Third Day of Atkins

I'm on my third day of Atkins and all I've been eating is heavy cream, butter, chicken, bacon, eggs, and some beef. My weight has barely shifted. How many carbs are you supposed to limit your intake to? I'm 131 lbs. how much do I expect to lose in a week or two

Replies

• HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    How many calories are you eating? What is your TDEE?
  • I eat about 2,000 calories and my TDEE is 1947
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    I eat about 2,000 calories and my TDEE is 1947

Even though it's low carb, you still have to eat at a calorie deficit.
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    I eat low carb and I don't eat at a calorie deficit everyday and I typically lose 2-3 pounds a week. I only gain if I eat carbs which I did over the weekend and gained 4 pounds back.....I have to remember just because I'm on vacation doesn't mean my eating needs to be too. I ate well below my calorie goal over the weekend and got a lot of exercise in and still gained 4 pounds so calories are not my enemy.....carbs are lol. I think it is different for everyone though because as long as I stay below 100 grams of carbs a day with around 25 grams of fiber (75 net carbs) I lose even if I eat over 2000 calories a day but if I eat around 1200 calories a day with a higher precentage of carbs, I gain. All of my carbs come from vegetables and berries except over the weekend and I ate breads, etc.

Also, are you drinking enough water? the first 3 days of Atkins you should be losing a ton of water weight. If you're not drinking enough water then you're body is going to hold in that water instead of get rid of it, so be sure to increase your water intake.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member

What these folks have said. It doesn't matter if you eat nothing but carbs, all day. If you ate 1500 calories of pure carbs you would lose more than you are losing now.

Ditch the atkins, eat balanced, good ****, and just cut about 500 calories off your total.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member

This! I followed the Atkins plan last year and had a similar diet to the one who have described. I lost weight pretty quickly, but you have to make sure to not go over your calories just like any other way of eating. Good luck!
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member

What these folks have said. It doesn't matter if you eat nothing but carbs, all day. If you ate 1500 calories of pure carbs you would lose more than you are losing now.

Ditch the atkins, eat balanced, good ****, and just cut about 500 calories off your total.

I gain if I eat carbs even if I stay under my calorie goals....some people are just different. I lose as long as I don't eat over 100 grams of carbs a day on a 2000 calorie diet....anymore than 100 grams of carbs and I gain like crazy. I'm not following Atkins but I do eat low carb. I eat some fruits but no breads, pasta or rice at all. I eat a lot of veggies, eggs, meat and cheese.
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    I eat low carb and I don't eat at a calorie deficit everyday and I typically lose 2-3 pounds a week. I only gain if I eat carbs which I did over the weekend and gained 4 pounds back.....I have to remember just because I'm on vacation doesn't mean my eating needs to be too. I ate well below my calorie goal over the weekend and got a lot of exercise in and still gained 4 pounds so calories are not my enemy.....carbs are lol. I think it is different for everyone though because as long as I stay below 100 grams of carbs a day with around 25 grams of fiber (75 net carbs) I lose even if I eat over 2000 calories a day but if I eat around 1200 calories a day with a higher precentage of carbs, I gain. All of my carbs come from vegetables and berries except over the weekend and I ate breads, etc.

Also, are you drinking enough water? the first 3 days of Atkins you should be losing a ton of water weight. If you're not drinking enough water then you're body is going to hold in that water instead of get rid of it, so be sure to increase your water intake.

You didn't gain 4 pounds of fat over a weekend. You gained water because you switched your diet . Anytime you switch your diet, ths will happen. You also can't say something doesnt work after only trying it or a few days. You have to give it at least 2 weeks.

I also gaurentee that most/some of your days is a deficit. Low carbs may give you a big loss in the beginning (mainly water), but it's truly the deficit that is shedding the fat.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    I'm on my third day of Atkins and all I've been eating is heavy cream, butter, chicken, bacon, eggs, and some beef. My weight has barely shifted. How many carbs are you supposed to limit your intake to? I'm 131 lbs. how much do I expect to lose in a week or two

I don't see that you're eating any veggies! Are you eating good carbs at all? Did you read the book? In induction, for the first 2 weeks, you need to be getting 12-15 of your 20 net carbs a day from salads and veggies. Don't go overboard on the meat! And don't eat too many non-veggie carbs, like those found in cheese, artificial sweeteners, salad dressings! Make sure you're drinking enough water--at LEAST 64 oz a day!
    Please read the book, and start over when you're done!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,247 Member

If I remember correctly on what my sister said about the Atkins diet when she was on it, you do not lose anything during the first week or two. You have to stick rigidly to the Atkins regime and if you deviate off it, even by a little, you are back to square one and must restart all over again.

Therefore, do not expect to lose anything for the first two weeks, thereafter the weight should begin to shift. However, you MUST stick to the foods that are required, do not think "one little cheat day" will not do you harm, because with this particular way of losing weight, it will scupper all your attempts, as that "one little cheat day" will result in starting the whole thing again.
  • tmm01
    tmm01 Posts: 137
    Hope you get on better with it than I did. I did this diet about 3 years ago, read the book, followed the menu suggestions. Lost 2 stone in a month!!! Brilliant.... However, I had to come off of it I couldn't stand (sorry for those who are eating!) the flatulence, the bad breath, the constipation (although I still get a bit of that on this low cal diet). I felt really ill and bloated all the time. It was awful. I really missed the fruit and veg. When I came off, I ended up putting all the weight back on plus more.

Hope it works out for you, but please be careful. xx
  • DB_1106
    DB_1106 Posts: 154 Member

If I remember correctly on what my sister said about the Atkins diet when she was on it, you do not lose anything during the first week or two. You have to stick rigidly to the Atkins regime and if you deviate off it, even by a little, you are back to square one and must restart all over again.

Therefore, do not expect to lose anything for the first two weeks, thereafter the weight should begin to shift. However, you MUST stick to the foods that are required, do not think "one little cheat day" will not do you harm, because with this particular way of losing weight, it will scupper all your attempts, as that "one little cheat day" will result in starting the whole thing again.

OP, please do not listen to anything in this post. I am not trying to be rude, but everything written above is absolutely false.
  • DB_1106
    DB_1106 Posts: 154 Member
    If you are following Atkins, then I recommend you read up on the Induction phase.

Many people have the thought that you can eat whatever you want on Atkins. This is a false assumption. No matter what diet you do, the science all comes down to calories in / calories out....to a certain degree. Now a low carb diet is going to make you feel fuller longer due to eating high fat and protein, which in turn, will make you not eat as much. It all has to do with your insulin and blood sugar, but that is for another topic.

You need to drink alot of water, and keep your carbs below 20 grams a day to reach ketosis for most people. Once in ketosis, your body will switch from burning glucose for energy to burning ketone bodies for energy, which is basically broken down fat.

It is a lifestyle change.

Once you body switches over to ketosis, you can expect to lose beween 5-15 pounds the first 2 weeks, depending how heavy you are with most of it being water weight.

I started a low carb diet exactly a week ago after much research and study on the subject and I have lost 10 pounds my 1st week. Most of that was within the first 4 days. You will feel sluggish the first couple of days and tired, but once your body switches to burning fat for energy, you energy levels will go through the roof.

Stick with it and good luck. Add me if you want encouragement.