Beginning Listing Help Please :)

Options
terraskye
terraskye Posts: 370 Member
I'd like to incorporate some lifting into my workout routing..maybe every other day so I'm not just doing cardio everyday..However I do not know even where to begin.

Can someone please recommend a good book for lifting for women. I'd just love to tone while I'm losing as I'm hoping it will help prevent too much excess skin as I drop the 100lbs I need to lose.

My apartment building has a small fitness room with dumbells, free weights and a nautilus machine so a book with good photo diagrams in using all of them properly would be awesome :)

Thank you so much in advance.

P.S. I was going to try and get a trainer for a one session walk through but I'm not working so a good book is what i can afford right now to take with me to the fitness room

Fiona:)

EDITED TO ADD: Sorry for the typo /facepalm Should be LIFTING in the subject title lol

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength. There's no such thing as lifting for men or lifting for women.
  • terraskye
    Options
    Starting Strength. There's no such thing as lifting for men or lifting for women.

Well I guess I learned something today :) I hadn't realized that

• tigersword
    Options
    Common misconception, for some reason women seem to think that they need some odd, specialized strength training routine. Truth is, we all have the same exact muscle groups, and they all operate in the exact same way. The actual weight will be different, usually, but the routines and movements and concepts are exactly the same.

And Starting Strength is a great reference, Mark Rippetoe is a great strength coach, and it's a very well written book that covers form very well, lots of illustrations, photos, and very in depth descriptions, not just on how to do a lift, but why you do the lift, along with very good explanations on the actual biomechanics of how the body functions.
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Fix your post title, you will probably get more responses, not being critical just saying
  • terraskye
    Options
    Fix your post title, you will probably get more responses, not being critical just saying

i tried to but it wouldn't let me:( and i can' t delete the post either :(
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
    and free program on the web: Strong Lifts 5X5

group on MFP: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • terraskye
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
    and free program on the web: Strong Lifts 5X5

group on MFP: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Thank you!!!! I saw that book but wasn't sure it was a good one or not:) Will pick it up tomorrow and I joined the 5x5 group too
  • tigersword
    Options
    I'd go with Stronglifts or Starting Strength over New Rules of Lifting For Women, there's quite a bit of unnecessary garbage in New Rules.
  • terraskye
    Options
    bumped