In need of true support!

Options
Hi guys. I usually don't do this....actually i've never done this!

I've been an MFP member since late January 2012. Since joining I've been up and down within a 15lb range on the scale. I knew I was ready to lose the weight this year but now it's May 1st and I'm just fed up. I'm 5'9" and at my heaviest (on January 20th 2011) I weighed 361.8.....Now I'm 350+. I can't tell you how embarrassed I am by these numbers....

The reason behind this post is all in the title. I just hope to find some people who are just as fed up as I am OR who were once in my shoes and understand the struggle of obesity. I've been overweight since probably about the 4th grade and I've struggled to lose weight ever since. I'm only 25 yrs old, and while I do have friends, they are few. And half of them live out of town.....and ALL of them are small girls. I just want to have a group of friends I can reach out to for advice, encouragement, and maybe event a rant or two when the fight gets to me.

I know most people will probably read this and laugh.....if it even stays visible long enough for anyone to read it lol. I just hope I can find a few people who understand where I'm coming from and don't mind a new (maybe even lifelong) friend. Regardless of the outcome I wish everyone the best in your journeys!

Replies

• LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say that I read it and didn't laugh. I'm not in your shoes but I want to give you some support. You're here, that's a good first step. Just take it one step at a time.
  • ifyouknew
    ifyouknew Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I didn't laugh either! I don't think anyone would, because you recognize the problem and are trying to work on it. The fact that you assumed people would laugh at you says a lot about your self-esteem. You deserve better from yourself! Be honest with yourself about the food and exercise you log, and you WILL lose weight with MFP. But even if you don't, you still deserve love and friendship, especially from yourself.
  • Julielynn83
    Julielynn83 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I didn't laugh at all! I know how you feel! Its a constant struggle everyday for me. I go through up and downs all the time!
  • Nettabee
    Nettabee Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I love myself on the inside. I think I'm a kind loving caring person with a great personality. But its the outside I hate. And when it comes to new people....or men in general.....I don't think I know what self-esteem is....
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm also 25. I've struggled with my weight for some time now as well. My heaviest (beginning of the year) was 286. I'm almost half way to my goal right now. You can do it! Just take it one day at a time. It's not a race, it's a journey :) I was so hung up on what the future result will be that I was not enjoying the little things like losing weight and being active, I was always thinking "I want more results, faster, the quicker I get to goal the better." then I hit a plateau....and I was devestated. I looked at it as wasting time that could he spent at my goal. (this happened about 17 lbs ago) and I am so glad that it happened, it changed my whole view, now I celebrate little improvements. I'm happy "only" losing 1 lb at weigh in. And I am truly now starting to enjoy the journey. If I could give you only 1 peice of advise it would be that, don't look at it as an ends to a means, enjoy it! :) good luck!!!!
  • mrsnathanandrew
    mrsnathanandrew Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya there!! I'm 22, always been overweight/obese. Highest weight was 258, now just over 200! The few friends that I have are all out of town, and they are all a little bigger, but not interested in losing weight the right way like I am! Feel free to add me on here :)
  • Nettabee
    Options
    I have an appointment with the lifestyle change clinic at my job today at 11:30. Its the first group session after my initial evaluation. I'm very excited to try something new and work with a doctor who can help me understand what I'm doing wrong and where I can improve. But like everyone is saying I will try to take it one day at a time.
  • Julielynn83
    Julielynn83 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Good Luck!
    :smile:
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Add if you would like... and there is nothing laughable about your story and I commend you for taking the steps toward accomplishing your goals... :)
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me (open to all who read). I've been on MFP for a little over two months and working on weight loss for over 5 months. I've lost 30 lbs and wish to lose another 60 lbs. I needed to get to where I am on my own (stubborn old German in me :smile: ) and now am opening myself up to support. I'm on almost every day and am willing to help support anyone who needs it.
  • FunandFitMom
    FunandFitMom Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    No laughing here - just a "you go, girl!" Asking for support and committing yourself to the journey is a great start. Feel free to message me when you need a boost.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I'm not in your shoes, nor have I ever been. But I didn't laugh and I hope no one does laugh at you.

I'd love to be your friend and help you out.
    To me, the biggest inspirations are the people who have lost as much as you want to and have completely changed their lives around.
    There are groups for people who want to lose 100lbs+, you should find them so you'll have relate-able friends
  • broekte
    broekte Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    If you need some support I'm on here every day and I've been where you are. I still go through the ups and downs, I think all of us here do as we are looking to change these habits we have lived for years and years. At my heaviest I was almost 400 pounds so I understand how scary and challenging it can be to change. I'm down to around 265 now but still I want to move down into the healthy range and that is why I'm here. If you'd like feel free to add me as a friend.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    You're heading in the right direction and found a fantastic tool to help you MFP :heart: Keep going! Btw, no one is laughing... most people understand and we all have our own struggles with weight and or fitness.
  • Sonnie124
    Sonnie124 Posts: 99
    Options
    Hi Netta ~ Feel free to add me. Most of the people on MFP are here for the same reason and won't laugh at you. My first thought for you is, STAY OFF THE SCALE! Yes, I yelled at you! The numbers change every day and you will be sick over it! You can do this. You didn't gain the weight overnight and won't lost it overnight! You can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • Carnivorekat
    Carnivorekat Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I am definitely not laughing, I have been struggling getting back into the weight loss regime have been using MFP for a similar amount of time, and weigh more than I started - I have just seemed to get my head around it again and am finally starting to control what I eat. I am not local to you but I do need to lose about 100lbs so am in it for the long haul I quite often have a rant on a blog which helps me to get the problem out of my head and into perspective.

You can add me if you need extra support - good luck you can do this x
  • 1oriana
    1oriana Posts: 10
    Options
    Hey Nettabee,
    I saw this post and I am behind you 100%. I am not obese but a struggle is a struggle and I would love to be a motivator even if it's on the computer. Good luck with your weight loss goal. If you have a made up mind and support you can accomplish this goal.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I read it and laughed, you'll laugh at it too someday. I come from a big family in numbers and size. some of us have gotten smaller with hard work. my fav sister was in the same boat but shes in her 40's and is finally doing something about it. I'm getting close to my 100lbs gone mark and it's been a long road but worth it. and yeah I've had ups and downs. dropped 70lbs gained 30 back....

you'll get there with slow steady progress
  • Nettabee
    Options
    Thanks so much you guys. MFP is truly a different world than what im use to.....i dont have many people to talk to about this strugggle/journey offline, but here its so overwhelming how many people reach out to you. I'm that much more determined to mle this happen because of you guys backing me. I CAN and I WILL become a healthier BETTER me!