PCOS & I feel like crying! (Ladies only please)

Options
I'm really struggling with my period. I have been on it for almost 45 days! I have a doctors appointment coming up. But I'm really worried about what they will say. I'm only 29, but I've had problems with my period since I started at age 9. I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2007, but nothing seems to help. I've taken the Metformin and still currently taking it. My doctor has tried various birth controls, but nothing is helping. Has anyone else had the same problems? I don't have any children, but I want them more than anything. I don't know what else to do. I have cried and stressed over this. Any advice or similar stories?

Replies

• newCourtney
    newCourtney Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I've had a few times where I bled for many weeks before I finally went to the doctor. She gave me a graduated hormone pack that stopped the bleeding. She said my body needed to "reset" itself. It was no biggie and the meds fixed it right up. I hope it's nothing serious for you!
  • Stylistntenn
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I don't know anything about this area, but I surely hope you aren't getting anemic from having your period that long! :( I'm so sorry you are going through this.

Please, be your own advocate. Make sure the doctors listen to you and DO SOMETHING. I don't trust doctors these days. Tell them what you need to and make sure you are involved in your treatment. That's just my two cents. A lot of times doctors just see you as another chart and they're just trying to get on to the next patient. Not all are like this but a lot are. Stand up for yourself and make them find out what's wrong and what your options are. Best of luck!!
  • soontobesexyone
    Options
    I am going threw the same thing. PCOS is a real bugger!!! Some months are better than others, and sometimes the meds helps, but not always. Sorry for that! Recently my doctor suggested an IUD, and seems to be helping, but after only 4 months I can't say 100% yes it is - but for now it is. Time will only tell. But of coarse like you I want kids, so it really isn't a long term fix. It is a temporary fix, until I can drop the weight I need to so I can start the process to try and get pregnant.

I know this doesn't really answer your question, but maybe it is a bit of moral support to know that your not the only person out there dealing with this problem.

Something else that is really easy to do is to feel sorry for yourself and allow this to drain you. It is really easy to fall into that trap of 'poor me' and 'poor me' well leads to poor eating, and why bother and who cares, and poor thinking. The fact remains that we CAN have kids if we really want them, we just have a few more challenges to over come then some other ladies. I just think that it will make us better mothers in the future! Just think about the life skills we are going to be able to pass along to our children that other moms can't!
  • Absidey
    Absidey Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've also got PCOS, though it worked in the opposite way. When I went off birth control to try to get pregnant in Nov 2007, I didn't have another period until my doctor gave me a hormone pill in Jan 2009. Following the hormone, it worked like newCourtney said: a reset. I got pregnant right away (Katie was born in Oct 2009) and my cycle seems to be mostly normal now. You CAN get pregnant with PCOS, and losing weight/getting healthy HELPS reduce what it does to your body. Much better to have something you & your doctor can do something about than something completely beyond your control.
  • starrygirl82
    starrygirl82 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm sure my body does need a "reset". I'm just not sure if its going to be a permanent fix. I've had this happen several times before. One time it was so bad that I became severely anemic and had to have a blood transfusion. (3 units of blood) I definitely am becoming depressed. The weight loss has become more difficult. I will lose a few pounds and gain twice that back. Don't really know what else to do. Thank you all for your moral support. It does help to know that I'm not alone.
  • mmorgan1955
    Options
    I can understand how you feel. I use to have problems with excessive bleeding plus going through my cycle every three weeks. I too was afraid to talk to the doctor about it. Found out I have endomyosis, thickening and swelling of the uterus. The doctor started me on hormones and it helped. I only had to take them a few months and problem got better. For me it didn't go away until I went through menopause. But I did get relief from the anxiety and that made a big difference to me. Go to your doctor and tell them everything. It won't get better until you do.
  • soontobesexyone
    Options
    You DEFINITELY need to see some about the depression!!!!! do not let that slide. It isn't just a mood or just sadness, but it can be something else as well. My GF who also has PCOS was also dealing with the depression issues too. come to find out it wasn't just depression as she thought it was - it was bipolar. About 40% of women with PCOS also have bipolar. And they CANNOT be treated separately, they must be treated together for success. Needless to say, she had been on the correct meds for PCOS but once she was on the correct meds for the bipolar things went much better for her. Not only did the weight drop, but the PCOS eased up, but she currently pregnant and due in October with her first baby.

Now I am not saying you have bipolar or even clinical depression, I'm no doctor, clearly....that is something only a professional can say. But you should talk to your doctor about it.
  • abied82
    abied82 Posts: 8
    Options
    Hey girl i can't relate to u or tell u that i know what ur going thru but i will pray for you and prayer is the solution on everything
  • starrygirl82
    starrygirl82 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice. I will definitely bring these things up when I'm talking to him. Sometimes I wonder if I've not been completely diagnosed. Like its more than only PCOS that's causing so many problems. Thanks yall for listening and giving encouragement. @abied82 I appreciate the prayers. It means so much.
  • nicoletherese14
    Options
    Hey chick, it's not the same situation but I have Endo and feel like that makes me able to relate in a way, horrific periods and other worries. Among other things it led to me becoming quite depressed and just exhausted with it all, so I know struggling with these things can be difficult and would really advise you to see someone about it! It can be hard as well as so many people don't consider so-called "women's problems" as serious issue, which it can be, both physically and mentally. Good luck with your journey, hang in there, there's a light at the end of the tunnel! xxx