One SPOON of MAYO?! O.o (pics)

Options
13»

Replies

• onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    When measuring out a tablespoon, I use the measuring spoon that says "1 TBSP".
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't measure anything. I eyeball it and go. I've been known to measure a cup of milk, but only because I love it and will be much too liberal with it. But other than that, I'm guesstimating.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    If I counted as one "spoon" of mayo the amount I can pile on a soup spoon it would probably be a quarter of a cup. (I love that *kitten*)

But the nutrition information doesn't say "spoon" it says "tbsp". "tbsp" is a tablespoon. It is always leveled.

measuring_spoon.jpg

See people! This is what happens when we cut electives like home economics in schools!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Food scale. Use grams. Case closed!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,240 Member
    Options
    A tablespoon is a measurement, just like a cup. Get some measuring spoons.

^^^^
    THIS

A tablespoon is an actual measurement.of volume. 15ml is the metric equivalent. It is not the amount what we call a tablespoon and use on our tables is.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Measuring spoons - i find it confusing because our tablespoons are a different size in the UK anyway from what I hear...

1 tablespoon = 3 teaspoons = 1/16th of a cup = 0.5 ounces

But i agree with the guy who said that it's not THAT important to have it down to a science. I think if you get up and go to the bathroom three times, you burned off that extra little bit of mayo! ;)
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    If I counted as one "spoon" of mayo the amount I can pile on a soup spoon it would probably be a quarter of a cup. (I love that *kitten*)

But the nutrition information doesn't say "spoon" it says "tbsp". "tbsp" is a tablespoon. It is always leveled.

measuring_spoon.jpg

See people! This is what happens when we cut electives like home economics in schools!

OMG. I have a girl crush on you!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,240 Member
    Options
    Yeah a tablespoon is normally 15g / 15ml. But i always use these measuring spoons just in case.

MSP-47118.jpg

It is only 15g for water and things similar to water. Something denser will weight more for a tablespoon and something that is less dense will weigh less.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Your jar of mayo must have it's own nutritional label with measurements that are familiar to you. Compare that to the database entry.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    When measuring out a tablespoon, I use the measuring spoon that says "1 TBSP".

I don't know why you find it necessary to always be using your common sense.