running with an iPhone

Options
cannonsky
cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
So I want to start running outside... and my husband and I both decided I should probably have my phone on me... but I'm not sure where it's gonna go because carrying it in my hand would get annoying. So I was wondering if anyone has an iPhone armband and if they find that its bulky or anything like that... or if there are any other suggestions. Thanks!

Replies

• ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    ive seen lots of people with those arm band things and wonder how they feel myself.

i just tuck mine in the sports bra and away i go!
  • nbkpjud
    nbkpjud Posts: 33 Member
    Options
  • k9runner1963
    k9runner1963 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have a New Balance arm band for my iPhone. Really like it especially if I don't have pockets. Most running stores, sporting good stores will have several to choose from. I know I have seen New Balance and Nike. Try a search online for iPhone arm band

Good Luck, happy trails!
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I can't stand armbands...I have a tunebelt. It's simple, just a neoprene belt with a clear front. It also has a small key pocket on the back side.
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I use this: http://www.amazon.com/Amphibx-Waterproof-Sweatproof-Armband-Music-Enabled/dp/B004BU8F6G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335892636&sr=8-1

I love it, haven't found that it gets in my way at all! Bonus, it's totally waterproof so I use it when I'm swimming laps too.
  • Jujubebee
    Jujubebee Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm in love with my SpiBelt (Small Personal Item belt). It's super lightweight, comfortable, and doesn't bounce when I run. I'll even forget I'm wearing it. Also, no arm band tan lines!
  • kelseystew
    kelseystew Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Just want to suggest the app Nike+ for your iphone!!! I use it and love love love it!!! Tracks you distance, pace, time, calories burnt, route, elvation, etc etc etc! You can track all of your runs and watch yourself get faster, or go further, great motivation! As for where to put your iphone I am no help as it is constantly in my way and I am at the point where I am debating getting either an arm bank for just a garmin forerunner running gps watch....:happy:
  • erinscribbles
    erinscribbles Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a New Balance armband as well. It fits just fine and snug. I am 234lbs at 5'7" with an arm measurement of 16 inches. When I first started wearing it, I did notice that I was getting a little tiny sore on my arm. I'm not exactly sure what it was on the armband that was causing it. I think it might have been something to do with the fact that when I go to tighten it, a tiny bit of arm fat gets sucked up into the strap. I'm usually pretty good about pulling the strap off my arm in that area to get the arm fat out, but it may have gotten itself back up in there or I had forgotten. I haven't gotten the sore in a little while now. If you don't have fat arms like mine, it should be fine.

The other thing about the armband is that the clear screen to view your phone gets this film built up in the interior. I haven't been able to figure out how to clean that off. Trying to view your screen while working out is exceptionally hard because of this. But then again, you're working out, so why are you looking at your screen. If you're going to be listening to music, I would suggest making up a playlist so you don't need to try to skip through songs all the time. Touch functions still work perfectly.

I don't find it bulky, but I do find that my arm is more comfortable bent at a 90 degree angle while wearing it. I do more walking than jogging, but this is completely acceptable stance for both. I also have mapmyfittness which allows me to set either a time limit or a distance limit for it to tell me how I'm doing. Every mile I go, mapmyfittness chimes in with the amount of time I have been walking, how far I've gone, minutes per mile, and mph speed. Again, no need to look at my screen.
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I didn't like the armband because I had to tighten it up pretty tight to keep the iphone from bouncing real bad... and that made me feel like I was cutting off circulation.
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I'm in love with my SpiBelt (Small Personal Item belt). It's super lightweight, comfortable, and doesn't bounce when I run. I'll even forget I'm wearing it. Also, no arm band tan lines!

I found their website shortly after posting this thread.. I think I'm leaning in this direction.
  • phoenix8633
    phoenix8633 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I got an armband off ebay it's quite good actually. Was quite cheap as well