New, looking for anything that helps shift my big belly!

Options
2»

Replies

• MisterTEZ
    MisterTEZ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    My methods are pretty drastic at the moment, but it's the only way I see fast results. Would like to do it the healthiest way so am open to hearing great ideas and tips and tricks. Thanks.

fast weight loss can't last, because it usually means adapting to very difficult eating habits and an impossible-to-live-with lifestyle. Losing weight slowly isn't just healthier, it's a better investment. Not only are you dropping pounds, you're working on building habits that you'll be able to maintain. And those habits will help you maintain the weight you lost, so you can stay at your goal weight for good. Its important to create a healthy relationship with food. That's the key to lifelong success.
  • billiammathias
    Options
    This cant be healthy. Just try out the MFP method of 1200 cals a day with working out 30-90 mins 3 times a week. Just try it for a few weeks and then judge by that what you should do. Ive tried the drastic diets and Ive come sick and so depressed, exhausted. I did the atkins diet losing 7lbs a week. After stoping in for a few weeks i agained a lot of my weight back and then some. Just try doing it this way I believe you will see results!
    -Angela
    ( Add me if you nneed anymore encouragement)

Yeah I think I'll give that a go! As I'm used to eating sooooo much, I just wanted to see if I could cope and if I could see results. Just as a starting point. Thanks for the advice.
  • natalieg0307
    natalieg0307 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    The healthiest way to lose weight is to set MFP to lose 2 lbs per week (starting out), eat lots of veggie, fruits and lean proteins. Exercise 30 to 60 minutes per day. Include strength training in your exercise. Eat back the majority of your exercise calories.

Take measurements and pictures and keep track of those along with keeping track of the pounds.

Read and learn everything you can about weight loss and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Keep what resonates with you and toss the rest.

This ^^^^^^^^
  • MsAprilNurse
    Options
    If u get down to 100 lbs u will be seriously under weight. At 5'3ish u should be somewhere around 135 lbs.

I was 103 lbs before I got pregnant. also with a herniated disc and 5'2", my Orthopedist wanted me to put less pressure on my spine, so he wants me to be around 100lbs. So, 100lbs is NOT at all underweight for 5'2"- 5'3"

Actually 100 lbs at 5'2 is very underweight. If u are doing it for health reasons and it has been recommended by ur physician to alleviate pain or pressure then that's fine. But that's not her reason or at least she didn't put that in her post. I have a friend that's 5'2 and around 100 lbs. She can't even get health insurance independently from some ins companies because she is under weight and it is considered a health risk just as an obese person is considered a health risk by some insurance companies and cannot get a policy independently (without an employer).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

I dropped nearly two stone in just over a month, but it was a drastic plan. Basically I ate nothing but carrots for a week or so, then started introducing small other things, like a tin of sardines, a small slice of cheese. I walked for up to four hours a day, then did an aerobics DVD for 1 hour 45 minutes. I also cut out all alcohol and only drank water. That helped shift it and now I'm working on maintaining it. I also used a slendertone flex for 2 hours a day to help firm up the muscles in my stomach.

I made sure I took a vitamin tablet throughout though, as the last thing I want is anaemia or osteoporosis for my efforts. Now I can have the odd naughty day without gaining more than a pound

I really really hope you are not recommending such a drastic and unhealthy (and potentially dangerous) plan to anyone.
  • MsAprilNurse
    Options
    If u get down to 100 lbs u will be seriously under weight. At 5'3ish u should be somewhere around 135 lbs.

100 lbs for that height IS considered "underweight" on a BMI calculator, but I don't think you can make the "seriously underweight" judgement without knowing what the OP's build is or seeing how they look.

That being said..."drastic methods" are just plain silly, and generally result in health issues or the person gaining back the weight (and then some). Stick to a healthy plan that includes eating (enough) healthy foods, drinking lots of water and getting plenty of exercise that includes some strength training to help with your muscle mass.

I think u have opinion mixed up with facts I'm not making a judgement, I'm stating a fact. Yes, it is under weight, seriously under weight, whatever, potatoes, potatos. Actually 100 lbs at 5'2 is very underweight. Ask any physician and there are numerous articles and studies on weight loss. I have a friend that's 5'2 and around 100 lbs. She can't even get health insurance independently from some ins companies because she is under weight and it is considered a health risk just as an obese person is considered a health risk by some insurance companies and cannot get a policy independently (without an employer).
  • omgzstef
    omgzstef Posts: 157
    Options
    Hiya,

I dropped nearly two stone in just over a month, but it was a drastic plan. Basically I ate nothing but carrots for a week or so, then started introducing small other things, like a tin of sardines, a small slice of cheese. I walked for up to four hours a day, then did an aerobics DVD for 1 hour 45 minutes. I also cut out all alcohol and only drank water. That helped shift it and now I'm working on maintaining it. I also used a slendertone flex for 2 hours a day to help firm up the muscles in my stomach.

I made sure I took a vitamin tablet throughout though, as the last thing I want is anaemia or osteoporosis for my efforts. Now I can have the odd naughty day without gaining more than a pound

Please tell me you're kidding........
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I think you need to rethink your goals. I'm a hair over 5'3" and weigh 133. I am currently a size 0-2. It doesn't get much smaller than that for our heights.

And I suggest not going to "drastic" measures to lose weight. It will only backfire.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Why not do things the healthy way so you attain a lifetime of weightloss and live healthy.

They plan you are on will not teach you any healthy habits and will only work for so long. It's a much better option to build a healthy relationship with food that will last a lifetime.