How do I get past the first 5ib?!!!!!!! WTH?!

Options
Alright.. this is about to make me crazy. E.V.E.R.Y time I try to lose weight, this time is no different. I am really confused why my body loses 5 pounds and then... STOPS?! *sigh* I have been eating consistently the same calories.. I even upped my calories of 1440 to 1850, it helped for a little bit 1-2 pounds and then went up a pound and now I am stuck again. I have been trying to lose weight for 2 months now. I do not want to give up bc giving up is the ultimate failure. But I mean I know losing weight is not easy.. I know that.. but I am so confused as to what I am not doing right... or... I mean we basically have no control over how our bodies work I know that.. but seriously.. Has anyone else had this problem before? That you lose up to a certain point (5 pounds) and then your body just stops????

Replies

• moepwr
    moepwr Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Do you do any exercise? That may kick start your metabolism. Also you can gradually cut down your calories instead of doing it all at once? Ease into it. Every week cut out another 100 or 200 cals until you are down to the 1200? Good luck!
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    You lose some excess fluids right off the bat. That's why "fad" diets are so popular, they hook people by that initial 5-10 lbs that EVERYONE will lose without effort, and then like you they hit this wall where the weight stops moving.

Your body very much knows what's going on and it will behave accordingly. You've blown many diets in the past, always went short term. So when you reduce food intake and/or change what you're eating, your body isn't going to instantly jump on board and drop all the fat. It knows from past experience that this diet is just a "phase" you're going through and that there's no reason to dump the fat stores. That's why THIS IS A LIFESTYLE CHANGE. You need to be able to support yourself and live this way for a whole lot longer than bikini season. That's also why those who lose weight gain it back 10x faster when they stop.

If you want real results, you need to ditch the scale, get a tape measure and find eating/exercise habits that you can stick with. After several months I promise your body will begin to think you're serious and start losing weight. Everyone is different though. Check out the thread of the girl who gained 2 lbs over the course of like 90 days but her before and after are radically different!!! If you looked like Megan Fox but weighed 200 lbs on the scale would you care? I think every girl on here would take that deal. It's just a number, nothing more.
  • sonia_am
    sonia_am Posts: 1
    Options
    I am having the same problem! Exercising, eating within calories, etc! Stuck! Don't give up, though! It'll happen!
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I think the first 5lb come off pretty quickly because most of it is water weight. If you follow MFP's suggested meal plan (with maybe a few minor tweaks for personalization), you should slowly but surely lose weight.

BTW: I've noticed quite a few people referring to pounds as "ib". Not sure where this came from, but a pound is represented by LB. The "lb" comes from the Latin for libra, which means pound. (Actually from libra pondo which was shortened to just libra.)
  • JaySpice
    JaySpice Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I'm a "friend" of yours and if I'm not mistaken you just posted today that you haven't been doing well this past week. I mean if you keep starting out good then mess up why do you expect to lose? It has to be consistent.
  • Teksavvy
    Teksavvy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if exercise is part of your regime (as moepwr mentioned) since your diary is not visible.
    I notice a dog is in your profile pic. Walking is an excellent way to get some aerobic activity in your day.
  • Clarimusic00
    Clarimusic00 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You may also need to reevaluate what you are eating. Calories may be calories but where you get them from is important. I've recently been doing research on foods and what positive affects certain foods may have on you, your metabolism and losing weight. I've just been reading a lot of trusted sources on nutrition. Also Dr. Oz had a great show on yesterday about foods and drinks that boost your metabolism (I'm growing to really like his show). I have a very slow metabolism naturally and I have to work hard to keep it going. Knowledge is power!!
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Bump