Paleo Diet

Options
Hi everyone,
Unknown to me until recently, I have been following a diet very simmilar to the Paleo Diet. I have begun reading its actual tenets and would only need to make some minor changes to completely follow it. For instance I will have to drop the processed carbs and replace them with fruit or other natural carb sources and would have to add the nuts and olive oil INTO my diet (I was already dairy free so no probs there).

SO, has anyone else tried this diet sucessfully?

So far I have lost 17lbs and, honestly, I feel great in every way; mentaly, emotionally, and physically. I am exercising almost daily and for some reason I am even starting to crave the exercise! I'm not trying to tout anything here, btw, just being honest with what has happened for me.

Anyway, get back to me if you have any advice or input. My new goal is to begin getting in shape so I can start cross-fit type exercise so if there is a better way to do it I would love to hear it,

Thanks,

JB

Replies

• jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • canuckgirl0992
    Options
    Honestly, if the paleo "diet" is done correctly then I think it has some good aspects to it... however I could see a struggle with obtaining a broad range of nutrients so I would say...

Make sure you have good sources of calcium in your diet since you cannot eat dairy
    Focus more on alternative protein sources instead of processed meats and red meats which a lot of paleo dieters eat = UNHEALTHY (I am not sure if it allows legumes, edamame etc.)
    Without the ability to eat whole grains you may lack some vitamins such as folic acid which are found abundantly in whole grains so do your research so you can adequately supplement with the appropriate food :)

I would just make sure you are eating clean, whole, unprocessed, nutritious food!
  • JBHawaii
    JBHawaii Posts: 94
    Options
    Legumes are a big no no and the folic acid in whole grains is actually added and not a natural part of the food. Luckily there is pleanty of fruit. As for the calcium I am taking sups... Thanks for the advice tho... Much appreciated!
  • sunshinedazed
    Options
    Honestly, if the paleo "diet" is done correctly then I think it has some good aspects to it... however I could see a struggle with obtaining a broad range of nutrients so I would say...

Make sure you have good sources of calcium in your diet since you cannot eat dairy
    Focus more on alternative protein sources instead of processed meats and red meats which a lot of paleo dieters eat = UNHEALTHY (I am not sure if it allows legumes, edamame etc.)
    Without the ability to eat whole grains you may lack some vitamins such as folic acid which are found abundantly in whole grains so do your research so you can adequately supplement with the appropriate food :)

I would just make sure you are eating clean, whole, unprocessed, nutritious food!

What makes you say that eating red meat is unhealthy? One of the tenants behind the paleo diet is, essentially, going back to our most original form of nutrition. Our bodies love red meat. :)
  • canuckgirl0992
    Options
    Unless you are eating organic, grass fed meat you are obtaining a lot of antibiotics, growth hormones etc. depending on where you live (In Canada the use of growth hormone is apparently not allowed but I still stay away from it)

Also numerous, numerous studies have shown a direct correlation between the consumption of red meat and heart disease, this is due to the high level of saturated fat .. although I do eat red meat occasionally (because it tastes good :P) and it is a good source of iron, b12 etc. I can get healthier sources of protein and iron elsewhere :)
  • JBHawaii
    JBHawaii Posts: 94
    Options
    I agree with the reasoning for red meat but not for the same reasons. The true cause of the elevated BAD fats in cows is their grain fed nature. This results in the wrong fatty acids being produced and then deposited into the meat, just like in human. Grass fed beef is much much better... The fat contents are mush more balanced and perfectly good for you. It's all about product quality. I don't really do much red meat... Mostly I eat free range chicken, wild caught cold-water fish and fresh shrimp. The omega 3 content is high and the good saturated fats are concentrated in these meats.

I am also not a proponent of the bacon/paleo diet. Again, WAY too much fat:protein ratio and ultimately far too acidifying of the kidney. Going back to an earlier comment, it's this acidity that makes us lose calcium through excretion.

Meat is good... But GOOD meat is even better!