Vitamin C

Options
theshow4jsu
theshow4jsu Posts: 380 Member
Wondering if I should supplement more with Vitamin C. I take one vitamin C a day along with a mature multi vitamin. I try, but usually fail at getting all my servings of fruits and vegetables. Was wondering if should add another vitamin c dose to my daily routine to help, or if it would be a waste. Any opinions?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your money taking excess vitamin C. Teke the multivitamin, which should cover you if your diet is lacking. Any extra vitamin C you ingest will just be flushed out of your body via urine. So, take the multi and stop pissing your money away (literally) on vitamin C supplements!
  • gshook1951
    gshook1951 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    5 oz chicken
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    gshook1951 wrote: »
    5 oz chicken

Care to explain how that is relevant? This is your first post, 12 minutes after joining, so maybe you posted a reply to the wrong thread? Or . .
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Also, keep chipping away at getting your fruit and veggie intake higher, if and as you can manage. A vitamin supplement is at best a band-aid; getting more nutrients from food is typically going to have more benefits. Changing routine eating habits takes time and practice, but it's a thing we can keep working on, and making improvements.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    If you go to your weekly nutrient page it’ll tell you how you’re doing with your C intake.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    If you go to your weekly nutrient page it’ll tell you how you’re doing with your C intake.

. . . if the food database entries a person selects are accurate with respect to Vitamin C content . . . which not all are.

If MFP says you're getting those minimums from food, that's probably true. If MFP says you're not getting enough, that may not be true. In that case, you can spot-check a couple of typical eating days against a more comprehensive source, such as:

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/

Or, do a web search for "foods high in Vitamin C" and see whether you're routinely eating a sufficient amount of those.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,243 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread about ascorbic acid that was dormant for almost a dozen years and brought back by a new poster that wrote something very short and not relevant at all to nutrients.