Birth Control

Options

Replies

• beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Implanon hasn't affected my weight loss at all.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    13 years on the pill and no weight issues. The Mirena IUD has caused major weight issues, but apparently that is only a problem for fewer than 5% of users. The Depo shot affects about 40% with weight gain and inability to lose.

Depo is evil. It effects bone density too.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    It always helps to research why exactly people experience the weight gain. I was on a medication for a few years (wasn't birth control, and unfortunately ended up being for a condition I never even had) that comes with a warning that it causes obesity and diabetes. That sounds pretty bad, right? Take a pill and gain so much weight that you get a serious illness? Well, my doctor explained that what actually happens is that the medication causes intense cravings for carbohydrates, people don't realize it and overeat, then gain weight. It's technically the pill doing it, but it's not the direct cause; suddenly eating a lot more is. For whatever reason, this is never publicized, just the warning. I've talked to a number of people who were also on it, and none of them had ever heard it, but all had noticed the cravings.

I guess what I'm saying is that the end result might not be enough information. People who are on birth control and gain might be affected by it, but it's not necessarily just that one thing that's doing it; it's probably a number of factors (though some people do seem to have a bad reaction to some forms, it's rarer than many are afraid of).
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    13 years on the pill and no weight issues. The Mirena IUD has caused major weight issues, but apparently that is only a problem for fewer than 5% of users. The Depo shot affects about 40% with weight gain and inability to lose.

Depo is evil. It effects bone density too.

It does even worse than that. I got tired of arguing with people about it when they go on and on and on about how great it is and how people just need to eat less, blah, blah, blah.

I had one friend on it and she was working her rear off (no pun intended) to lose weight. Tons of exercise, following Weight Watchers perfectly and could NOT lose at all. It went on for a good year and she finally got off the shot and got a copper IUD and started losing.

My best friend went into menopause at 28 years old because of the shot, plus she had bone loss and kept getting benign lumps in her breasts that doctors said were a direct result of the shot. I've also heard of some studies from nurse friends that don't get talked about much that are very scary from that shot. My own doctor refuses to even prescribe it (not that I would want it, but it came up when we were discussing changing my BC and I told her point blank that I wouldn't get the shot).

It's awful, awful, awful.

*steps down from soap box*
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    How many women gained weight with bc?? If I stick to my eating plan and exercise can I beat the birth control weigh gain?
    I tracked my calories (fitday) when I got my mirena. I'd been tracking before. I tracked. I ate the same. I was super careful. I gained 7-10 pounds in the first month. Water, I'm sure. I also had other unpleasant effects despite my doctor's assurances. It was a bit like having raging PMS all the time. I had that dang thing removed. Not a moment too soon.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I gained weight on it but it was just because I ate more. Not the pill. Still on it and down 21 pounds.
  • jules1202
    jules1202 Posts: 65
    Options
    Its amazing when you start reading about the relationship between hormones and metabolism and how your body operates. But that being said everyone still reacts different to the introduction of synthetic hormones in BC.

I gained 5 pounds on the pill but part of the gain is from mood swings that put me in that "PMS want to eat chocolate" state and some of it may have been from bloating. Every time I have to double my pill (to stop bleeding issues) I start having horrible "I want to eat junk food" cravings. I hate it!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Im a medical student (soon doctor lol so that might give me some credibility ) and COMPLETELY agree with this.

And the depo provera (the shot) is very high on progesterone so alot of ppl gain weight but luckily most of it is water weight (but if u can go for IUD or something else )
    Depo is high in PROGESTINS. Not Progesterone. :-) (Getting you in a good habit early... using the terms for the synthetics...) Mirena the IUD has progestins as well...just saying. Good luck with the rest of med school! That's a ton of work.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    How many women gained weight with bc?? If I stick to my eating plan and exercise can I beat the birth control weigh gain?
    I tracked my calories (fitday) when I got my mirena. I'd been tracking before. I tracked. I ate the same. I was super careful. I gained 7-10 pounds in the first month. I also had other unpleasant effects despite my doctor's assurances. I had that dang thing removed. Not a moment too soon.
    It's weird, Mirena is one of those things people either absolutely love or absolutely hate. I've had one for a while now, and I think it's great; never have to worry about messing it up and I haven't had a period in more than three years. But I've come across a lot of people who have horrible reactions to it. I wonder what's going on there.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I tracked my calories (fitday) when I got my mirena. I'd been tracking before. I tracked. I ate the same. I was super careful. I gained 7-10 pounds in the first month. I also had other unpleasant effects despite my doctor's assurances. I had that dang thing removed. Not a moment too soon.
    It's weird, Mirena is one of those things people either absolutely love or absolutely hate. I've had one for a while now, and I think it's great; never have to worry about messing it up and I haven't had a period in more than three years. But I've come across a lot of people who have horrible reactions to it. I wonder what's going on there.

