My Story, Who Flipped the Switch?

Options
Hey guys, Steve here..

I wanted to tell my story and I think now is a great time!

I'm 22, almost 23. I'm a graduate student in PA medical studies in NY.

When I was just 17 I got a girl friend. I went from playing baseball competitively for most days of the week and weighing 180 lb to gaining over 30 pounds in less than 2 months. My liver enzymes went through the roof and all that jazz. Well my enzymes went back to normal even though I didnt lose weight. I went back and forth with diets for short stints. I was 225 at my heaviest. Around 210-215 (38" pants, xl shirts) until last September (2011). I was in class learning about diabetes management with patients and counseling them when I got struck so damn hard by this inner feeling of self-disappointment. I didnt want to be the provider telling the patient to exercise and lose weight if I was this fat slob! When I got out of class I promised myself I was going to change my life and I immediately signed up for a gym nearby. I went to that gym my very first night. Luckily, since I used to be an athlete, my body reacted well to a new life style and my knowledge of human physiology and nutrition made dieting more attainable. That first night I ran/walked 2 miles after lifted weights for 45 minutes! I learned about High intensity internal training and did that 6-7 days a week on the treadmill, 5 days a week I also did weights (a bit silly, I know). With a diet high in fiber, green-leafy veges lean protein and low fat/sugar (all about moderation!), I was able to drop weight realllly quickly. Also, I adopted whey protein (I use gold standard from optimum nutrition) after work outs. Also into vitamin supplements (magnesium, B complex!!, potassium, omega-3, flax oil, vitamin-c 1000 complex, vitamin d!!!, CoQ10).

This leaves us at new year. I was able to run 3 miles continuously. In one month I pushed myself from 3 to 3.5 to 4.5 then one day I just decided to keep going and ran over 6 miles. It was then I knew I had something inside of me greater than I ever knew.

A friend of mine suggested Insanity.. more of a in-passing thing. She didn't expect me to try it... I not only took on the challenge, I one-upped it (against recommendation, lol). On recovery days I ran hard and lifted, on rest days I ran 5k instead and biked for an hour on stationary bike. I did this and after the first week that same friend and another asked me to do Tough Mudder, and I was like "no way, I cant do that". A few days later, I said, "no.. I'm going to do this, I'm going to push myself". Insanity put me in a shape I didn't think I could get to. I lost another 10 pounds and my body morphed. I was down to 168 (size 32 pants, Medium shirts), where I probably weighed in 8/9th grade. The last 2 weeks were tougher mentally because of my short attention span (doing the same few exercises can get boring) but I just kept going and going. Running and lifting and doing Rocky IV type training in b/w.

At this point I was really settled into a "lifestyle" diet. I know when to eat and what to eat and I can sustain my eating habits at this point! And I love all the extra energy you get from eating right and exercising!

This brings us to yesterday, Sunday 4/29/12. I successfully completed the tough mudder. Before the starting line there was a wall we had to climb over. The new Steve was the first in my group to say "fu<k it" and went after it! No holding back anymore! The first 6 miles I kept up with my friend who does these types of things often (including trail running). We made a ridiculous pace even with the obstacles. Finally after all the freezing water and reheating, my muscles were getting sore (hip flexors and calves). this slowed my pace, but now I know what to fix next time! I've never tested myself so hard mentally and physically and I feel so accomplished. I have an inner bliss right now I didnt know existed!

This brings us to me writing this now... so what's next? I will incorporate Insanity into a lot more weight training and just keep up the cardio. I really dont have any aspiration to do a 1/2 marathon (or marathon), that's just not fun for me :\. I would like to do 5 or 10ks for different causes though! I may do a spartan race or warrior dash just to see how quick I can do it. I guess I take the biggest bites possible (jumping into insanity so quickly.. doing the tough mudder when never doing anything like it before). That's me though, I always just go all in or nothing!

What I'm scared about -> going back to the old ways and being fat again. I have rotations for a year coming up the 1st week of June where I'll be in hospitals working for anywhere from 50-80 hrs a week. Time and energy to exercise will be scarce, so diet will be most key.

But that's me. Don't think I missed anything. I'm just at a happy place right now. And I like helping my MFP friends here reach that same happiness. I'm always here if you have some medical questions regarding diet/exercise/whatever if I can answer them! I'll always be honest, no bs here!

