if you have chicken soup it doesn't.

Does that sound right to you? Of course not! It all gets squished up together in your stomach!

Unless you starve yourself for a couple of hours before drinking your water, and never drink water until at least an hour after eating! :bigsmile:
  • Jesse_Hunter
    Jesse_Hunter Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I think you are putting to much emphasis on water.

The best thing for you is water and water alone. If you consume tea, coffee then just worry about calories and other nutrients and keep drinking your water.

If you drink 14 cups instead of 12 cups of water, Great! Being well hydrated is the goal anyways.

I personally consume a gallon to 1 1/2 gallons of water a day and STILL sometimes notice that I am slightly under-hydrated. My point is, the extra few cups that you may drink a day by not adding in the coffee and tea will only work towards your benefit.
  • MattHodder
    MattHodder Posts: 3
    Options
    No decent evidence that despite being a very wimpy diuretic caffeine in beverages causes any significant diuresis. You wan't to log coffee go for it!

You could probably find a web page claiming black is white so I treat any with a healthy amount of cynicism but have a look at

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50654
  • royalty_mind_1me
    royalty_mind_1me Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    oh no I never do, usually im putting splenda or soy milk in it anyways....water is water! great question :tongue:
  • herownkindofwonderfull
    herownkindofwonderfull Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    NEVER.

Water is water is water. I wouldn't even count flavored water as "water", if I drank it.

If you are counting tea, etc. as water, a lot of the time, caffeine in the tea will actually DEHYDRATE you. You lose more water than you gain when you drink tea (aside from herbal / noncaffeinated teas).

But yes. As a few others are here... I believe that only water should be logged as water. You're not getting enough, otherwise..
  • BeckiCharlotte13x
    BeckiCharlotte13x Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    what about squash?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I think coffee is actually dehydrating, no?

no.

For that to be the case it would need to cause the loss of more water than it contained.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    the 8 glasses of 8 ozs is largely a baseless number plucked out of the air. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2002/08/020809071640.htm

If hydration is your concern that's as much about salt as water - think about "rehydration salts" which are a dry powder.

Your water / H2O balance is equally well served by H2O in a glass of water, a glass of pepsi, a mug of coffee or the H2O in the foods you eat.
  • SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I count my green and herbal teas since they are hydrating, but I agree, I don't think coffee should be counted.

This is how I do it as well. Since the weather is awful over here at the moment I can't bear to drink cold water, but herbal teas are lovely and have added positive effects beyond hydration.
    I wouldn't count coffee, fizzy drinks and so on though.
  • anj911
    anj911 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    what about squash?

I count squash, I don't count coffee or green tea, herbal tea etc though
  • falstaff007
    falstaff007 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do because I read a medical report on some research to say that the fluid contained in the beverages is obviously water.