I'm actually in the middle. The only side effect I've had is weight gain and a complete inability to lose it. But I LOVE that it cost me $25 for five years (copay), barely any period at all and I don't have to think about it. Everything but the weight thing has been great, which is why I haven't had it removed. I don't have a lot of choices at the moment.
  • Gioooo
    Gioooo Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    weight gain on BC is a myth. butttt I know its harder to gain muscle on it so ur gna have to just work a little harder ;)
    you'll be fine :-D
  • clariangel
    clariangel Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I took birth control for about 5 years. and when I started taking it, my hips and chest grew plus I gained some weight. The doc said that was due to the hormone changes. Now that i've stopped taking birth control, losing weight is a bit easier for me, yet I still have the hips and the chest. I suppose that's a good thing :)

So i think gaining weight while taking birth control is normal. But I also think you can beat it. However, it just depends on the person. Good luck!
  • rml_16
    Options
    weight gain on BC is a myth.

There are so many things I would like to say to you right now, but they will all get me either warned or banned.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    It always helps to research why exactly people experience the weight gain. I was on a medication for a few years (wasn't birth control, and unfortunately ended up being for a condition I never even had) that comes with a warning that it causes obesity and diabetes. That sounds pretty bad, right? Take a pill and gain so much weight that you get a serious illness? Well, my doctor explained that what actually happens is that the medication causes intense cravings for carbohydrates, people don't realize it and overeat, then gain weight. It's technically the pill doing it, but it's not the direct cause; suddenly eating a lot more is. For whatever reason, this is never publicized, just the warning. I've talked to a number of people who were also on it, and none of them had ever heard it, but all had noticed the cravings.

I guess what I'm saying is that the end result might not be enough information. People who are on birth control and gain might be affected by it, but it's not necessarily just that one thing that's doing it; it's probably a number of factors (though some people do seem to have a bad reaction to some forms, it's rarer than many are afraid of).
    I don't over eat carbs. I eat very slow carbs only. I was using FITDAY and tracking and logging every calorie. I gained 7-10LBS that wouldn't budge. PS: I researched. :smile:
  • AshleyRKnutson
    AshleyRKnutson Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I started my Birth Control (Nuvaring) right when I was starting this program. I honestly saw no gain...

Just make sure to work out and to drink LOTS OF WATER! Most Birth Control weight gain is caused by water retention.... So eat LESS SODIUM and drink over 8 glasses of water a day, if you can! Also, limit sugar! :)

Good luck! :):)

I agree. When I started the Nuvaring the 1st time, there was no gain. I actually lost weight bc I was working 2 jobs and out dancing most nights in the week. Drinking the water is absolutely key!
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I gained a little with BC but a LOT with my pregnancies. I guess I can suffer the few lbs I get from my BC!!
  • KristysLosing
    KristysLosing Posts: 683
    Options
    EDIT: The birth control shot, I have heard, does have high incidence of weight gain, though I'm not a doctor or researcher, so I can't say what the cause of that might be. What I said above is mainly about pills.

I gained weight on Depo. Combined with depression while I was on it. I gained about 50 lbs in a year. :sad:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Yup. I had friends who loved it. I HATED it. I have a friend who HAD one for 5 years and loved it. Got it replaced and started getting migraines, gained weight, and lost her sex drive. She now HATES it. Dunno.
  • sdavis448
    sdavis448 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I hate birth control.. hate it! But I'm only 22, and not ready to say no more babies yet, so it's neccesary.

Depo I took in highschool, and gained 30 lbs n 3 months
    Mirena after my son was born- 40 lbs on in about 2-3 months

I'm currently on a slightly lower hormone pill..I've only been on it 2 weeks, but I'm not a hormonal ***** like other birth controls made me, so I'm hoping its not going to affect me weight wise either.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I hate birth control.. hate it! But I'm only 22, and not ready to say no more babies yet, so it's neccesary.

Depo I took in highschool, and gained 30 lbs n 3 months
    Mirena after my son was born- 40 lbs on in about 2-3 months

I'm currently on a slightly lower hormone pill..I've only been on it 2 weeks, but I'm not a hormonal ***** like other birth controls made me, so I'm hoping its not going to affect me weight wise either.
    wow. That's a lot of hormone weight. I'm surprised you've stuck with it. I would have given up and gotten a copper IUD.