Oh and one last thing... Never lose track of who you were before you got in shape and lost weight. Don't become jaded, don't realize when it's too late like i did. Find a happy medium and a good outlet for all this extra energy!

Actually one more thing.. this has helped me when I needed it most.. remember, only you get in your way: "Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't"

Replies

• sheilairis
    sheilairis Posts: 16
    Options
    Awesome story! Good for you to know what you wanted and getting it..and then some! I'm sure you'll always be reaching for more....and getting it! It's in your blood now :) You should be very proud of yourself. Great job!
  • delco714
    delco714 Posts: 229
    Options
    Thanks! And I think your right.. I think I'll be pushing myself further and further regardless ;). Thanks again :)!
  • potatoyam
    potatoyam Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    i'm feeling all stressed for you going into your rotations. diet WILL be key, i've watched a few of my nursing friends balloon as they adjust to the lifestyle.
    You can keep it off though, you're dedicated! YOu WILL DO GREAT!
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    thats awesome! great job pushing! I need to push myself right now cuz im kind of stuck I feel.I have to readjust my goals.
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Awesome story!!! Thank you so much for sharing. I am 54 and disabled and trying to lose 60 lbs plus help my daughter who is a single mother lose some weight. We have a long hereditary history of medical problems. Well, I just wanted to let you know that I was very inspired by your story. Always looking for new inspiration, friends and tips to help me improve my life and MFP has been a wonderful thing for me.

I know that you will do wonderfully while on your rotations!!! You have come this far and I know that you won't go back to old ways!!! Remember that we are all here for you too (although you may not need us!! LOL).

Bev
  • sweetpotatofry
    sweetpotatofry Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Love your positivity :smile: this was a great read, congrats on your awesome journey!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Awesome story! I'm aiming for a Tough Mudder next year :)
  • delco714
    Options
    Thanks for the wonderful and warm comments guys! It really means a lot. And if you found it inspiring? Well what more could I hope for, that means ever more to me!

Never stop believing in yourself, and never think that there is a pinnacle. There's always another step you can push yourself to, whether it is diet/exercise or something completely unrelated!
  • JoeyTajzai
    JoeyTajzai Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    awesome story!
  • Switty_Kitty
    Switty_Kitty Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Congrats on all you've accomplished so far!!
  • jcmcdonald72
    Options
    Very positive and uplifting story! Thanks for sharing.
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Your story is awesome and inspirational, too! I used to be in very good shape and I was into some pretty serous road cycling. I stopped because of similar reasons, I'm I'm just getting into fitness again. Some times it seems like a long climb back up but hearing things like this give me hope. Thanks so much for sharing your story with all of us!
  • CampKelly
    CampKelly Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Ya know when you're reading a people magazine article about a weight loss story and it's just not enough...well this was perfect! A great read and very inspiring! Thanks for sharing and lots of luck in your studies.
  • delco714
    Options
    Thanks again, again guys! All the love it appreciated and I'm glad you like my story! :')
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Options
    Inspiring man, it's really helpful for me to read stories from males, seeing as a lot of the succes stories I see are mothers with kids or older women...it's nice to read about someone my age & gender. Great job & keep it up.
  • moepwr
    moepwr Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    great story! Make sure you make you a priority when you are doing your rotations! Good luck.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    Great Story. Amazing how things just click and all the sudden a whole new world of possibilities open up.

Priority should be your rotation. If you keep clean and good eating habits, you should be OK.

Insanity is insane! I tremble at the thought of doing it. Maybe that will be my next challenge.
  • Agirard25
    Agirard25 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    great job and awesome story! And just food for thought....maybe there is a room at the hospital that you can lock yourself in and workout? I am a teacher, with two small kids at home. Working out was next to impossible for me....until I started bring my P90X to school with me! When classes end I put paper up on my windows, lock the door, and BRING IT! I have more energy and am a more active mom for my girls the second I get them, and I don't have to spend 20 minutes to get to the gym, and 20 to get home! I just do 50 minutes of focused time, and when I can't get 50-I'll do 25 or 30....whatever I can get! But perhaps you could find a room to do pushups, squats, whatever just to give you a little bit! GOOD LUCK!
  • kmgarza
    kmgarza Posts: 31
    Options
    Awesome story and good job!!! :smile:
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    That's a great story. You have a lot to be proud of.

I used to work 70 hours a week while going to grad school, and still had enough time left over to get a workout in. Not a lot of time, and I was kind to myself, but it's there if you want to do it. I know you will find a way to make this work.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!