any mothers out there with advice?

Options
So I have two boys one is going to be 8 months soon and the other is going to be 4 soon....My 8 month old wakes up anywhere from 4-5:30am and then my oldest wakes up at around 7...Logan my 8month old takes a nap at around 11-2 (good nap) but at the same time Hudson my oldest wont take naps anymore and doesnt seem to really need them either...By 7 theyre both in bed, but im usually sooo wiped out because its already been about a 15hour day that I dont feel like exercising and just want to go to bed... or just relax and have some quiet time for myself....do any mom's have advice into where i should squeeze some exercise time in? Because I just dont know anymore :ohwell:

230130.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Stick Logan in a boucy seat and get a fun workout video on...and maybe Hudson will do it with you. There are even workout videos geared towards kids...grab on of those. My 5 year old girl loves to do yoga and kickboxing with me. We also do a ballet workout because she loves ballet and it gets my toned.
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Hi There
    I go on my treadmill when my little guy goes for a nap, my daughter will usually just watch a movie or play. Now that it is summer and hte older kids are home i an workout anytime as they an watch their little brother and sister for me if they are home.

HTH
  • musicmom04
    musicmom04 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    i have 2 boys too (ages 5 and 3). i know how tough it is to get time to excercise during the day. when the weather is nice, i stick them in the double stroller and walk. i actually just came back from a 3 mile walk and burned 570 calories! the carriage really makes a difference in burned calories. other than that, they are old enough that i can let them play together in one of their rooms while i do a workout video. when they were smaller, i used to wait till they went to bed to workout, but that didn't always happen. hope this helps a little bit, just know there are other moms out there who know where you're coming from.

good luck
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    I've tried doing the vids with my older son ...he'll do it for about 5 mins and then i think he does it on purpose because he laughs at me after...but he sits right in front of me until i trip over my own feet *Yep i am a clutz and my 3 yr old has figured that out LOL*
  • hasiangirl
    Options
    i have 2 boys too (ages 5 and 3). i know how tough it is to get time to excercise during the day. when the weather is nice, i stick them in the double stroller and walk. i actually just came back from a 3 mile walk and burned 570 calories! the carriage really makes a difference in burned calories. other than that, they are old enough that i can let them play together in one of their rooms while i do a workout video. when they were smaller, i used to wait till they went to bed to workout, but that didn't always happen. hope this helps a little bit, just know there are other moms out there who know where you're coming from.

good luck
    I was actually thinking of investing in a double stroller ....maybe i'll do that because the weather is finally coming round...:)

and thank u very much all for the advice :)
  • Dreaj79
    Dreaj79 Posts: 212
    Options
    Now I don't have any kids, but I was wondering if you have any reasonably priced gyms in your area. If you do, a lot of them have a "daycare" system set up for just the kind of situation you are talking about. Once I was watching my sister in law's girls and I took them to the gym with me. They had a great time with the other kids!
  • musicmom04
    musicmom04 Posts: 670 Member
    Options

good luck
    I was actually thinking of investing in a double stroller ....maybe i'll do that because the weather is finally coming round...:)

and thank u very much all for the advice :)

mine came from a consignment shop. it was in new condition and was cheap!
  • nhoffman08
    nhoffman08 Posts: 28
    Options
    I really feel your pain!!!

I do daycare at home and watch 4 kids plus my youngest daughter(20 mos old) and I have 3 additional kids of my own(12, 8, and 5). My youngest gets up at 6 am with me, sometimes 5:30 am. My first daycare child arrives at 6:30am. The last ones leave between 5:30 and 6:00pm. The kids nap from 11 am - 2pm as well. During this nap time I work on my online college courses and sometimes get 20 min of a workout video in. My older kids are usually in school, but since it's summer, this is a time where they watch a movie and have quiet activites as the others are napping. Dinner is between 6-6:30pm and bedtime is 8pm. I make a point to either go to the gym after dinner and leave hubby with the kids or after 8pm when my youngest is down for bed. If I don't go to the gym, I go running after 8pm with my older kids (they ride their bikes next to me) or we go on a family bike ride after dinner.

Yes, my days are long and sometimes I am so tired I can barely see straight, but, this is a choice I made to be healthy and train for a 1/2 marathon. I just make myself do it and I feel so much better and more accomplished when I'm done. It actually gives me more energy than if I didn't do it. It's hard when you're tired and believe me, I feel like just vegging on the couch too.

You'll find you have more energy if you are consistent. You don't have to go to the gym, you can involve your kids too. You can always throw in a "Wiggles Dance Party" video, or something like it, and do silly dances with the kids. You would be surprised how many calories that can burn!!! Then, you don't have to "Squeeze" that workout in!
  • hasiangirl
    Options
    I really feel your pain!!!

I do daycare at home and watch 4 kids plus my youngest daughter(20 mos old) and I have 3 additional kids of my own(12, 8, and 5). My youngest gets up at 6 am with me, sometimes 5:30 am. My first daycare child arrives at 6:30am. The last ones leave between 5:30 and 6:00pm. The kids nap from 11 am - 2pm as well. During this nap time I work on my online college courses and sometimes get 20 min of a workout video in. My older kids are usually in school, but since it's summer, this is a time where they watch a movie and have quiet activites as the others are napping. Dinner is between 6-6:30pm and bedtime is 8pm. I make a point to either go to the gym after dinner and leave hubby with the kids or after 8pm when my youngest is down for bed. If I don't go to the gym, I go running after 8pm with my older kids (they ride their bikes next to me) or we go on a family bike ride after dinner.

Yes, my days are long and sometimes I am so tired I can barely see straight, but, this is a choice I made to be healthy and train for a 1/2 marathon. I just make myself do it and I feel so much better and more accomplished when I'm done. It actually gives me more energy than if I didn't do it. It's hard when you're tired and believe me, I feel like just vegging on the couch too.

