How can i get my mom motivated enough to start dieting?

Options
She has noticed how much weight i have lost in the last few weeks, and she keeps saying she is going to start her diet on monday and never does, and then on the weekends she always drinks. I tell her to keep trying and not drink, but i cant seem t get her motivated enough to start. HELP!!!!

Replies

• kitteerae
    Options
    She has noticed how much weight i have lost in the last few weeks, and she keeps saying she is going to start her diet on monday and never does, and then on the weekends she always drinks. I tell her to keep trying and not drink, but i cant seem t get her motivated enough to start. HELP!!!!
  • FUZZBUZZ4
    Options
    i kinda have the same problem my mom used to be in GREAT shape and then let herself go.. she keeps saying that she wants to join me in the weight loss but then saying she is too lazy when i ask her to exercise with me... any suggestions???
  • NurseBarb
    NurseBarb Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can motivate anyone without their express intent. I think everyone has to come to terms with their own reality as much as we would like to help them. Sad but true.

:flowerforyou:
  • bricker06
    Options
    all of your good intentions may not help.:cry: sorry but just like all of us they wont get motivated until they are really ready. while its really nice to try to motivate them your efforts may be useless.:cry::cry: :sad: keep asking them to work out with you or maybe just ask them to go for a walk. try asking them to do things that arent really like exercise. when you go to dinner set a good examlpe by ordering healthy.:smile: or invite them over for a healthy meal. sometimes people think they will only be able to eat rabbit food. :noway: show them that healthy cooking and eating food that is good for you can be very tasty. good luck. i would love to know how it works out for you.
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Not too much you can do but support you're mom and let her start in her time.....however, maybe sit down with her and set up an account for her on here, show her how easy it is to use it and follow, maybe she'll get that push she needs....or maybe she'll just check it out and decide for herself when she'd like to start!
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options
    Just keep being the good example that you are. She will eventually come around. Just stay positive and she'll see how much you've changed and how happy you are. I think that your example is the best medicine for her right now. Good Luck, Heidi:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • joanne123
    Options
    You're a lovely thoughtful daughter :flowerforyou:

I wouldn't try to do two things at once - diet and stop drinking. Why not do simple things like people here have suggested - like exercise together, cook her healthy meals and just let her be herself. If she uses the electronic log then just log the drinks no prob, after a while, when she's ready she'll cut down gradually. Just think she might have 5 great days and 2 blow outs. That's 5 great days each week more than she would have had without your support.

I'm terrible for having a few beers at the weekends!!! I just log them in the food diary as snacks :laugh: and watch those calories add up!! But it doesn't stop me eating really healthy food and doing really good exercise.

Everyone has to be ready inside themselves - but its lovely to feel supported by people you love. She'll really appreciate you :smile: :heart:
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    I have the same issue wih my sister. She has the very best of intentions. She'll join the gym, again, pay and not go, again, join weight watchers, then not go, again, feed everybody in her house Lean Cuisine for a week, then balance it out with pizza for the week end.

The single most difficult lesson I've learned in my life is that I cannot make someone do something they are not willing to do for themselves. You've probably heard the expression, "If I could do it for you, I would." That's how we feel when we see other people in trouble. But each person has to find their own path, and in their own time. Think about how many times you might have said the same things your mom is saying now??? How many Mondays came and went for you before your "Monday" became a reality.

Speaking for myself, I've been inspired through things I've seen and heard from others. But the motivation to start, just like the motivation to continue, comes from my own energy.
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    There are two basic types of motivation, intrinsic and extrinsic. Extrinsic motivation is based on forces outside of a person's will. For example, students are often motivated to get good grades because it pleases the teacher, their parents, will help them get into college, etc. All of these are extrinsically motivating factors. The problem with extrinsic motivation is that it only works if the person in question cares about the rewards and/or punishments.

Intrinsic motivation can be thought of as being internal to the person and is based on their will alone. I wear my seatbelt because I want to live a long and healthy life, not because of the fear of getting a ticket. Intrinsic motivation tends to be stronger and more long-lived.

As others have said, you can continue to be a good example, invite her to go with you and offer to help in any way that is practical. You can try to offer extrinsic motivation in the form of rewards such as your time and attention but eventually she has to make up her mind that she is going to do it for herself.