calves really sore early in run - or walk!

Options
2»

Replies

• annaruby4
    Options
    This always happens to me after 1-2 months of training (if I've stopped for awhile) and I finally made the connection that for me it seems to be from low iron. Running demands more red blood cells than being sedentary and can destroy red blood cells. Two weeks of a iron supplementation always clears this up for me. I got a recent blood test around the time it flared up again and I wasn't officially anemic, but I was on the low side. I usually take one iron pill at night and one in the morning for 2-4 weeks and then switch to one a day or slightly less once I'm feeling good again - but don't overdo it, iron overdose can happen!
  • metapheric
    Options
    McMap45 - Ditto on the burning calves. There was no such diagnosis as hyperactivity, etc. when I was coming up. That said, I don't run, but I never sit still for more than a few minutes. My calves begin burning after walking maybe a half mile to a mile. What caught my eye on your post was that, like you, the burning is infinitely greater when I'm walking uphill, even on a slight incline. Though the incidence is far better now, it began (coincidentally or not) about eight years ago when I was covering the organophosphate pesticide poisoning of a community in my area. And I spent a lot of time in that community. Many hundreds of people were affected, some with illnesses that linger still today. It was during those months in the summer of 2006 that I noticed, for the first time in my life, that my calves were burning, sometimes after walking only a couple hundred yards. Like I said, it's better these days. If I stop and wait a couple of minutes then start walking again it relieves the burning somewhat. Once I quit walking the burning subsides after a minute or less and does not return. And like you, I've looked around and found no satisfactory answers!! Perhaps annaruby4 is correct about iron. Meantime, I have little trust in doctors since many/most seem to be the spokespersons for the pharma industry for which I have absolutely no trust. I'll check back if I find anything and/or to see if you or anyone else has. There is always an answer...
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    i wear compression socks when I run. although it might not be needed during my run because I'm only running 6.2 miles but I wear them because I don't like the dirt all over my legs. I also have calf compression sleeves that I wear for recovery. after i shower, i put them on.
  • brianmcfarland18
    Options
    I've had about the same but i cant seem to make it past 10 minutes of walking without this intense burning in my calves its not tightening up its just burning and its been like that for years. So a long walk is a literal pain for me any one know whats the cause of this? Yes i stretch first. Any help could help me change my life.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the replies, but how many of you guys wear heels a lot?
    I remember the year I ditched mine for hikers and was in so much pain even walking to college. Then I went one further and got zero-drop running shoes. Another painful adjustment.
    Anyhow, it appears your muscles an ligaments shorten and adapt to your customary footwear, and if you only wear walking or running shoes when going out to exercise, they protest the change.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the replies, but how many of you guys wear heels a lot?
    I remember the year I ditched mine for hikers and was in so much pain even walking to college. Then I went one further and got zero-drop running shoes. Another painful adjustment.
    Anyhow, it appears your muscles an ligaments shorten and adapt to your customary footwear, and if you only wear walking or running shoes when going out to exercise, they protest the change.

The heels bit is actually what was in my mind. It's possible that your calf muscles are shorter than they should be (which can potentially be a side effect from heels too often, or natural). I've had nieces and nephews that needed to be forced to walk flat footed because they had shorter achilles tendons and would walk on their tip toes, so I could imagine something similar could be an issue in this case. Constantly stretching out a muscle that is shorter than it maybe should be could lead to persistent pain even at low intensity.

If that's the case though, the only way to fix it is persistent stretching and a good warm up, which was a conclusion you already came to!
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Couple of thoughts here from a long time runner.... 1 -- warm up by a walk before stretching or do dynamic stretches. Static stretches, especially on cold musles, are discouraged nowadays. There are also such thing as dynamic stretches that my chiropractor suggested. I do them for hamstring but there are dynamic calf stretches which are good before exercise. 2- the next time you have severe pain during exercise, ice that part afterwards. Use a gel pack or two inside long socks or ace bandage. You might find that next time it doesn't hurt as much.
  • la_te_ra_lus
    la_te_ra_lus Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    you can use a lacrosse ball/raquetball/tennis ball for this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-H8yKIDnNo
  • ajamesedit
    Options
    Glad to have found this thread. No-one else seems to understand this! Started Nordic walking 4 weeks ago and my diet 2 weeks ago, and have now completed my 3rd 'parkrun' (5km, N walking it). I am also going out for a 1.2 mile walk each lunchtime and am experiencing high levels of calf pain (lower outside leg, both sides, no redness or swelling) whilst doing this, it stops almost as soon as I stop walking although leaves a bit of an ache. I have very muscular calves too, and struggle to wear flat shoes having worn a slight heel (only 1 to 2 inches, can't do high heels either!) most of my life. I realised doing the 5km that I can push through this to some extent although the pain doesn't stop until I do.
  • cassandrac1983
    Options
    I know this thread is old, but I'll throw in my 2 cents for new readers...

If running is the ultimate goal, start slow! I had wicked wicked calf cramps when I started. Drinking more water helped, and getting out there and doing it helped! I'd run 30 seconds, walk 2 mins 30 seconds, then start again. It was a long process, I often stopped during my walk breaks to stretch, but eventually, the pain just went away, and now I'm training for a marathon!
  • lorrimcmichael
    Options
    I have severe burning in my lower, outside of leg and towards top of foot. It stops pretty quickly and doesn't stop until I start walking (exercising not day-to-day walking). I am stumped as to what to do as are many other I see here. Has anyone found any relief? If so, please share. Dr.s look at me like they are stumped.I have changed shoes mutliple times. I wanna be a walker!!
  • Jpitt57488
    Jpitt57488 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have this exact same problem and as someone else mentioned mine is actually worse when walking. I did the couch to 5k program recently and combining running and walking was often the worst. I would run extra during the walking stages because I couldn't take the calf pain while walking. Running with a short stride was less painful.

I basically worked through the problem and I had gone through the program and was running 30 minutes 2-3 times a week but I had an unrelated injury and had to take a break from running for a while. I am just getting back into it and have been walking/running in my neighborhood (very hilly). The funny thing is a did this a few times and my calves felt fine and I didn't think I would have to cross the hurdle. However I went out today and after a short walk my calves started burning and basically seized up. I turned around and ran home.

A couple of things to note is I think I might have been a little dehydrated. I was outside all weekend in 90 degree weather and consumed a few too many adult beverages. I also lifted weights 2 days prior including calf raises. I didn't do any stretching or warming up (as mentioned earlier...I though walking WAS the warm up!).
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Same problem here. Just usual walking gives me excruciating calf pain, like massive charlie horse pain. Before I work out now, I rub in A535 or another muscle rub to relax the muscle first. Otherwise I have to keep stopping until the pain subsides.