You'll find you have more energy if you are consistent. You don't have to go to the gym, you can involve your kids too. You can always throw in a "Wiggles Dance Party" video, or something like it, and do silly dances with the kids. You would be surprised how many calories that can burn!!! Then, you don't have to "Squeeze" that workout in!

holy cow!!:noway: 4 kids?!...I have trouble with 2 congrats tho on training for the 1/2 marathon and getting ur exercises in along with the college courses online...That is very impressive ...:) and yea it does actually give u more energy if u eat right and work out right ive noticed that...and I would do the wiggles but I just cant watch them anymore...my son went on a one yr kick of them ....and it was nothing but the wiggls constantly i finally just got rid of the dvds :laugh: But congrats on all that you're doing! that is truely amazing
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    When mine were that I age I walked 3 miles with them in a double jogger and then in the evenings as soon as they went to be I went out and walked three more. I grew to love that quiet time in the evenings walking ALONE!
  • stewartmn
    stewartmn Posts: 15
    Options
    A stroller is a great idea. I find it to be very relaxing for me and my 4 year old son. I can walk and kind of zone out and my son brings a big dinosaur book to look through. That way it's fun for both of us. I have tried doing workout videos, yoga or the elliptical runner during the day when I'm home with him, but he inevitably needs something as soon as I get started. Then I find I need to go for a walk to relax anyway! :smile: Good luck finding something that works for you and your children!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    As a mom of kids that are now young adults this is what I did when mine were young. I'd exercise early in the morning. Feed the baby then like someone else said put him in a bouncy seat or let him lay on the floor (of course not under your feet) and do a video. Then by the time your oldest is up you have that out of the way. A walk later in the day is nice then and will burn more calories and if the kids get use to it they might enjoy it too.

Your other option is to exercise while the baby sleeps. At almost 4 you can tell your older boy that this is mommy's exercise time. He can choose what he wants to play with or if you have two tvs or a computer to use maybe he could watch a dvd.

My girls were both early risers but I did put them to bed early. I really liked having time at night to be with my DH.

And know that what works today may not work tomorrow. Your schedule will probably keep changing as your kids change and grow. Enjoy all of it! They grow up faster than you can imagine! Mine are 19 & 22 and I don't know where the time went.
  • nhoffman08
    nhoffman08 Posts: 28
    Options
    Thanks, but you can do it too!!! If they don't like the Wiggles, then what about CD's like Kid's Bop. I know it sounds funny, but it works! It also gets them doing something physical and involves them in a fun way! Family bike rides are great too. We go and then stop at McDonald's and get an ice cream cone. I usually share with my youngest or the other kids. A cone from McDonalds is only 150 calories and the kids LOVE to go. It's a great summer treat and you still get some exercise in.
  • ninaellis
    ninaellis Posts: 60
    Options
    I was going to suggest you get a double stroller!! But see you've thought of that already!
    I have 3 of my own children & I care for 3 under 4's through the week.

I get my main excercise from walking with the stroller. Hills are good! My arms have toned up as well as my legs & trust me it really gets the heart pumping!! I do 2 or 3 walks to & from school a day & usually do a couple of longer walks a week!

I know how difficult it can be! I remember when my 3 were younger!!

Or perhaps try Yoga in the evenings. More stretching that excercise but good for unwinding & relaxation & also Muscle tone.

I always have a really good deep sleep after Yoga & Also good first thing in the morning before you start your day!! xxx
  • StacieLutes
    Options
    I have stared inviting my girls to exercise with me!! They have soooooo much energy and I'm teaching them a lifestyle that I wish I would have known all of my life! I'm with you exercese at night:laugh: I'm POOPED!! Hope this helps:flowerforyou:
  • faithjobes
    faithjobes Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Do you have a YMCA nearby? Our YMCA gives us a "scholarship" so it is affordable for our one income (low income) family. They have free (or really cheap) childcare. They will watch your kids while you workout, take a class or swim! for up to two hours each child! If you don't have a gym with childcare, try taking the kids for a walk. Baby in stroller or snuggly and older child walking or in stroller (if baby in snuggly). I make my 5 yr old walk for miles with me to the pool or to a park or playground. He needs to use his energy constructively and I need to lose weight!
  • hasiangirl
    Options
    Do you have a YMCA nearby? Our YMCA gives us a "scholarship" so it is affordable for our one income (low income) family. They have free (or really cheap) childcare. They will watch your kids while you workout, take a class or swim! for up to two hours each child! If you don't have a gym with childcare, try taking the kids for a walk. Baby in stroller or snuggly and older child walking or in stroller (if baby in snuggly). I make my 5 yr old walk for miles with me to the pool or to a park or playground. He needs to use his energy constructively and I need to lose weight!
    the Y here is way too expensive to join...I was going to join right before I got pregnant with my second son but they wanted 750 for a yr and that was with only one child!...I'm struggling to get by right now so that unfortunately is out of the question =/
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Have your partner help out? :ohwell:
  • hasiangirl
    Options
    Have your partner help out? :ohwell:

:laugh: ....The day that happens is the day the world comes to an end...ok that was mean but its how i truely feel lol...he sleeps in until 3-5 everyday and then runs errands for about 30mins to an hour comes home jumps on the computer or goes to a friends house...then goes to bed at like 3-4am....and wonders why i'm in a b****y mood...and as many times as we have the talk it still doesnt sink in that its time for him to grow up....lol my bad now i'm just rambling...just a touchy subject with me sorry
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Do you have a double stroller or the wagon that thekids ride in - you could take them for a walk.

There use to be an elmo exercise video - geared for kids but if you did it it would still be exercise.