How long should running shoes last?

Options
JodaNord
JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
So I started running in september, and by November was running 3 miles 3-4 times a week, with a longer run on the weekend, progressing til 12 miles a month ago. Sidelined due to weak muscles causing pain. I bought brand new saucony progrid shoes, went to the running room, was fitted and bought what was recommended in September when i started running. how long should i run in these shoes? And whats the rule of thumb for when to replace running shoes? i only use them for running...

Replies

• ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Good job getting fitted.

It will vary based on your running surface, shoe composition, and your weight. A good rule of thumb is 300-400 miles. Pay attention to the bottom and sides. When the heels start to break down and your tread gets pretty flat, time to replace. I usually buy 2 of the same shoe and switch off. I find it extends their life.
  • JodaNord
    Options
    Good job getting fitted.

It will vary based on your running surface, shoe composition, and your weight. A good rule of thumb is 300-400 miles. Pay attention to the bottom and sides. When the heels start to break down and your tread gets pretty flat, time to replace. I usually buy 2 of the same shoe and switch off. I find it extends their life.

I figured somewhere between 300-500 miles... I just tallied what i have run, and i have run over 300! Wow, that happens fast!

Its been on the treadmill and the road and trails. I guess i really am due for a new pair, i just couldn't believe it happened so fast!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I always have two pair in rotation and I replace them at around 500 miles.
    When the heels start to break down...

If the heels are wearing, you should really take a look at your running form. The heels of my shoes show almost no wear at all. A good mid-foot strike should barely touch the heel of the shoe.

Also, don't do anything except run in your running shoes. Don't wear them to the store, don't play cricket in the. Just run in them.
  • ATLMel
    Options
    If they still look in good condition and you aren't noticing any slight pains, keep on wearing them. Or, just retire them to short runs/speed workouts.

And yeah, when I first began tracking my miles closely 500 miles seemed ages off. A few months later and dang...

Oh, a running nerd tip: For every 100 mi I get on my shoes I put a mark somewhere on them. Then I tend to pay a little more attention to the mileage.
  • ATLMel
    Options
    I always have two pair in rotation and I replace them at around 500 miles.
    When the heels start to break down...

If the heels are wearing, you should really take a look at your running form. The heels of my shoes show almost no wear at all. A good mid-foot strike should barely touch the heel of the shoe.

Also, don't do anything except run in your running shoes. Don't wear them to the store, don't play cricket in the. Just run in them.

I don't mean the underneath. I mean where the upper connects to the bottom. The adhesive in that area will show wear.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

Oh, a running nerd tip: For every 100 mi I get on my shoes I put a mark somewhere on them. Then I tend to pay a little more attention to the mileage.

I log my runs on www.runningahead.com and it has an equipment component that logs the miles for each shoe for you. :)
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    I don't mean the underneath. I mean where the upper connects to the bottom. The adhesive in that area will show wear.

Ahh, okay. I run in Mizuno's and I've never seen that happen. Cheers.
  • JodaNord
    Options
    The shoes are not showing wear anywhere, but since this pain that started in my leg, i have gone to physio and its weak muscles that can't compensate anymore, so with strengthening i should get back to running, and he suggested it may be that i need new shoes already too. i just wanted some other opinions before i go spend that kind of money again when it seemed so soon... :)
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    Mine last about 3-4 months (or 500 miles). Having 2 pair that I rotate has extended their life. I run in Mizunos and love them. I used to run in Asics and Saucony and felt like I replaced them more often. Everyone is different.

Love your dog pic -- Is that a Boston? I have one -- he's such a neat dog!
  • JodaNord
    Options
    Mine last about 3-4 months (or 500 miles). Having 2 pair that I rotate has extended their life. I run in Mizunos and love them. I used to run in Asics and Saucony and felt like I replaced them more often. Everyone is different.

Love your dog pic -- Is that a Boston? I have one -- he's such a neat dog!

hes actually a french Bulldog x Boston

His name is Moto, and he runs with me and loves it!
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    That's awesome -- he's adorable. Good luck with the running. I've been running for a while -- I am certainly no expert by any stretch - but if you have any questions, I could share what I know.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I write the date of my first run in a pair of shoes on the heel in sharpee and I will replace the shoes in 3-4 months because that's usually 300-400 miles. If I have 2 pairs of shoes in rotation, I will replace both pairs in 5-6 months. I've had a lot of issues running on bad shoes in the past, so I decided to do this on the advice of a coach.
  • kuregisto
    kuregisto Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I log my runs on www.runningahead.com and it has an equipment component that logs the miles for each shoe for you. :)
    Great concept, and I love it. dailymile.com has a similar feature. Even factoring in visible wear and tear, it's good for my ego to see just how many miles I've put on these puppies :)
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I get between 250-350 miles. I know when I'm close to the limit because I feel it in my calfs the next morning - very sore like I started lifting the day before.

I track mileage and everything else with sport tracks
  • JodaNord
    Options
    Its funny people say they can feel it when their shoes need replacing, because i would not have said mine felt any different from when i started running in them. But i suppose i can get a new pair and see if they feel better/different in some way as well.

I hope new shoes will help these muscles get strong enough to get back to my regular running schedule, i miss my runs!
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above wearing traditional shoes.

I started running last year with 5 finger shoes, and I can tell you that i have over 1500 miles on them and they are still going strong. There is very little to wear out. I want to see if I can get 2000 miles out of them.
  • JodaNord
    Options
    want to go to the five finger or other barefoot/minimalist shoes, but my physiotherapist says i should make sure everything works like its supposed to again first before i go trying to improve/change my stride/gait.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    300-400 miles.
  • Emilycip
    Options
    I started running 6 months ago with some $50 nikes. After 2 months I had hip bursitis that sidelined me. I went out and bought nike air max and rested a week or so, along with hip strengthening exercises and resumed. I run every day now, and no pain. I recently grabbed my old nikes I use for mowing the lawn by mistake for an early run, by 1 mile in I knew something was wrong. I was so relieved when I realized my mistake! One of my legs is shorter than the other, and for me, a really supportive, cushioned shoe seems to work best. Best of luck!
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you're still comfortable in them with no aches and pains, don't bother replacing yet. I used to go with the rule of thumb of 300 to 400 miles but after reading around realised this is from shoe manufacturers who want to sell more shoes. I have 2 pairs which are both at 700 miles and plan to carry on using them as I'm still not getting problems. I'm getting close to going through to the foam on them so will replace them then (properly worn out!) I'm quite light and not particularly heavy footed, so I guess that helps, but I do over pronate and buy motion control shoes. If you've no problems, don't replace just because of a number!